Thread: pistol purchase?

Post imported post

i'm 17 and want to start carrying for my 18th B-day. If it's possible to have my dad buy a handgun for my b-day how would we go about doing it? i'd preferably not buy from a private dealer because i don't know anyone who shoots handguns so it'd have to be purchased from a FFL-holding store

Post imported post

Your dad buying you one, then transferring it to you would be called a straw purchase. You can own a handgun at 18, but you can't get it from a dealer until you're 21. 18-20= private transaction only. You still need the purchase permit, but no form 4473.

The loophole is that your dad can get you one as a gift, and mark it as such on the form 4473. I'd suggest a handgun for your 18th birthday.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    Your dad buying you one, then transferring it to you would be called a straw purchase. You can own a handgun at 18, but you can't get it from a dealer until you're 21. 18-20= private transaction only. You still need the purchase permit, but no form 4473.

The loophole is that your dad can get you one as a gift, and mark it as such on the form 4473. I'd suggest a handgun for your 18th birthday.
    My understanding is that an 18 year old can buy a handgun from an individual, but not from a licensed dealer. So the dad could buy it from a dealer then sell of give it to his son. Or the son could buy one from a private person all by his lonesome.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

ok, awesome. thanks for clearing that up for me guys

Post imported post

This one I have checked into myself many times. Your dad MUST give it to you as a GIFT. If you pay him for it, it will still be considered a "Straw Purchase", it doesn't matter if it is a relative or any individual. You cannot by purpose or design purchase a pistol for anyone, unless (as I was told, by an unidentified person by phone--ATF in Det.) you wait at least 30 days after the purchase date.

Post imported post

Seif5034 wrote:
    i'm 17 and want to start carrying for my 18th B-day. If it's possible to have my dad buy a handgun for my b-day how would we go about doing it? i'd preferably not buy from a private dealer because i don't know anyone who shoots handguns so it'd have to be purchased from a FFL-holding store

Per MSP

5. In Michigan, what is a License to Purchase and is one needed in every case where a pistol is acquired?

MCL 28.422 A License to Purchase is a license required prior to acquisition of a pistol by purchase orgift. The important part of the License to Purchase is the affidavit signed by the purchaser swearing to their own qualifications. A License to Purchase is not needed for anyone with a valid Concealed Pistol License, for firearms dealers purchasing from wholesalers, or for relics, curios, antiques, etc., not made for modern ammunition.

(Emphasis in Bold)

ALSO;

6. What are the steps necessary to purchase and legally possess a pistol in Michigan without a concealed pistol license?

MCL 28.422&MCL 28.429The prospective purchaser must successfully pass (70% or more) a basic pistol safety questionnaire and obtain a License to Purchase, which is valid for 10 days, from the local law enforcement agency. The purchaser must sign a notarized sworn statement that they meet the Michigan qualifications to purchase/obtain a pistol. At the time of the purchase, the purchaser and the seller complete the form. The License to Purchase, along with the pistol, must be returned to the local law enforcement agency within 10 days to obtain a Safety Inspection Certificate (registration).

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    This one I have checked into myself many times. Your dad MUST give it to you as a GIFT. If you pay him for it, it will still be considered a "Straw Purchase", it doesn't matter if it is a relative or any individual. You cannot by purpose or design purchase a pistol for anyone, unless (as I was told, by an unidentified person by phone--ATF in Det.) you wait at least 30 days after the purchase date.
    So his dad "gives" it to him and what happens between them in regards to working out a "payment" schedule is their business. Or he waits 30 days and buys it outright from his dad. I think they can figure out what to do.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.