• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Keep hitting this poll on Ohio gun transport in cars

PavePusher

imported post

Don't remember seeing this yet, so here you are. Red highlights are mine.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2008/05/24/ddn052408concealedinside.html

Gun law proposals raise concerns
Some police officials are against transport clause, but State Patrol won't comment.
Vote: Do you think this legislation should go through?

By Lucas Sullivan

Staff Writer

Saturday, May 24, 2008

While state law enforcement agencies have been vocal in opposing recent gun legislation proposals, some have criticized the Ohio Highway Patrol for not speaking up.

The legislation is part of Senate Bill 184 and would allow registered handgun owners to carry unloaded firearms and ammunition in their vehicles. The National Rifle Association is pushing the proposal.

"All this does is provide another loophole for people to carry firearms in their cars," Dayton police union President Lt. Randy Beane said.
"This means you can have a gun in the seat next to you and the ammo right beside it. This puts officers and the public more at risk."

Current legislation makes it illegal to transport a handgun and ammunition without a conceal-and-carry permit.

On Wednesday, May 21, a House committee headed by Rep. John J. White, R-Kettering, heard testimony from law enforcement officials, but members of the patrol declined to speak.

The patrol's lack of opinion puzzled lawmakers since it was instrumental in crafting the original Carry Concealed Weapons law.

"It is complexing," White said. "But it's understandable since they report to the governor and the governor supports the amendments."

The patrol said it's not being muzzled by Gov. Ted Strickland.

"We want to wait and see what the final version is," patrol spokesman Lt. Shawn Davis said. "An amendment has not been accepted by the (House) committee as of yet. Nothing has been formally introduced for us to comment on."

Proponents of the legislation said it is intended to protect law-abiding citizens who wish to use their firearms in a lawful way, such as hunters, gun lovers and sport shooters.

"How many times have (police officers) found a criminal carrying an unloaded gun?" said Jim Irvinne, a spokesman for the Buckeye Firearms Association, which helped craft the legislation. "If someone is intending to commit a crime, they aren't thinking of the law to begin with. They are going to do it no matter what the law says."

The proposal would also allow off-duty officers to carry guns inside bars and prevent law enforcement from seizing legal guns during government-declared emergencies.

Some law enforcement officers aren't too concerned about the change, agreeing with Irvinne that those who commit gun violence disregard the law as it is now.

"It's not going to impact the way we conduct our business," Dayton police Sgt. Chris Williams said. "Law-abiding citizens are not our problem."

White said the bill is expected to pass out of his committee on Tuesday, May 27, and head to the House for a vote on Wednesday. White said he expects Senate approval soon after.

Despite not having the backing of some law enforcement, Strickland said he would sign the bill into law.

Legba

imported post

I wonder if there's an amnesty clause... It figures that a Dayton cop would whine about this... As for Sgt. Williams' comment, he obviously doesn't talk to the detectives much. They think law-abiding people don't - or shouldn't - have guns at all there. JMO.

edit: On the strength of this encouragement, I've perpared an application for executive clemency (pardon) which I'll be submitting to the Ohio Parole Board tomorrow. They'll make a recommendation and forward it to the governor. Rulings typically take at least 2months. Will apprise.

-ljp

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The article talks about "registered gun owners."

Do you guys in Ohio get a bar code stamped to the back of your heads in Ohio if you buy a gun??

Legba

imported post

Yeah, I didn't get that either. We don'thave "registration" here (although I've had cops ask me if my guns were registered).

-ljp

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1]Yes[/size][/font]
yellow.gif

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]89.29%[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]567[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1]No[/size][/font]
yellow.gif

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]8.66%[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]55[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1]Not sure[/size][/font]
yellow.gif

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]1.42%[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]9[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1]No opinion[/size][/font]
yellow.gif

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]0.63%[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]4[/font]

Seif5034

imported post

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1]Yes[/size][/font]
yellow.gif

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]89.38%[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]572[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1]No[/size][/font]
yellow.gif

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]8.59%[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]55[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1]Not sure[/size][/font]
yellow.gif

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]1.41%[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]9[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=-1]No opinion[/size][/font]
yellow.gif

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]0.62%[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica]4[/font]

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I for one think it is a good thing that a lot of Ohio LE is opposing this. In MO, anyone 21 years of age or older who is not prohibited from owning a handgun can carry any loaded handgun(s) legal to own in the state anywhere in any manner in the vehicle, open or concealed. loaded or not. Well, as MO's example shows, being that we have daily shootings everywhere and blood running down the interestates from the massive shootouts we continuously have on our highways and byways that going to such extents to not infringe upon the citizens' constitutional rights is essentially a death sentence for untold other citizens and a recipe for mass murders of LEOs. :quirky

I think it a sad commentary that so many Ohio LE has no faith in the integrity and judgment of those who employ them do police their communities.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Well, I for one think it is a good thing that a lot of Ohio LE is opposing this. In MO, anyone 21 years of age or older who is not prohibited from owning a handgun can carry any loaded handgun(s) legal to own in the state anywhere in any manner in the vehicle, open or concealed. loaded or not.
Actually, i think MO's traveling statute allows carry at age 18 in vehicles - right?