• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Memorial Day Rememberance

caltain

imported post

Please join me for a moment to give thanks for all those who have vowed to make us free, and to keep us free. Just a moment of contemplation.

From our founding fathers to the fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, wives, husbands, neighbors and friends, we take the special gift of freedom and security in that freedom. They have given so much, to so many, for so long. Some gave their lives, some their freedoms, some their future of an easier road or a more fulfilling life. Some carry the burdens of the battle still, in their minds, hearts, or on their ravaged bodies.

We know that the price has been high. We know that the fight has been terrible and long. We know that the debt that we owe you can never be repaid. You have all given us a gift that is truely beyond measure.

This day we reserve to honor you, who have heard the call and did not turn away as did many before and since. When you your body is weak and your mind troubled, when you doubt and ask why, remember that we are there with you. In our hearts we give you strength. In our minds we give you peace. Always we give you thanks.

We also thank those that surround and support our fighting men and women. Many of you also have paid the price. We are thankful that you may give the aid and support that we cannot.

We know that the fight to preserve a thing is a war that cannot be won, and we take comfort in the knowledge that when one has fallen, another will step forward to take his place, and that there will always be another brave American to do so, for that is the price of freedom.

Every day, but especially on this day, you are in our hearts and on our minds.

We will not take the gifts that you have given so freely for granted.

Thank you.

Dan Brooks

apjonas

imported post

Nice sentiments, however you want Veterans' Day (11/11). This is Memorial Day. There is a difference.

caltain

imported post

Actually, I don't think that anyone wants either day of rememberance to ever have been needed, but I try to recognize that "fallen" takes many forms, only one of which is death. This was intended to recognize all the ways lives have ended in the fight, and all those who gave up their lives, whether they came home or not. For every one fallen, there are hundreds or thousands that gave all or some of their lives just as finally, in one way or another.

I have chosen to thank them all equally at every opportunity I get. I don't think that I should need to wait for some other day or a special occasion. I try to thank these heros every day, but that's just me. Sometimes we need an occasion to focus our attention on the important things that we don't see every day. I'm lucky in that I don't. It may make me unusual, but I think of these things nearly every day. Survivors of a tragic situation often urge others to say "I love you" to the people that you do. I do, so I am.

Thanks for the compliment, though. I appreciate that you took the time to read and think about what I wrote. Thinking is the first step in understanding. I hope you understand me a bit better. It means a lot that people spend some of their finite fortune of time to seek knowledge and understanding. I hope you don't feel that yours was wasted.

Dan

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Each year during celebrations and remembrances, I post a little piece about that specific day/period outside of my module at work. These writings go back 15 years, but their meaning has not changed one bit. There is one for Memorial Day hanging there at this moment. Most always, I receive positive comments when comments are offered. I cannot recall having ever received a negative remark. I put these out for Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

I make no apologies or excuses for my love of country and my patriotism. I certainly make no apologies for my respect and reverance for those who have gone in harm's way and for those who have given up all of their tomorrows that I might have today. On the contrary, while I respect the rights of others who might disagree with my stance, I hold no respect whatsoever for them personally. The last sentence of my Memorial Day writing goes something like this;

"We owe them so much.. certainly more than empty words from empty hearts."

Your writing was very nice on this day and very well done. I share and echo your sentiments for those who have done the hard work so that we might carry on that which was passed down to us.