• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rechambering a round

How often do you rechamber a round before discarding it?

• 0 times

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once

• Twice

• Thrice

• 4 Times

• I look at it and make a decision

• I never discard it

• Total voters

Evil Ernie

imported post

If they are seated too deeply, and you're not comfortable in using them, make keychains out of them!
Get a bulletpuller, pull the bullet.
Empty out ALL of the powder, you should have an empty casing with a live primer,
pop the primer with your sidearm (by shooting it at a range, etc BE SAFE!!!)
Drill a hole thru the casing right above the rim, insert a little chain, press the bullet back in and viola! Instant keychain!
I make them for friends out of .45ACP, 9mm, 7.62x39 and 54R, 8mm, etc.

savery

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
If they are seated too deeply, and you're not comfortable in using them, make keychains out of them!
Get a bulletpuller, pull the bullet.
Empty out ALL of the powder, you should have an empty casing with a live primer,
pop the primer with your sidearm (by shooting it at a range, etc BE SAFE!!!)
Drill a hole thru the casing right above the rim, insert a little chain, press the bullet back in and viola! Instant keychain!
I make them for friends out of .45ACP, 9mm, 7.62x39 and 54R, 8mm, etc.
To make it clear... DO NOT PUT THE BULLET IN THE CASE THEN FIRE OFF THE PRIMER! only discharge a primer with no bullet in the case. Otherwise, you're going to be spending some time with a cleaning rod you won't use again.

This is experience talking here...:lol:

Huck

imported post

Man, you autoloader junkies! Always worrying about the bullet getting pushed in, the extracter gouging the cartridge rim, is the magazine spring strong enough, is a certain type of bullet gonna hang up on the loading ramp, etc.

Come into the light my children, and experience the joy of owning a revolver! :D

Attachments

• 53L.jpg
    53L.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 208

thx997303

imported post

+1 to the revolver. Just reblued my model 10 cause it was all bare metal, I wish that Perma Blue came in a larger container so I could dip it, darn stuff like stick to things that are already blued, leaves a lot of bare corners.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
I bought a box of CCI Blazer Brass once and had the only FTF I have ever had with a 1911.

It happened on the 5th round and then again on the 10th round.

It got my attention and so I examined the remaining ammo in the box.

The entire row along one side of the box sat deeper in the foam container than did the rest of the cartridges in the box.

I looked at the cartridges in that row and they were all set visably deeper in the casing than all the others.

They were so deep that the lip of the casing would not allow them to feed, without forcing the slide forward.
I had a similar situation this weekend with a box of CCI Blazer brass .45s in my XD. In my case they were not set too deep in the case to start with, but some of the bullets were so loose that every 3-4 rounds in my XD, I would get a type 3 failure with the cartridge hanging up on the ramp and tilting at an angle such that the rim did not slided up under the extractor. I was getting concerned as I had never had an FTF or FTE with the XD in 3500+ rounds, but I had not shot it in about 6 months (I know -- been busy and haven't made it to the range which is why shooting this weekend was a priority) so I chalked it up to it being dirty or not lubricated properly which also concerned me because in abuse testing thousands of rounds have been fired through XDs after intentionally stripping off all lube.

I wasn't on top of things enough to immediately check the ammo closely enough and started at the wrong place - with the pistol, field stripping, checking it out, quick cleaning of the slide paying attention to the extractor, relubing and switching mags in case it were a bad mag spring. When the situation recurred I then, finally, got my head out of my butt and checked the ammo and found 2 things. Some of the ammo had a rough nick on the side of the case rim (the box it was in was pristine) which I at first thought was a mark from my ejector on the mispositioned FTF round, but then found 2-3 left in the box with similar markings. So I thought I had found my problem until I examined the ejected unfired cartridges. The bullets were apparently loose as they had setback significantly into the case on a single FTF loading enough that it was obvious even at a casual glance.

Anyway, I switched to another box of Blazer and fired off the box with no further issues. Good learning experience as I went about the whole thing bassackwards. Instead of starting with the variable, the ammo, I started with the constant, my never before failing XD.

Now to get my post here back on topic, I do not usually worry too much about rechambering rounds. I do check my first few rounds with 2 fresh ones from the box with a ruler and a level surface (I don't have a caliper) - put the chambered one in the middle and lay a good flat ruler over it and get down level to see if it is set back much. Given that I mostly carry and rechamber my .45, and given the low chamber pressure of the .45 I don't get too very concerned except with my +P rounds and have only taken out 1 round for setback in the last year. I am more careful with the 9mm due to the higher chamber pressure.

tarzan1888

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
I bought a box of CCI Blazer Brass once and had the only FTF I have ever had with a 1911.

It happened on the 5th round and then again on the 10th round.

It got my attention and so I examined the remaining ammo in the box.

The entire row along one side of the box sat deeper in the foam container than did the rest of the cartridges in the box.

I looked at the cartridges in that row and they were all set visably deeper in the casing than all the others.

They were so deep that the lip of the casing would not allow them to feed, without forcing the slide forward.
I had a similar situation this weekend with a box of CCI Blazer brass .45s in my XD. In my case they were not set too deep in the case to start with, but some of the bullets were so loose that every 3-4 rounds in my XD, I would get a type 3 failure with the cartridge hanging up on the ramp and tilting at an angle such that the rim did not slided up under the extractor. I was getting concerned as I had never had an FTF or FTE with the XD in 3500+ rounds, but I had not shot it in about 6 months (I know -- been busy and haven't made it to the range which is why shooting this weekend was a priority) so I chalked it up to it being dirty or not lubricated properly which also concerned me because in abuse testing thousands of rounds have been fired through XDs after intentionally stripping off all lube.

I wasn't on top of things enough to immediately check the ammo closely enough and started at the wrong place - with the pistol, field stripping, checking it out, quick cleaning of the slide paying attention to the extractor, relubing and switching mags in case it were a bad mag spring. When the situation recurred I then, finally, got my head out of my butt and checked the ammo and found 2 things. Some of the ammo had a rough nick on the side of the case rim (the box it was in was pristine) which I at first thought was a mark from my ejector on the mispositioned FTF round, but then found 2-3 left in the box with similar markings. So I thought I had found my problem until I examined the ejected unfired cartridges. The bullets were apparently loose as they had setback significantly into the case on a single FTF loading enough that it was obvious even at a casual glance.

Anyway, I switched to another box of Blazer and fired off the box with no further issues. Good learning experience as I went about the whole thing bassackwards. Instead of starting with the variable, the ammo, I started with the constant, my never before failing XD.

Now to get my post here back on topic, I do not usually worry too much about rechambering rounds. I do check my first few rounds with 2 fresh ones from the box with a ruler and a level surface (I don't have a caliper) - put the chambered one in the middle and lay a good flat ruler over it and get down level to see if it is set back much. Given that I mostly carry and rechamber my .45, and given the low chamber pressure of the .45 I don't get too very concerned except with my +P rounds and have only taken out 1 round for setback in the last year. I am more careful with the 9mm due to the higher chamber pressure.

The lesson learned here is to check your ammo. I shot a lot of CCI Blazer Brass in both .45 ACP and .357 Magnum, and that one box is the only one I have ever had a problem with, but I did have some problem with Winchester WB. When they went from a regular box of 100, to the new compact boxes, in .45 ACP, I had several boxes where the top layer of ammo had glue on some of the rounds, which caused some feeding problems.

I always check each round in the top layer of the Winchester compact WB in .45 ACP, and that has solved the problem. The glue rubs right off, but it caused some problems when I didn't check.

Also deepdiver, I agree with you on the reason for not having a problem firing the over pressures rounds that I had, after I got them in the chamber, was probably because the .45 ACP is such a low-pressure round to begin with.

Tarzan

LEO 229

imported post

Huck wrote:
Man, you autoloader junkies! Always worrying about the bullet getting pushed in, the extracter gouging the cartridge rim, is the magazine spring strong enough, is a certain type of bullet gonna hang up on the loading ramp, etc.

Come into the light my children, and experience the joy of owning a revolver! :D

I hear you. And I own a few.

When you want a sure thing that will not jam or fail to fire.... a wheel gun is the way to go.

A hammerless is great for personal protection.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm not worried too much about my gun; it's built to handle +P+ on a daily basis (Ruger P-95; take a look at the chamber on that bad boy and you'll agree) so a deep-seated standard load is no sweat.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Huck wrote:

Ah yes, the wonders ofa revolver.Only 5-7 rounds capacity with no hope of extension, anything more than .357 or .45LC is too impractically powerful and large for a concealable weapon, only fast-burning powders work since the bulletcan only accelerate till itpasses the cylinder gap (wasting energy and increasing recoil),the high bore axis reduces rate of accurate fire, and the side flash from the cylinder is almost as bad as a compensating port in low light, and more dangerous. Ah yes, revolvers are such wonderful examples of the epitome of firearms.

[rhetorical question] If revolvers are such a good choice for personal defense, why has no army issued them as sidearms since the turn of the century? They were invented in the early 1800s and largely phased out of military use after 75 years, while the autoloader's over a century old and going strong.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
Huck wrote:

Ah yes, the wonders ofa revolver.Only 5-7 rounds capacity with no hope of extension, anything more than .357 or .45LC is too impractically powerful and large for a concealable weapon, only fast-burning powders work since the bulletcan only accelerate till itpasses the cylinder gap (wasting energy and increasing recoil),the high bore axis reduces rate of accurate fire, and the side flash from the cylinder is almost as bad as a compensating port in low light, and more dangerous. Ah yes, revolvers are such wonderful examples of the epitome of firearms.

[rhetorical question] If revolvers are such a good choice for personal defense, why has no army issued them as sidearms since the turn of the century? They were invented in the early 1800s and largely phased out of military use after 75 years, while the autoloader's over a century old and going strong.

Well revolvers will pretty much ALWAYS go BANG.

Semi-auto loaders may not since they can very easily jam on you. The ADVANTAGE with pistols is that you can carry more rounds with you in the firearm. I believe that's the reason the Military and LEO's use Semi-auto's instead.

If you want something you know that will NOT fail...get a wheeler gun. There are wheelers with 8 rounds in them

sw_627pc_8.jpg

S&W Performance Center model 627 ("factory custom" model) with 8-shots cylinder

(This is BEAUTIFUL. Need 1 of them DROOOLING emotivons now)

Just my .40

tarzan1888

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
Ah yes, the wonders ofa revolver.Only 5-7 rounds capacity with no hope of extension,....

My 1911 came with a 7 round Magazine......not a lot of difference there between my revolver (7 round) and my 1911 (8 round)

Liko81 wrote:
.......anything more than .357 or .45LC is too impractically powerful and large for a concealable weapon.....

And what is wrong with a .357 Magnumor a .45 LC in their ability to stop a bad guy?

Liko81 wrote:
.........only fast-burning powders work since the bulletcan only accelerate till itpasses the cylinder gap (wasting energy and increasing recoil),.......

If this is true then why do you get higher velocities in say a .357 Magnum with a 4 inch barrel than you do in a snubby?

Liko81 wrote:

..........the high bore axis reduces rate of accurate fire.......,

? Could you please explain what you mean here?

Liko81 wrote:
..........and the side flash from the cylinder is almost as bad as a compensating port in low light, and more dangerous.

They do have a lot of side flash, but how is this more dangerous?

Liko81 wrote:
........If revolvers are such a good choice for personal defense, why has no army issued them as sidearms since the turn of the century? They were invented in the early 1800s and largely phased out of military use after 75 years, while the autoloader's over a century old and going strong.

Which century?......... Yes they aren't used much any more, although many revolvers were issued during WWI

I have a good friend who is former OSI and he and many others were issued a .38 for his service during and after Vietnam.

It is true that it is not currently issued to the regular fighting men but that has more to do with capacity than reliability or serviceability.

There is a huge difference between the needs of people fighting a war and people defending home or family. If I was fighting a war I would not carry JUST a pistol.....any postol.

Tarzan

PS I own revolvers and auto loaders and have a need and a use for both. :)

thx997303

imported post

+1 to that. I just bought an autoloader for my wife.

course she will carry the revolver until she gets useed t o the autoloader

compmanio365

imported post

I don't care for revolvers as much when I'm not the one shooting them. Every time I've stood next to someone on the range shooting a revolver, I get nasty hot crap spraying me on the side the person is on.....I guess when the gun fires, unburned powder or something sprays out the gap between the cylinder and the barrel, and it's none to pleasant for the other people nearby at the range. I've shot a 9mm and .38 spl revolvers, and they are OK, but I wouldn't use them as my primary carry weapon for sure.

Huck

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
Most Europeon armies issued revolvers as standard sidearms up to, and including WWII. It was'nt until after WWII that just about every Military in the world started using automatics as standard issue.

If your reasoning that a auto in vastly superior just because the Military uses them think about this... The US Military dropped the sure manstopping .45acp for the not even close to being as goodeuropellet. (9mm) I might add that the US Army field tested the Luger pistol, which is 9mm, not long after it was introduced, which I believe was in 1903,and rejected it because it had insufficient stopping power.

Just because the Military uses something dos'nt mean it's the best way to go.

Legba

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Don't they have dividers at the range you go to?

No, but that's not a problem. With the buzz cut, the leather trench coat (in season), the sunglasses, and the bona fide fascist weaponry, nobody wants to get anywhere near me at the range for some reason.

-ljp

Legba

imported post

Eek - no. God, now I understand. Keanu I ain't, but I could see how someone might wonder. ;-/

It was cool when I was doing it before that lousy series came out, anyway.

-ljp