• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where should we Adopt-A-Highway?

Vote for the county in which you would like us to adopt in.

• Box Elder

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weber

• Davis

• Salt Lake

• Utah

• Juab

• Millard

• Beaver

• Iron

• Washington

• Total voters

GeneticsDave

imported post

Recently we have been organizing meet-ups at local restaurants in an effort to get to know one another in person and bring some public attention to our cause. At the last get-together, one of our members suggested that we give something back to the community instead of just sitting down to a meal for every meet. The comment was met with positive response and the majority of people seemed to think that we should become involved in the Adopt-A-Highway program.

Please vote on which county you would like us to adopt a highway in. This should help us determine which area would have consistent high turn out for service projects. I have only listed counties along the I-15 route. If you would like Cache county, please vote for Box Elder as they straddle I-15 and I could only list 10 options.

Outsider

imported post

Like I said in UCC, I voted for Utah County because that is where I live, but willing to travel to Salt Lake County as long as it isn't NORTH NORTH SL County.

colormered

imported post

After voting Box Elder (Cache), I got to thinking, I would go as far south as northern Weber county. But as I see it. with the wide geographic distribution of individuals on this forum, the answer would be to pick multiple stretches, perhaps one in Weber county, one in south Salt Lake or Utah counties. But even with that, there remains the question of how many people would participate and where they live. To select an area that has at least 10 people within say 30-50 miles, or possibly closer with gas going ever higher would be the logical approach.

Outsider

imported post

I heard on the news today that Utah is going to try to clean up the highways more, but didn't get to stick around to see that story. I'll see if I can't find it on their website and post it.

GeneticsDave

imported post

Well, Salt Lake County is by far the favorite over on UCC, but it seems that Utah county is the favorite here. The problem is, we only have 11 votes here - hardly representative of the Utah users.

PLEASE VOTE!!!

When we reach 25 votes I will count that as sufficient. :D

Outsider

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
Come on... Utah members! We gotta reach 25! There have to be more than 14 Utah users on OCDO!
Now 15! :monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey

xmirage2kx

imported post

But only 16/65 have more than 50 posts... and 26 have less than 5 posts. so 18 might be all we get as many of the 65 are not very active.

colormered

imported post

Before committing to Adopt-a-highway, with these numbers it might be a good idea to just decide on a public park either in southern Salt Lake or northern Utah county, since more than 70 percent of those responding are from one of those two counties, and see what the turnout is like to clean up litter around the park. If there is consistently more than 10 or 12 showing up, then consider adopting a highway, or, just keep choosing different parks like switching restaurants for dinner meets...... You could still notify the media for a photo op, and develop some good PR publicity at the same time..... Especially if nearly everyone showed up wearing OCDO T-shirts......

A little surprising nobody has polled UCC for interest in participating......

Being from Cache valley, a hundred miles each way would be kinda far for me to participate, especially with gas at $4, $7, $21 a gallon.......

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

colormered wrote:
Before committing to Adopt-a-highway, with these numbers it might be a good idea to just decide on a public park either in southern Salt Lake or northern Utah county, since more than 70 percent of those responding are from one of those two counties, and see what the turnout is like to clean up litter around the park. If there is consistently more than 10 or 12 showing up, then consider adopting a highway, or, just keep choosing different parks like switching restaurants for dinner meets...... You could still notify the media for a photo op, and develop some good PR publicity at the same time..... Especially if nearly everyone showed up wearing OCDO T-shirts......

A little surprising nobody has polled UCC for interest in participating......

Being from Cache valley, a hundred miles each way would be kinda far for me to participate, especially with gas at $4, $7, $21 a gallon.......
Actually the thread is here http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2401

GeneticsDave

imported post

Yeah, I ran a poll on both forums. We have WAY more people on UCC responding and SL County is bar far the most popular. I would just like the OCDO poll to be significant.

GeneticsDave

imported post

They got back to me, but didn't have any openings on I-15 in SL County. There were a few out of the way places, but I haven't gotten the feedback that people wanted to do that, so the idea has fallen stagnant for the moment.