• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms in vehilces - Best practices?

concerned_citizen

imported post

I have no CC permit. I travel with my firearm all the time and keep it hidden and loaded with one in the chamber in my center console. Good idea?

I've heard on several occasions that the best place to keep your firearm (especially when traveling between states) is on the seat next to in plain view. That true?

What should I do when I encounter Police officers as in a traffic stops? Am I not required by law to notify them immediatley that I have a firearm in my car? What else?

Any Law Enforcement Officers reading this post? How would you like a routine traffic stop to go involving Joe Public and a loaded firearm?

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

In your car, carry it however you want, hell you could hang it from your rearview mirror if you wanted to. The only thing I suggest is keeping a copy of your purchase receipt for the gun i the car. That way if some stupid NOPD cop tries to confiscate it becaue you can't prove it's your's, you CAN prove it's your's. (btw, if any cop actually tries this, ask him to call his supervisor and get him over there.)

concerned_citizen

imported post

you bring up an excellent point... Why the heck do I need to carry around 'proof of purchase' for my firearm just in case a LEO tries to confiscate it????? What law states anything of that nature?
Does that sound ridiculous to anyone else???
Can't they just run the serial number and if it's not reported as stolen, let me go on my way??? I'm so confused at this.
I want to OC but now I'm afraid too because i haven't found my receipt as of yet. Any advice?

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

I agree, it is rediculous, but if you don't want an NOPD cop commiting armed robbery and taking your gun, it's not too much of a hassle. Now, if the gun was a gift, or you bought it FTF from a private seller and you don't have a reciept, then I would just put it in a place where the cop won't see it, and he'll never know it's there.

If I get pulled over, I have no obligation to tell the cop that there's a gun in the car, unless I have a CWP (because you are required by law, if you have a CWP, to tell the officer). The only reason I'm going to tell them is if I have to reveal the gun in order to get to my registration/insurance. But usually, by the time I'm pulled over, it's already out of the glovebox. Besides, I usually keep the gun under the seat anyway.

If/when the supervisor arrives, he/she should have the knowledge to deal with this situation. If not, call a lawyer. Start some shit, and maybe we'll have some justice against these thieves they call cops around here. (No offense to you good cops.)

concerned_citizen

imported post

Great info, WhiteRabbit22. Is there a law or something on the books that supports "no obligation to tell the cop that there's a gun in the car." I may have missed in my preliminary research. I'd really like to include that in the PDF of another thread I'm in (you've seen it): http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=11390&forum_id=26

I don't know that I want to start anything, but I surely want to exercise my rights and know how to (verbally) defend myself from any injustice.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Please note: IANAL, so don't qoute me on this.

In the state of LA, as I'm sure you know, your car is considered an extension of your personal property. If a cop knocks on your door, do you tell him that you have a gun inside the house? A lot of people try to get on the officer's "good side" by telling them that "for their safety." If you think your a threat to the officer, maybe you should tell him. I'm sure the officer would much rather see your hands on the steering wheel when he approaches the window.

Also, by admitting that you have a gun in the car, the officer may ask you if he can remove it "for his/her safety." If you consent, you just consented to a search. I'm sure you don't want that.

The only exception to this is if you have a CHP and are armed when you get pulled over. It is law that you must inform the officer, submit to a pat down, and be temporarily disarmed for the duration of the stop. I believe this applies even if the firearm is in the glove box. However, the officer *should* already know you have a CHP when he runs your plates (if they are in your name)before stepping out of his squad.

It's all abotu knowing your rights when you are approached or pulled over by the police. You can keep out of a lot of trouble.

Carondalet

imported post

Even with a CHP, you do not have to tell LEO about glovebox firearm. Only if physically carrying and concealing it when pulled over. As your pulling over, toss piece under seat and you are not obligated to disclose.

Brings up interesting question, though. What about a holstered firearm being open carried in the car? Even though LEO can't see your 4 o'clock holster, it is not concealed.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

I believe you would still have to disclose it to the officer, because it is on your person. I would if i had a CHP, however, I don't, so... i wouldn't, I'd just toss it under the seat before being pulled over.

Tedpride

imported post

I was stoped at the State Line between Mississippi and Louisiana by a La. road block checking pappers on Gun's, ATV's and Lic. and Reg. for Cars. If you didn't have them they were conficated until you produced them. Don't know if it was legal but they did it. My good luck was that one of the Troupers was my neighbor

charlie12

imported post

Tedpride wrote:
I was stoped at the State Line between Mississippi and Louisiana by a La. road block checking pappers on Gun's, ATV's and Lic. and Reg. for Cars. If you didn't have them they were conficated until you produced them. Don't know if it was legal but they did it. My good luck was that one of the Troupers was my neighbor
? never heard of such thing.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Tedpride wrote:

You do realize that it's your right not to go through the roadblock and find another way right? You don't have to stop for them.

And considering that niether MS or La have gun registration, you aren't required to have ANY paperwork on ANY firearm you own, so that entire situation is bullshit.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
Tedpride wrote:
? never heard of such thing.

When was this?

I have to admit, this is a bit hard to believe. If this is true, however, you need to pm or email more info, because that is not OK, and we need to take action on this.