• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pistol purchase?

Seif5034

imported post

i'm 17 and want to start carrying for my 18th B-day. If it's possible to have my dad buy a handgun for my b-day how would we go about doing it? i'd preferably not buy from a private dealer because i don't know anyone who shoots handguns so it'd have to be purchased from a FFL-holding store

Michigander

imported post

Your dad buying you one, then transferring it to you would be called a straw purchase. You can own a handgun at 18, but you can't get it from a dealer until you're 21. 18-20= private transaction only. You still need the purchase permit, but no form 4473.

The loophole is that your dad can get you one as a gift, and mark it as such on the form 4473. I'd suggest a handgun for your 18th birthday. ;)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Michigander wrote:
Your dad buying you one, then transferring it to you would be called a straw purchase. You can own a handgun at 18, but you can't get it from a dealer until you're 21. 18-20= private transaction only. You still need the purchase permit, but no form 4473.

The loophole is that your dad can get you one as a gift, and mark it as such on the form 4473. I'd suggest a handgun for your 18th birthday. ;)
My understanding is that an 18 year old can buy a handgun from an individual, but not from a licensed dealer. So the dad could buy it from a dealer then sell of give it to his son. Or the son could buy one from a private person all by his lonesome.

WARCHILD

imported post

This one I have checked into myself many times. Your dad MUST give it to you as a GIFT. If you pay him for it, it will still be considered a "Straw Purchase", it doesn't matter if it is a relative or any individual. You cannot by purpose or design purchase a pistol for anyone, unless (as I was told, by an unidentified person by phone--ATF in Det.) you wait at least 30 days after the purchase date.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Seif5034 wrote:
i'm 17 and want to start carrying for my 18th B-day. If it's possible to have my dad buy a handgun for my b-day how would we go about doing it? i'd preferably not buy from a private dealer because i don't know anyone who shoots handguns so it'd have to be purchased from a FFL-holding store

Per MSP

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]5. In Michigan, what is a License to Purchase and is one needed in every case where a pistol is acquired?[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.422 A License to Purchase is a license required prior to acquisition of a pistol by purchase orgift. The important part of the License to Purchase is the affidavit signed by the purchaser swearing to their own qualifications. A License to Purchase is not needed for anyone with a valid Concealed Pistol License, for firearms dealers purchasing from wholesalers, or for relics, curios, antiques, etc., not made for modern ammunition.[/font]

(Emphasis in Bold)

ALSO;

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]6. What are the steps necessary to purchase and legally possess a pistol in Michigan without a concealed pistol license?[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 28.422&MCL 28.429The prospective purchaser must successfully pass (70% or more) a basic pistol safety questionnaire and obtain a License to Purchase, which is valid for 10 days, from the local law enforcement agency. The purchaser must sign a notarized sworn statement that they meet the Michigan qualifications to purchase/obtain a pistol. At the time of the purchase, the purchaser and the seller complete the form. The License to Purchase, along with the pistol, must be returned to the local law enforcement agency within 10 days to obtain a Safety Inspection Certificate (registration).[/font]

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
This one I have checked into myself many times. Your dad MUST give it to you as a GIFT. If you pay him for it, it will still be considered a "Straw Purchase", it doesn't matter if it is a relative or any individual. You cannot by purpose or design purchase a pistol for anyone, unless (as I was told, by an unidentified person by phone--ATF in Det.) you wait at least 30 days after the purchase date.
So his dad "gives" it to him and what happens between them in regards to working out a "payment" schedule is their business. Or he waits 30 days and buys it outright from his dad. I think they can figure out what to do.