• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How can I get my wife to....

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ok how can I get my wife to be more easy around hand guns, or just guns in general?

Just over a year ago I got her to shoot her first gun, it was my 1903 30.06 hunting rifle. That was her first and last time, she did quite well.

Other than that I can’t even get her to hold my hand gun un-loaded. Its almost amusing how she runs away if I have it out of the case or holster, but every time I have it on, OC'n or she feels it when I CC, she asks me to put it away. I usually tell her no.

She'll go on about how guns are bad and kill people, and yesterday she decided to say they go off by them self’s on accident. Of course I tell her people kill people and they cannot go off by accident that the trigger has to be pulled.

We are also from Illinois :banghead:and she wants to move back (I tell her hell no), and tells me I have to get rid of all my guns. I love telling her she’s wrong and that we'll never live in Cook county anyway, and I go on about how criminals are criminals and do what they want just like the latestgang shooting and all other violent crimes in Chicago where law abiding citizens are at there mercybecause they can’t defend themselves.

I also ask her the what if's, if someone were to assault her or hold her at gun or knife point, what would she do? Her response is "she can’t shoot someone". I tell her I wouldn’t think twice. Then I turn it on her and ask her well what if it was our daughter? What if someone were hurting her or going to rape her. She'll say that’s not fair and she can’t say she would or would not do something. I tell her nothing is fair and it’s a possibility.

I tell her you have to respect weapons just like any other dangerous item, you have to know how they operate them properly, the usual safety rules, and the laws.

Unfortunately we haven’t gone out together where I have OC'd but I'm sure she would ask me to put it away.

I'm not asking her to carry a gun herself, although I would like her to after enough practice with one, but I would like her to get a CCP in the case one of my hand guns was with her.

She’s not mean or rude over the subject she just thinks there bad, and I'm having a hard time changing her mind even with actual examples.

Next month were going to go to Impact to shoot a few different guns like my hand gun, my AR-15 (she don’t like it either “it’s intimidating”), rent an MP5, and maybe a revolver. Hopefully she will feel better after actually shooting them.

So what canI do and what have some of you done?

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

usSiR wrote:
Just over a year ago I got her to shoot her first gun, it was my 1903 30.06 hunting rifle. That was her first and last time...
I think this is the root of your problem with getting your wife comfortable with guns. Maybe you should have started her out on a .22 or something with a little less recoil than an '.06. It's kinda like putting a person afraid of horses on Thunderstreak the stallion instead of Blaze the pony.

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
I think this is the root of your problem with getting your wife comfortable with guns. Maybe you should have started her out on a .22 or something with a little less recoil than an '.06. It's kinda like putting a person afraid of horses on Thunderstreak the stallion instead of Blaze the pony.
It has a very large cushion pad on the butt-stock, she never complained about it hurting.

GeneticsDave

imported post

Impact Guns teaches a Women's Self-Defense Course (usually taught by a woman) - it's for women, by women. They go over all different methods of self-defense including non-weapon, spray and and firearms. This may be less intimidating for her than to be around you, someone who is passionate about the subject. My wife came home knowing that if she were put in a bad situation, she could use the gun to defend herself and family members. She still hasn't gotten her to the point where she wants to carry a gun, but she knows how to use one and that's good for now.

What ever you do don't push her into it or argue with her about it, that just hurts you in your goal. Let her bring up the subject. Stand firm in your decisions, but don't try to convince her, because you won't be able to. She needs to come to the realization that firearms are a self-defense and hunting tool all by herself. Eventually something will happen in her life or the life of someone she knows that will make her question using a firearm for self-defense, then she will come to you and tell you she wants her CFP. Until then, just respect her opinions and when she asks, tell her the real reasons you carry a firearm - tell her about your right and responsibility to defend her and other innocents against the evil in this world. This is the method and means you have chosen, she must determine her own methods and means.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
usSiR wrote:
Just over a year ago I got her to shoot her first gun, it was my 1903 30.06 hunting rifle. That was her first and last time...

2nd that. I am a pretty good sized guy. 6 feet, 230 pounds and I was kinda a scared about the recoil the first time shooting it. HELL of a kick:what:.

TJ

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
OC-Glock19 wrote:
usSiR wrote:

2nd that. I am a pretty good sized guy. 6 feet, 230 pounds and I was kinda a scared about the recoil the first time shooting it. HELL of a kick:what:.

TJ

Aw come on guys... After she shot the first one I asked her how it was, she said fine and asked her if she wanted to shoot again. She shot it like 3 or 4 times and has never complained about it. Its not like I gave her a Dessert Eagle or 50 BMG to shoot.

I have shoot other 30.06's that only had the stock metal plate on the butt-stock, mine is nothing like that.

220ST1904A4.jpg

see, look at the nice cushion on it, I can shoot a whole box of bullets with it before my shoulder hurtsmy cheek usually hurts first, oh look there is my Sig too.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

usSiR wrote:
Ok how can I get my wife to be more easy around hand guns, or just guns in general?

Just over a year ago I got her to shoot her first gun, it was my 1903 30.06 hunting rifle. That was her first and last time, she did quite well.

Other than that I can’t even get her to hold my hand gun un-loaded. Its almost amusing how she runs away if I have it out of the case or holster, but every time I have it on, OC'n or she feels it when I CC, she asks me to put it away. I usually tell her no.

She'll go on about how guns are bad and kill people, and yesterday she decided to say they go off by them self’s on accident. Of course I tell her people kill people and they cannot go off by accident that the trigger has to be pulled.

We are also from Illinois :banghead:and she wants to move back (I tell her hell no), and tells me I have to get rid of all my guns. I love telling her she’s wrong and that we'll never live in Cook county anyway, and I go on about how criminals are criminals and do what they want just like the latestgang shooting and all other violent crimes in Chicago where law abiding citizens are at there mercybecause they can’t defend themselves.

I also ask her the what if's, if someone were to assault her or hold her at gun or knife point, what would she do? Her response is "she can’t shoot someone". I tell her I wouldn’t think twice. Then I turn it on her and ask her well what if it was our daughter? What if someone were hurting her or going to rape her. She'll say that’s not fair and she can’t say she would or would not do something. I tell her nothing is fair and it’s a possibility.

I tell her you have to respect weapons just like any other dangerous item, you have to know how they operate them properly, the usual safety rules, and the laws.

Unfortunately we haven’t gone out together where I have OC'd but I'm sure she would ask me to put it away.

I'm not asking her to carry a gun herself, although I would like her to after enough practice with one, but I would like her to get a CCP in the case one of my hand guns was with her.

She’s not mean or rude over the subject she just thinks there bad, and I'm having a hard time changing her mind even with actual examples.

Next month were going to go to Impact to shoot a few different guns like my hand gun, my AR-15 (she don’t like it either “it’s intimidating”), rent an MP5, and maybe a revolver. Hopefully she will feel better after actually shooting them.

So what canI do and what have some of you done?

Problems I see:

1. Her first time shooting and you gave her a 30-06... that's a cannon for a first time shooter, no matter how big they are. Not saying your wife is big, but you should have started with something less loud and with less recoil.. like a .22

2. " She'll go on about how guns are bad and kill people..." be a smart ass. Take her into the living room, place your loaded pistol on the coffee table, and order it to KILL! Even better if you can do this while she is cooking dinner and has a large butcher knige in her hand. Then pull up some articles on google about how people get stabbed to death all the time.

Explain how that's like blaming forks for making people fat or blaming a hammer for a house being built wrong. She's blaming a tool for the act of a person. it's completely irrational.

Ask her to read these:

http://www.gunlaws.com/Hoplophobia Analysis.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/guns/sheep.html
http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/node/169

3. ask her if you two own a fire extinguisher. When she says yes, (I hope to God...) ask her the rhetorical "why?" when she says that it's in case of a fire and because the fire department sometimes can't get there in time, just smile and look at your pistol/rifle/shotgun.

Even though I hate them. "I'd rather have a 1911 in my hand than 911 on the phone..."

--

Carry your gun.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Even though I hate them. "I'd rather have a 1911 in my hand than 911 on the phone..."

raisedeyebrow.gif
How can anybody hate a 1911? I love my Glock to pieces, but those Kimbers sure are pretty!
drool5.gif

mi_eclipse_3-3_jpg.jpg

drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif
drool5.gif

BTW....did I say that I am droooooooling
drool5.gif

TJ

P.S "I love my Glock to pieces". Let's take it to target practice and I will show you how we can "love" it to pieces:lol:D.S

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree about having her shoot a 30-06 her first time. That might have scared her for good. Have her shoot a .22 and get use to it, THEN move up from there. Have her talk to another women or hang out with one of us that enjoy the company of guns!

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
2. " She'll go on about how guns are bad and kill people..." be a smart ass. Take her into the living room, place your loaded pistol on the coffee table, and order it to KILL!
[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/X6bbXgUNOws&hl[/flash]

Paulimus

imported post

Divorce her. I know you and her have a daughter, but it'll be good lesson for her when she grows up: Don't try to change a man.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Paulimus wrote:
Divorce her. I know you and her have a daughter, but it'll be good lesson for her when she grows up: Don't try to change a man.

I didn't wanna say it. But I thought this to myself too:(when I read the OP. Sad thinking.

TJ

thx997303

imported post

Very sad, it's probably pretty hard to be married to somebody that thinks in the exact opposite on a matter of such a serious nature.

Good luck

Outsider

imported post

I had my gun on the coffee table the other day (holstered because I just had taken it off) and my wife and I talked about this. She said that exact same thing, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" and did that exact same thing of "go ahead, gun, kill!" I love me wife! :D Even though she didn't let me OC at the zoo...

thx997303

imported post

Yeah cool wives are cool. My wife expects me to OC.

She didn't see my gun with me the other day and said "Where's your gun? Go get it.":D:D:D:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:monkey:monkey:monkey

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Outsider wrote:
I had my gun on the coffee table the other day (holstered because I just had taken it off) and my wife and I talked about this. She said that exact same thing, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" and did that exact same thing of "go ahead, gun, kill!" I love me wife! :D Even though she didn't let me OC at the zoo...

Outsider, that's called progress. 1 step at a time in the RIGHT direction:celebrate

TJ