• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sent a note to Saslaw...

caltain

imported post

As he is my state Senator, I sent a note to Mr. Saslaw regarding his statements in the press. They got me a bit riled, so I fired off the following email. Thoughts? Comments?

CITIZEN CONCERNS ABOUT SAFETY

Dear Senator Saslaw,

First, let me thank you for working on my behalf as my Virginia State Senator. You are obviously an intelligent and accomplished person. I appreciate the wisdom that you express in the conduct of your Senatorial duties.

Of late, it has come to my attention, however, that you have publically made certain statements that I find distressing in persons elected to represent me in public office. Your recent statements regarding gun owners/carriers have forced me to conclude that, regarding this issue, you are either seriously misinformed, terribly naïve or intentionally promoting a position that you know threatens the safety and security of the citizens that you represent. People who legally carry firearms do so because they recognize that there is no other provision for their safety from violent crime beyond the statistical. They are rejecting the natural protection of the herd animal as insufficient. The herd is numerous and the lions are few, therefore the losses do not matter. The herd will survive.

What works in nature does not necessarily work in human civilization. Humankind has long considered the animal lesser than the man. While the herd may accept losses that feed the lion, men must not. In your opinion, how many lives can be acceptably lost to crime, knowing that the herd will survive? I say that number is zero. Unfortunately, that is not an achievable goal in modern society. All we can do is responsibly act to move toward that goal.

The issue boils down to one of safety. Most people feel safe most of the time, but does that equate to actual safety? How many victims of violent crime do you suppose felt safe immediately before the crime occurred? The intelligent man will respond that it must be most, if not all, of the victims. Were it otherwise, they would wisely have taken steps to extract themselves from the unsafe situation prior to their attack. You may contend that we have law enforcement agencies to protect us, but this is a fallacy. Time after time, across the nation and at all levels of the justice system, the courts have held that law enforcement agencies are not responsible for protecting citizens. They exist to investigate crime, arrest the suspects and aid in the prosecution of those criminals. The burden of protecting a citizen falls squarely upon that citizen.

I assume that you find it perfectly reasonable that law enforcement officers carry weapons. It makes sense. At any moment of any day, they may interact in an adversarial relationship with criminals. In fact, that makes such good sense that we require officers to arm themselves at all times, on or off duty. Why then do you actively foment animosity toward potential crime victims who adopt the same safeguards in their daily lives? Do you consider the lives of law enforcement personnel to be more valuable than the life of any given citizen? Certainly, you must not. Rather, you must believe all people to be equal, as you swore in your oath of office to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the Codes of the Commonwealth. Both documents provide for the owning and legal carrying of firearms by citizens as a means of protection. Are you now foresworn in your oath?

Perhaps you believe that citizens carrying firearms create a threat to the safety of the innocent or unarmed. To date in Virginia, there have been no reports of violent crimes in which a citizen who legally carries a firearm was the perpetrator. In fact, I am not aware of any such reports in any state where it is legal for a citizen to carry a firearm. According to Lott’s book More Guns, Less Crime, his study concluded that citizens with a permit to carry the weapon concealed are even less likely to commit a crime.

In conclusion, I respectfully request that you publicly retract your statements regarding gun owners and gun carriers. I leave it to your conscience to resolve the matter of an apology. Your position, thus far, regarding these matters has been unsupportable, irresponsible and rude. Please, show your support for the safety and security of your constituents. After all, each one lost is a vote lost.

Sincerely,

Dan Brooks

Herndon, VA

Neplusultra

imported post

A+, need I say more? He's not my rep but I would have loved to have been in the elevator with him with my voice recorder running....... :^).

Let us know if you get a response...

caltain

imported post

I know, I can't wait to be further disappointed by my elected officials either. I hope it sends his morning cup of java out his nose. There is no feeling in the world like finding a man at the bottom of a hole, still digging furiosly. Except maybe tossing him down a bigger shovel...:headbang:

I'll surely post the inevitable reply the moment I'm done reading it.

Where is Pearisberg, anyway? I could google it, but it's more fun to see how far out you have to go to get to somewhere I've heard of...

Dan

hsmith

imported post

ed wrote:
he has never responded to me from my three writings to him.

Ed
He probably assumes you don't have the internet or a post office running out to you shack in the hills! Do you even get electricity out there?!!!!

;)

Neplusultra

imported post

caltain wrote:
Where is Pearisberg, anyway? I could google it, but it's more fun to see how far out you have to go to get to somewhere I've heard of...

Dan
Pearisburg is on Rt. 460 about 35 miles west of Blacksburg where VA Tech is. A hop and a skip from WV.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

caltain wrote:
Too much? But, I thought flattery would get me everywhere!

You can flatter a garden slug but don't expect a kiss!:shock:

Bullbuster

imported post

IMO I would have added that "I voted for you because I felt you represented my feeling and interests best. Nowthat has changed and so will my vote to a candidate that will represent me and my interests and not just your own."

caltain

imported post

I don't think that we ever really know what is in a politician's heart. The process of getting elected and of enacting legislation is a series of compromises, both literal and moral. I find that they tend to strike a balance somewhere between taking a hard line in the press, and doing nothing on the floor. They rightly know that to vote is to fall off the fence. Now they are on one side of the fence, pissing off the people on the other side, with every decision carrying animosity to the next, balancing the power of the past, with the promise of the future.

Mostly, statements to the press are aimed at the vocal minority. By vocal minority, I don't mean minority of opinion, but rather the few that will always make their opinions loudly known. I didn't add the part about voting for him, because I didn't. Still, the guy that gets elected has to represent us all, and act in the best interest of everone he represents. I didn't vote him in, but I'm sure going to help to vote him out!

Dan