• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Memorial Day Pit Shoot @ Capitol Forest

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I know its a last minute thing..... but I'd like to see if anyone is interested in going to the pit on Monday (Memorial Day) to do some shooting.

My wife & son, compmanio365 & his wife are going to head down there. I'll also do a site survey and get pics of the trash damage.

Guest1650

imported post

it sounds great and i really wish i could make it. But i cant afford the gas, aside from bullits :banghead:

Bear 45/70

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
I know its a last minute thing..... but I'd like to see if anyone is interested in going to the pit on Monday (Memorial Day) to do some shooting.

My wife & son, compmanio365 & his wife are going to head down there. I'll also do a site survey and get pics of the trash damage.
Not a good day for shooting at the pit from past experience. Way, way too many ATVers roaring all over the place and climbing the sides of the pit on a holiday weekend. Normal weekends are bad enough. I never shoot there except weekdays during the summer. The ATVs arerestricted riding in that area fromOct.31st to Aprils 1st so winter time works well, summers not so good.

compmanio365

imported post

Yeah, we dealt with them the whole time we were there. I don't understand; they have miles and miles of trails, but they want to ride in the shooting pit designated as such by the state? Get the hell out before you get shot.....I was sorely tempted to just start shooting while they were riding around, and if they got shot, oh well.....you don't run down range to pick daisies, now do you? What a bunch of assholes......:banghead:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Two jerks decided to hold up 10+ shooters to "show off" their skills. We kept waiting for one of them to flip the bike and slide back down the hill. We needed that rock buster of yours Bear that would have cleared them out.

There was a notice at the pit that said it would be closed to the public on June 9th & 10th.

Pics of the pit & trash:

http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/download/triangle-pit/IMG00004.jpg

http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/download/triangle-pit/IMG00005.jpg

http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/download/triangle-pit/IMG00007.jpg

http://download.rbn.com/rbn/bill/download/triangle-pit/IMG00009.jpg

Bear 45/70

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Yeah, we dealt with them the whole time we were there. I don't understand; they have miles and miles of trails, but they want to ride in the shooting pit designated as such by the state? Get the hell out before you get shot.....I was sorely tempted to just start shooting while they were riding around, and if they got shot, oh well.....you don't run down range to pick daisies, now do you? What a bunch of assholes......:banghead:
Actually that whole area and a large portion of Capitol Forest plus the campground across the roadare alldesignated as an OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) riding area and a designated and numbered trail runs right through the pit. Technically you guys were the asshole shooting across a designated trail, which is against the law, just like shooting across a road.

BobR

imported post

From the looks of the trash being left behind I would bet that it won't be very long until the trail riders vs the shooters becomes a moot point.

I hope I am wrong. But if I were in charge of that forest I would shut down the range.

bob

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

In 2005 they were spending $4000. a year on trash clean up. I'd expect 3x's that now. After reading that report I see they are relying on volunteer groups & expecting the responsible shooters to do the clean up.

Bear 45/70

compmanio365

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
Actually that whole area and a large portion of Capitol Forest plus the campground across the roadare alldesignated as an OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) riding area and a designated and numbered trail runs right through the pit. Technically you guys were the asshole shooting across a designated trail, which is against the law, just like shooting across a road.
There was a sign going right into the pit that it was a designated shooting area........I don't know how much clearer it can get......either way, next time, I know of a few places in the hills out east of Bonney Lake that are so far out you can shoot and not get in trouble, and you won't meet anyone else once you get out there. Only about an hour's drive from Puyallup.

thewise1

imported post

Judging by the pictures, I'd say that if us shooters don't make a volunteer clean up the trash day out there, that place isn't going to be open much longer.

compmanio365

imported post

A couple photos of the pit (sorry about the size):

Photo-0032.jpg

trash1.jpg

trash2.jpg

Ajetpilot

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
deanf wrote:
Lat/Lon of this "pit"?
46 degrees 57' 26.20" N x 122 degrees 59' 11.48' W

The DNR Triangle Pit is located near the junction of Waddle Creek & Sherman Rd.
A Health Colsultation was done in September 2006. There is a satellite photo on page 23 of the pdf.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/HAC/pha/DNRTriangleGavelPit/DNRTriangleGravelPitHC093006.pdf
The coordinates you have posted are not at Waddell Creek and Sherman Rd. That position is on 88th Ave. SW. The pit near the intersection of Waddell Creek and Sherman Rd. is N46° 56.593' 123° 04.311' (or N46° 56' 36" W123° 04' 19"). I don't know which pit you shoot at, I'm just sayin'...

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Ajetpilot wrote
The coordinates you have posted are not at Waddell Creek and Sherman Rd. That position is on 88th Ave. SW. The pit near the intersection of Waddell Creek and Sherman Rd. is N46° 56.593' 123° 04.311' (or N46° 56' 36" W123° 04' 19"). I don't know which pit you shoot at, I'm just sayin'...
Nice catch!! I must have bumped the mouse on Google Earth and didn't check my pointer.

Mainsail

imported post

Went out with RWW for an informal shoot. I brought the .22 Savage, the Sig 1911, and my .38 Special Taurus Model 85. He brought his .22 rifle, his .38 Special S&W, a Taurus 9mm, and his new .45ACP Springfield XP. RWW impressed me with his awesome pistol skillz and I wasn’t too shabby with the long range .22LR. We were hitting clay pigeons and golf balls pretty consistently at ~85 yards or so.

The menu:
98632754-1a17-41d6-b9c7-db1b94987926.jpg

Shooting the Savage:
6564648a-8453-4b4d-867f-744917db32cd.jpg

All the waythrough:
eb57b8db-d93b-435b-96d9-c7ca78a2fa99.jpg

Not all the way through:
7ebc77aa-ac74-46cf-8be0-0ccb0aac106e.jpg