• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gunman kills 2, is slain by Reno man

jfrey123

imported post

I stole the following from thefiringline.com. Here's a semi local story about one of our local brothers. Glad someone was there to stop him before it got even worse.

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...2Fbreakingnews

thank God we can carry in bars, stuff happens anywhere.

Gunman kills 2, is slain by Reno man
Three people are dead after a gunfight from a long-running family feud broke out in a crowded bar in Winnemucca early today, according to Winnemucca and Humboldt County authorities.
Winnemucca police said Ernesto Villagomez entered the Player’s Bar and Grill about 2:30 a.m. and began firing a pistol into the bar with a crowd of about 300 people, killing two brothers and wounding two people.

When Villagomez began reloading, a 48-year-old Reno man drew his pistol and killed Villagomez. The Reno man had a Washoe County concealed weapons permit and was detained but not charged.

Humboldt District Attorney Russell Smith said the slaying of Villagomez was justifiable, in self defense and in the defense of others. Police withheld the Reno man’s name.

Sgt. Eric Silva said Villagomez, 30 of Winnemucca, fired a number of shots but from a large-capacity semiautomatic pistol but couldn’tsay how many.

Police said Villagomez shot and killed Jose Torres, 20, and his brother Margarito Torres, 19, both of Winnemucca.

Villagomez’s two other victims — a 34-year-old male and 22-year-old woman — did not suffer life-threatening wounds and were listed as stable at Humboldt General Hospital.

Silva said the incident was the result of a long-running feud between two families in Winnemucca. But he declined to say more.

“We do not want that released for now,” he said.

Sunday’s shooting may have been in retaliation for an earlier drive-by shooting involving the families in the town, Winnemucca police Chief Bob Davidson told KRNV-TV in Reno. He said the incident was part of a “long-standing family feud.” Davidson said city police and the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office intend to hold a series of town meetings between the families feuding and “bring some closure to this and end the violence to our community.” Police, deputies and the Nevada Highway Patrol were taking steps to prevent reprisals.

Silva said he did not have further description of the guns. He said Winnemucca police seized both firearms and took them to the Washoe County Crime Laboratory. Winnemucca has about 8,000 people and is about 160 miles northeast of Reno. The three men were pronounced dead at the scene.

While the incident occurred during the annual Runnamucca motorcycle event, police said there is no evidence linking the shootings to any motorcycle gangs or clubs. “Our investigation is currently pursuing a lead that indicates that this event may have been as a result of a long-standing feud between several families,” a police news release said.

The bar at 1062 South Grass Valley Road was closed Sunday while the investigation continues.

Vegas_Dave

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
It is unfortunate that people got shot. But this article shows why it's good to have armed citizens out there.
Yes indeed it does. Can you imagine how many more people could have been killed/injured had this citizen not stepped in.

Jared

imported post

Vegas_Dave wrote:
Felid`Maximus wrote:
It is unfortunate that people got shot. But this article shows why it's good to have armed citizens out there.
Yes indeed it does. Can you imagine how many more people could have been killed/injured had this citizen not stepped in.
Fortunately, Nevada does not have OC/CCW ban in bars or establishments that serve alcohol. If this was in Arizona, New Mexico, the Carolinas, or Ohio, I'm afraid the situation may have been much worse.

bgbdbld

imported post

I Live here in Winnemucca and this sucks, we are set up to take our class on 1st week of july. it sucks when it happens in our small town.:cuss:

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Anyone else find it strange that in a bar crowded with 300 people, the shooter only hit 4 people despite unloading a "high capacity" pistol? Perhaps the 296 people were on the other side of the bar? Or the high capacity pistol wasn't fully loaded?

jfrey123 wrote:
Three people are dead after a gunfight from a long-running family feud broke out in a crowded bar in Winnemucca early today, according to Winnemucca and Humboldt County authorities.

Winnemucca police said Ernesto Villagomez entered the Player’s Bar and Grill about 2:30 a.m. and began firing a pistol into the bar with a crowd of about 300 people, killing two brothers and wounding two people.

When Villagomez began reloading, a 48-year-old Reno man drew his pistol and killed Villagomez. The Reno man had a Washoe County concealed weapons permit and was detained but not charged.

Humboldt District Attorney Russell Smith said the slaying of Villagomez was justifiable, in self defense and in the defense of others. Police withheld the Reno man’s name.

Sgt. Eric Silva said Villagomez, 30 of Winnemucca, fired a number of shots but from a large-capacity semiautomatic pistol but couldn’tsay how many.

<snip>

jfrey123

imported post

Well it says he fired 'a number of shots from a high capacity magazine'... Never says he emptied it. I think we should all be thankful that he didn't, and that only 4 people were hit before a Legally Armed Citizen stopped him.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not to disagree, but it did say he stopped to reload, suggesting he emptied it. And that was when the armed citizen was able to end the situation.

I agree that it's thankful he was not more accurate in his shots, I was more commenting on the media reference to a large capacity gun...like any handgun with more than 10 round capacity is an assault weapon in certain places, unless this guy came in sporting a huge magazine (which is hard to conceal obviously, and I imagine pretty hard to OC comfortably), what's the highest capacity he could have had? 17 rounds in a 9mm?

Glock makes their weapons plastic to evade airport metal detectors.
Hollow point rounds indicate premeditation to commit murder.
More than 10 rounds and you have an "assault" weapon.

jfrey123

imported post

Not to disagree,

By all means, when I'm wrong I'd rather you do disagree. I'd rather be corrected than run around with my keyboard spewing false information.

I forgot about that part where it said he stopped to reload, and was only focusing on the 'several shots' part. Good catch.

Worthy of note, I'm going to write into the RGJ today under the editorial section, and write an anonymous thank you for the anonymous CCW carrier.

wayneco

imported post

http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080526/NEWS18/80526010

Winnemucca police statement on bar shootings

MAY 26, 2008

Statement from the Winnemucca Police Department:

On Sunday May 25, 2008 at approximately 2:30 a.m. the Winnemucca Police Department was dispatched to the Players Bar and Grill located at 1062 South Grass Valley Road on the report of numerous shots fired and multiple gunshot victims. A combined law enforcement team consisting of Officers from the Winnemucca Police Department and Deputies from the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office responded to the dispatch call and secured the scene. There were approximately 300 patrons in and around the bar. No shots were fired by law enforcement during the incident.

The officers on scene discovered three adult males who had died from obvious gunshot wounds. Two additional gunshot victims were also located. One of these victims, a 34 year old male, was transported to Humboldt General Hospital via private vehicle. The other victim, a 22 year old female, was transported via Humboldt County Ambulance. Both of these injured parties were treated and admitted to Humboldt General Hospital in “stable condition”. Both victims have now been released from the hospital.

The initial investigation indicated that there had been two separate shooters during the incident. One of the alleged shooters, Ernesto Fuentes Villagomez, age 30 of Winnemucca, was among the three men who were dead on arrival. The other was a 48 year old Reno man who was initially taken into custody at the scene as a person of interest.

The subsequent investigation lead detectives to believe that Villagomez entered the bar and at some point began firing multiple rounds. At least two of these rounds struck and killed the other two decedents, Jose Torres age, 20 and his brother Margarito Torres, age 19 both of Winnemucca. At some point during this shooting spree Villagomez allegedly stopped and according to witnesses reloaded his high capacity handgun and began shooting again.

It was at this point that the second shooter, the Reno resident, produced a concealed handgun and proceeded to fire upon Villagomez who succumbed to his wounds. The Reno resident was in possession of a valid Concealed Carry Permit issued through the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office.

After further investigation as well as ongoing discussions with Humboldt County District Attorney Russell Smith, the decision was made that the shooting of Villagomez by the Reno man was a justifiable homicide as outlined in Nevada Revised Statute 200.120 and 200.160. Because of this the Reno man was released from police custody.

Although the shooting occurred during the Runnamucca event weekend there is no evidence linking the incident to any rival motorcycle gangs or clubs. Additionally, each of the decedents and victims were all Winnemucca residents. The investigation is currently pursuing a lead that indicates that this event may have been the result of a long standing feud between several families. There have been no further acts of violence reported in relation to this incident.

The Winnemucca Police Department utilized the services of the Washoe County Crime Lab to assist with the processing of the crime scene. Additional support in the investigation was provided by the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office, the Department of Public Safety – Investigation and Highway Patrol Divisions, and the Humboldt County District Attorney’s Office.

MetalChris

imported post

wayneco wrote:
After further investigation as well as ongoing discussions with Humboldt County District Attorney Russell Smith, the decision was made that the shooting of Villagomez by the Reno man was a justifiable homicide as outlined in Nevada Revised Statute 200.120 and 200.160. Because of this the Reno man was released from police custody.
/pukes

Why the hell was he brought in at all? It should've been clear as day just from crime scene interviews (or whatever the hell they're called) that the guy did nothing wrong.

wayneco

imported post

I don't believe he was brought in, rather, interviewed at the scene and released. The Winnemucca PD chief release sounded pretty pro- what he did.

I doubt many other chiefs in many other places, who want to have a monopoly on force/protection, would have been so generally positive. Of course they won't be there to help you, either, only write up a police report of your demise.