• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hoplophobia post in the law library

caltain

imported post

I just read about "hoplophobia" in the law library forum. Very insiteful. I definately see some truth in it. I certainly base some of my identity on my association with others who carry. I don't see why it wouldnt be the case with other beliefs and groups. Thankfully, I've based some of my identity on an empowering belief. The sad part is that we all could feel safer and more in control of our welfare if we just recognized that we all have these rights as Americans, if we only use them.

There's some good advice about ways to deal with antis. Some of the ideas I have lucked into using, when I wasn't frustrated with the blindness and fury that these discussions provoke.

I've always thought that it's not the people that know you that you need to convince. If they know you and are still afraid that you're going to go crazy and kill them, you both probably need to seek professional help of some sort. It's still hard to convince people that you shouldn't watch the gun, you should watch the man or woman behind it.

I once got my permit checked at a local stop-n-rob at about 3am. The officer drew her weapon and asked that I turn around slowly. I had a short jacket ride upon me. This being about two weeks after I got my permit, I was CCing everywhere. She was alone and the store had been robbed three times that I know of. I turned around and my eyes never left hers until her gun was back in her holster. After we had concluded the relavent bits of business, we had a nice long chat over slurpees about guns and cops and crime and everything else that came to mind. She mentioned that I never once glanced at her gun while it was pointed at me, and indeed had to ask the relevant data (caliber, make, hers or furnished, etc.) about it. I replied that it wasn't the gun that was gonna shoot me, it was her.

My point with the story is that too many people focus on the gun, which never mugged, raped, abducted or killed anyone. To my knowledge, in fact, no gun has ever been convicted of committing a violent crime! It's just a tool, like a car. Cars...don't let me get started on the relative dangers of cars and guns. That's a topic for another day.

Just some thoughts that the reading gave me.

Dan

kg4bhr

Glock27Bill

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
Test for hoplophobia on this site has a serious flaw - I selected the lowest possible choice for all questions (1) and the results said that I had MILD hoplophobia!

Oh well, I can worry about that now. :)

Yata hey

You know that the reason homes with guns are dangerous is because those nasty things will sneak up on you while you're asleep. THAT'S why they recommend you keep them in a safe.

If you need someone who can save you from those hostile objects, send me a PM.:D