• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best buy turning around?

rysa

imported post

I was in the Tacoma best buy for about 30 minutest today with a G23 fully exposed on my hip. I was half expecting TPD to show up and best buy to kick me out, based on all the reports we've had about them. To my great surprise there was nothing said, and I was at the customer service area for at least 20 minutes so I know employees saw.

I know someone on the forums heregot them to admit they follow state law so i felt comfortable with that knowledge and OC'ing in there; does anyone know if they had a training memo or something?

Just wondering if this was an isolated (good) experience or if it was something i can expect from now on.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good for OCing I suppose, as a computer technician I will not set foot in a Best Buy and try to convince others to do so as well unless they're having a really good sale where they could stand to loose money provided you get in and out with your one item.

If you show the slightest hint of not knowing everything about the technology you're looking at, they become the slimiest bunch of salesmen on the planet and they will take advantage of you.

And please, please, please don't EVER use the geek squad. Give your locally owned electronics store a visit, they'll likely treat you better and appreciate your business more anyway.

Just some of Best Buy's schemes:
Best Buy's secret website to fool customers on online prices

Best buy's customer profiling (I'm a bargain hunting deamon)

joeroket

imported post

asforme wrote:
And please, please, please don't EVER use the geek squad. Give your locally owned electronics store a visit, they'll likely treat you better and appreciate your business more anyway.
Now that is some very good advice that everyone can use.

jbone

imported post

Like the Costco in my area, I see no signs posted at Best Buy banning Firearms, so I conceal and don't ask.

carhas0

imported post

jbone wrote:
Like the Costco in my area, I see no signs posted at Best Buy banning Firearms, so I conceal and don't ask.

That works as far as you being able to carry (and would even if there were signs), but the bottom line is there is a corporate policy banning guns so supporting Costco, whether they post signs or not, is supporting an anti-gun business.

[Edit: spelling]

jbone

imported post

sean-1286 wrote:
jbone wrote:

That works as far as you being able to carry (and would even if there were signs), but the bottom line is there is a corportate policy banning guns so supporting Costco, whether they post signs or not, is supporting an anti-gun business.

So if the corporate office's have thesepolicies why would they feel it's not important enough to post on the web sites or store entrances?

carhas0

imported post

jbone wrote:
sean-1286 wrote:
jbone wrote:

That works as far as you being able to carry (and would even if there were signs), but the bottom line is there is a corportate policy banning guns so supporting Costco, whether they post signs or not, is supporting an anti-gun business.

So if the corporate office's have thesepolicies why would they feel it's not important enough to post on the web sites or store entrances?
You could ask them, but I don't know the answer. I'm not criticizing you; what you choose to do is your choice. However, supporting an anti-gun business because you can get away with carrying does nothing to help our cause.

jbone

imported post

sean-1286 wrote:
jbone wrote:
sean-1286 wrote:
jbone wrote:

You could ask them, but I don't know the answer. I'm not criticizing you; what you choose to do is your choice. However, supporting an anti-gun business because you can get away with carrying does nothing to help our cause.
I see your point on anti-gun business.Not sure want me recourse will be, the wife loves shooping at both stores.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

asforme wrote:
If you show the slightest hint of not knowing everything about the technology you're looking at, they become the slimiest bunch of salesmen on the planet and they will take advantage of you

And please, please, please don't EVER use the geek squad.  Give your locally owned electronics store a visit, they'll likely treat you better and appreciate your business more anyway.

Funny,I've seen mom n pop type stores rip people off too. 4D computers? Anyway, it's a service that people need, the PEOPLE set the prices, if it was too high, the prices would be lowered. We're obviously selling services at our prices, so apparently it's right.

That wasn't intentional, it was because different markets have different specials/ads. POLICY is to match EVERYTHING online, so it was some retard that was INTENTIONALLY violating policy that caused the issue.

They don't have 'profiling' per se, they're called 'market segments', IOTW, different type of customers who have different needs.

I work for the big blue box part time, and while I can't say that EVERY store is like mine, our store CONSISTENTLY gets 85%+ in customer satisfaction surveys, which is damn hard to do, yet we constantly do so.

corporate policy IS to match state law. It took me about 2 months of wading through corporate/HR BS to figure that out, only for my GM to 'suggest' that I not carry when I'm off the clock because it might make people uncomfortable.

jbone

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
I've been in the Tacoma store a number of times without any problem. I don't understand the part about concealing when you go there.
I'm just receiving from all the horror stories it's easier to Conceal & Carry with my CCW permit, than to go through all the hassles of open carry andbeingstopped and harassed everywhere I go. I 'mwith the family the majority of the time and they aremy main concern,keeping them out of harms way. Whether it the idiot store manager, or an uneducated Law enforcement officer making a scene to satisfy his/her ego, or ideals. The wife ands don’t need to be subjected to this.

Father is retired LEO, He’s the one who got me back into carrying, and warned me of the sh*t bag cops he’s known and still patrol their turfs that can make your day or weekend hell. I’m a firm believer in my rights and open carry, I still serve in the Navy after 23 year for you and my family, but I cannot afford the big fight, nor afford to spend time in the jails because I ran into that one Sh*t bags public servants who thinks he rules. The more than vast majority of Law Enforcement are dedicated professionals like we all are. But the few!!

The folks with the money/time/power to fight this up to the State Capital and in the Courts should be stepping up and making it happen. I never see the Boob Tube with these stories in the news? Only the discussion on the forums.

I know what many will think of this ideal, that it’s not helping the cause, or it’s a copout. Butfamily safety comes first; after all they are the reason I Carry.

Ajetpilot

imported post

jbone, carrying either open or concealed is a personaldecision that only you can make. I respect your decision. I can honestly say, that if I were still active duty, I probably would not open carry, because of the adverse affect that an arrest would have on promotion opportunities regardless of the disposition of the case. Now that I'm retired, I carry all day everyday, and I very seldom conceal. I can afford the time and financial expense of a court proceeding. Once you join me in retirement, you may also join me in open carry. Until then, thank you for your service to this country!

Mainsail

imported post

jbone wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
I've been in the Tacoma store a number of times without any problem. I don't understand the part about concealing when you go there.
I'm just receiving from all the horror stories...

...but I cannot afford the big fight, nor afford to spend time in the jails because I ran into that one Sh*t bags public servants who thinks he rules...

The folks with the money/time/power to fight this up to the State Capital and in the Courts should be stepping up and making it happen. .

I know what many will think of this ideal, that it’s not helping the cause, or it’s a copout. Butfamily safety comes first; after all they are the reason I Carry.
I understand your situation and will not criticize you. I will, however, point out a couple key arguments. First, if you’re with your family, you are much less likely to be hassled by a rogue police officer. I’m suddenly unsure about Pierce County Sheriffs Deputies due to some recent encounters, but Tacoma PD is well aware of the legality of OC. Since they would be the ones responding to BB in Tacoma, I’m confident you are OK in there as well as anywhere in the city.

You should also understand that it is VERY unlikely that a police officer would arrest you for OC. Unless you do something illegal the officer wouldn’t have probable cause to actually make an arrest. Some might try to intimidate you and frighten you, but an arrest would be unbelievably unlikely barring any other action on your part (carrying drunk or punching the officer in the snout). I have never heard of anyone here in the forum being arrested and taken to jail.

Additionally, it’s good to remember that the horror stories are not representative of the majority of OC experiences. I OC every day everywhere I go (other than work) and don’t start a new topic in the forums every time I have an uneventful day. Most of the rest of the people in here would probably say the same thing.

There’s nothing to fight at the State Capitol because OC is legal and we don’t need (or want) any law to be written that makes it more legal. The police know, for the most part, that OC is legal and they are trained from day one the requirements of a legal Terry stop. Yes, a few purposefully forget the dirty inconvenience of civil rights where firearms are involved, but we’re winning far more than losing during encounters. If you know what your rights are, and I mean factually know and understand your privacy rights, as well as what a police officer is allowed and not allowed to do during a stop, you will have the confidence to carry without being nervous. This knowledge is very liberating and important whether you are carrying openly or concealed.

All that said you have to do what you feel comfortable doing. There’s no requirement that you OC to participate in the forum, in fact you don’t even have to own or carry a firearm. Regardless of an individual’s carry preference, the common denominator among all of us here is that we believe in and support OC. That’s the important part.

jbone

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
jbone, carrying either open or concealed is a personaldecision that only you can make. I respect your decision. I can honestly say, that if I were still active duty, I probably would not open carry, because of the adverse affect that an arrest would have on promotion opportunities regardless of the disposition of the case. Now that I'm retired, I carry all day everyday, and I very seldom conceal. I can afford the time and financial expense of a court proceeding. Once you join me in retirement, you may also join me in open carry. Until then, thank you for your service to this country!
Thanks for your understanding; as you, I also respect the choice of any other fellow citizen.It’s why you and I severed. And thanks for your service as well.

I wish I was in a position to fight the fight. I'm sure thatwhen I retire from the Navy ranks I will join the open carry ranks. I think you touched on a concern I failed to mention, and that is the military looses their mind with any hint of negative law enforcement interaction, regardless of the circumstances, I've seen it many times. Best of luck to you and thanks again.

jbone

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
jbone wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
I'm just receiving from all the horror stories...

...but I cannot afford the big fight, nor afford to spend time in the jails because I ran into that one Sh*t bags public servants who thinks he rules...

The folks with the money/time/power to fight this up to the State Capital and in the Courts should be stepping up and making it happen. .

I understand your situation and will not criticize you. I will, however, point out a couple key arguments. First, if you’re with your family, you are much less likely to be hassled by a rogue police officer. I’m suddenly unsure about Pierce County Sheriffs Deputies due to some recent encounters, but Tacoma PD is well aware of the legality of OC. Since they would be the ones responding to BB in Tacoma, I’m confident you are OK in there as well as anywhere in the city.

You should also understand that it is VERY unlikely that a police officer would arrest you for OC. Unless you do something illegal the officer wouldn’t have probable cause to actually make an arrest. Some might try to intimidate you and frighten you, but an arrest would be unbelievably unlikely barring any other action on your part (carrying drunk or punching the officer in the snout). I have never heard of anyone here in the forum being arrested and taken to jail.

Additionally, it’s good to remember that the horror stories are not representative of the majority of OC experiences. I OC every day everywhere I go (other than work) and don’t start a new topic in the forums every time I have an uneventful day. Most of the rest of the people in here would probably say the same thing.

There’s nothing to fight at the State Capitol because OC is legal and we don’t need (or want) any law to be written that makes it more legal. The police know, for the most part, that OC is legal and they are trained from day one the requirements of a legal Terry stop. Yes, a few purposefully forget the dirty inconvenience of civil rights where firearms are involved, but we’re winning far more than losing during encounters. If you know what your rights are, and I mean factually know and understand your privacy rights, as well as what a police officer is allowed and not allowed to do during a stop, you will have the confidence to carry without being nervous. This knowledge is very liberating and important whether you are carrying openly or concealed.

All that said you have to do what you feel comfortable doing. There’s no requirement that you OC to participate in the forum, in fact you don’t even have to own or carry a firearm. Regardless of an individual’s carry preference, the common denominator among all of us here is that we believe in and support OC. That’s the important part.

Very informative and sensible counter on your part. I also feel as you that the vast majority of LEO are professional and respect our legal right’s, its the few that worry me and keep from taking the plunge. I just started carrying again a few months back. I’ve been around, trained with, carried and fired a large selection of weapons in my life and military career, just a little green in the public arena. I truly believe it’s folks like you and ajetpilots comments that will help me to take the next step into open carry. The forum is great and will serve my well in gaining open carry confidence and knowledge.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

jbone wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
I'm just receiving from all the horror stories it's easier to Conceal & Carry with my CCW permit, than to go through all the hassles of open carry andbeingstopped and harassed everywhere I go. I 'mwith the family the majority of the time and they aremy main concern,keeping them out of harms way. Whether it the idiot store manager, or an uneducated Law enforcement officer making a scene to satisfy his/her ego, or ideals. The wife ands don’t need to be subjected to this.

Father is retired LEO, He’s the one who got me back into carrying, and warned me of the sh*t bag cops he’s known and still patrol their turfs that can make your day or weekend hell. I’m a firm believer in my rights and open carry, I still serve in the Navy after 23 year for you and my family, but I cannot afford the big fight, nor afford to spend time in the jails because I ran into that one Sh*t bags public servants who thinks he rules. The more than vast majority of Law Enforcement are dedicated professionals like we all are. But the few!!

The folks with the money/time/power to fight this up to the State Capital and in the Courts should be stepping up and making it happen. I never see the Boob Tube with these stories in the news? Only the discussion on the forums.

A handful of people who don't understand their law or their own corperate policy should not be a hinderance to you.

Of all the times I have OC'd I have been detained exactly twice, and never been asked to leave a store.

jbone

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
jbone wrote:
Mainsail wrote:

A handful of people who don't understand their law or their own corperate policy should not be a hinderance to you.

Of all the times I have OC'd I have been detained exactly twice, and never been asked to leave a store.
Worked up the nerve and did it Sunday, OC. Felt wierd, but will do it again soon.:cool:

Bear 45/70

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Adverse effect???????? How can you be arrested for doing something that's legal? If you have your commander's permission to do then do it. How to get permission,just ask, the worse he can do is say no. Way back when I was still on active duty, I got into racing in a big way, but I had a letter of permission from my commander so no matter what happened , I was covered.