Thread: Memorial Day Pit Shoot @ Capitol Forest

Post imported post

I know its a last minute thing..... but I'd like to see if anyone is interested in going to the pit on Monday (Memorial Day) to do some shooting.

My wife & son, compmanio365 & his wife are going to head down there. I'll also do a site survey and get pics of the trash damage.

Post imported post

it sounds great and i really wish i could make it. But i cant afford the gas, aside from bullits

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    I know its a last minute thing..... but I'd like to see if anyone is interested in going to the pit on Monday (Memorial Day) to do some shooting.

My wife & son, compmanio365 & his wife are going to head down there. I'll also do a site survey and get pics of the trash damage.
    Not a good day for shooting at the pit from past experience. Way, way too many ATVers roaring all over the place and climbing the sides of the pit on a holiday weekend. Normal weekends are bad enough. I never shoot there except weekdays during the summer. The ATVs arerestricted riding in that area fromOct.31st to Aprils 1st so winter time works well, summers not so good.

Post imported post

Yeah, we dealt with them the whole time we were there. I don't understand; they have miles and miles of trails, but they want to ride in the shooting pit designated as such by the state? Get the hell out before you get shot.....I was sorely tempted to just start shooting while they were riding around, and if they got shot, oh well.....you don't run down range to pick daisies, now do you? What a bunch of ********......

Post imported post

Lat/Lon of this "pit"?

Post imported post

Two jerks decided to hold up 10+ shooters to "show off" their skills. We kept waiting for one of them to flip the bike and slide back down the hill. We needed that rock buster of yours Bear that would have cleared them out.

There was a notice at the pit that said it would be closed to the public on June 9th & 10th.

Pics of the pit & trash:

http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/dow...t/IMG00004.jpg

http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/dow...t/IMG00005.jpg

http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/dow...t/IMG00007.jpg

http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/dow...t/IMG00009.jpg

Post imported post

deanf wrote:
    Lat/Lon of this "pit"?
    46 degrees 57' 26.20" N x 122 degrees 59' 11.48' W

The DNR Triangle Pit is located near the junction of Waddle Creek & Sherman Rd.
    A Health Colsultation was done in September 2006. There is a satellite photo on page 23 of the pdf.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/HAC/pha/DNR...itHC093006.pdf

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    Yeah, we dealt with them the whole time we were there. I don't understand; they have miles and miles of trails, but they want to ride in the shooting pit designated as such by the state? Get the hell out before you get shot.....I was sorely tempted to just start shooting while they were riding around, and if they got shot, oh well.....you don't run down range to pick daisies, now do you? What a bunch of ********......
    Actually that whole area and a large portion of Capitol Forest plus the campground across the roadare alldesignated as an OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) riding area and a designated and numbered trail runs right through the pit. Technically you guys were the ******* shooting across a designated trail, which is against the law, just like shooting across a road.

Post imported post

Capitol State Forest Recreation and Public Access Plan:
    http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/a...t_rec_plan.pdf

Post imported post

From the looks of the trash being left behind I would bet that it won't be very long until the trail riders vs the shooters becomes a moot point.

I hope I am wrong. But if I were in charge of that forest I would shut down the range.

bob

Post imported post

In 2005 they were spending $4000. a year on trash clean up. I'd expect 3x's that now. After reading that report I see they are relying on volunteer groups & expecting the responsible shooters to do the clean up.

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    Capitol State Forest Recreation and Public Access Plan:
    http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/a...t_rec_plan.pdf

Just like DNR to intermingle two sports that are incompatible in the same area. Their real plan is to make the King's Forestprivate so there will be no recreational use at all by te public. The C-Line is criss-crossed by numbered trails all over the place.

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    compmanio365 wrote:
    Actually that whole area and a large portion of Capitol Forest plus the campground across the roadare alldesignated as an OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) riding area and a designated and numbered trail runs right through the pit. Technically you guys were the ******* shooting across a designated trail, which is against the law, just like shooting across a road.
    There was a sign going right into the pit that it was a designated shooting area........I don't know how much clearer it can get......either way, next time, I know of a few places in the hills out east of Bonney Lake that are so far out you can shoot and not get in trouble, and you won't meet anyone else once you get out there. Only about an hour's drive from Puyallup.

Post imported post

Judging by the pictures, I'd say that if us shooters don't make a volunteer clean up the trash day out there, that place isn't going to be open much longer.

Post imported post

A couple photos of the pit (sorry about the size):

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    deanf wrote:
    Lat/Lon of this "pit"?
    46 degrees 57' 26.20" N x 122 degrees 59' 11.48' W

The DNR Triangle Pit is located near the junction of Waddle Creek & Sherman Rd.
    A Health Colsultation was done in September 2006. There is a satellite photo on page 23 of the pdf.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/HAC/pha/DNR...itHC093006.pdf

The coordinates you have posted are not at Waddell Creek and Sherman Rd. That position is on 88th Ave. SW. The pit near the intersection of Waddell Creek and Sherman Rd. is N46° 56.593' 123° 04.311' (or N46° 56' 36" W123° 04' 19"). I don't know which pit you shoot at, I'm just sayin'...

Post imported post

Ajetpilot wrote
    The coordinates you have posted are not at Waddell Creek and Sherman Rd. That position is on 88th Ave. SW. The pit near the intersection of Waddell Creek and Sherman Rd. is N46° 56.593' 123° 04.311' (or N46° 56' 36" W123° 04' 19"). I don't know which pit you shoot at, I'm just sayin'...
    Nice catch!! I must have bumped the mouse on Google Earth and didn't check my pointer.

Post imported post

Went out with RWW for an informal shoot. I brought the .22 Savage, the Sig 1911, and my .38 Special Taurus Model 85. He brought his .22 rifle, his .38 Special S&W, a Taurus 9mm, and his new .45ACP Springfield XP. RWW impressed me with his awesome pistol skillz and I wasn’t too shabby with the long range .22LR. We were hitting clay pigeons and golf balls pretty consistently at ~85 yards or so.

The menu:

Shooting the Savage:

All the waythrough:

Not all the way through:

Post imported post

No fair holding the ball in front of the rifle..... J/K

Post imported post

Im glad to have a shooting range close to my house, but i'd sure wish i could find a pit closer to Arlington/Marysville.

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    RWW impressed me with his awesome pistol skillz and I wasn’t too shabby with the long range .22LR. We were hitting clay pigeons and golf balls pretty consistently at ~85 yards or so.

Yes, Ikilled that Clay Pigeon at 85 yards with the XD-45. I will NOT say if that was thepigeon I was aiming at.