• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting OC events

shamalama

imported post

I was in McDonald's this morning to get a Coke on my way to work. As I approached the Drink Machine I ran into an old buddy that I haven't seen in awhile. So the two of us strike up a conversation about life and families.

We are obviously chatting up a storm when this other guy walks up, gets between us, taps me on the shoulder, and questions, "Do you know you have your hammer all the way down?"

I was open carrying my 1911 in a SERPA on my strong hip at 3:00. It was in Condition One, cocked and locked. I think the Sheep meant to say "...your hammer is all the way back..."

At the time this unknown caught me completely unaware and off-guard, and my mind had to shift from a private conversation to a conversation on handguns and their carry. I was only able to reply, "Yes I do."

The guy gave me one of those, "you idiot" kinds of look and trundled off out of the store, and I returned to my conversation with my buddy.

In hindsight I should have said something like, "Yes, I am aware that I am carrying a Colt 1911 clone in Condition One readiness, exactly the way John Browning designed this weapon to be carried, and exactly the way it should be carried. This handgun is still protected by mechanical thumb and grip safeties. This handgun is protected by a locking holster and the trigger is completely covered. This handgun is also protected by the most important safety - my mind and my training with this gun. Would you like to go to the range with me to further see how these safeties work better than those used by many Law Enforcement Agencies?"

I probably should have rested my hand on the grip the minute this unknown touched my shoulder - that would have made his day.

Then on my way home from work today the Gentle Bride™ called me on the cell phone. When I answered she told me that (1) she had a terribly long week and didn't want to cook, (2) it was raining so we couldn't go out for supper, and (3) -my- daughter was hungry. I told her that (1) I had a terribly long week and didn't want to cook too, (2) it was raining on me too, and (3) gee, it must suck to be -her- daughter. But you know who won the battle, so let me start again:

On my way home from work today I graciously decided to stop by Mrs. Winner's to get some food for my Gentle Bride™ and our lovely daughter. I was carrying OC at the time.

While waiting for my order to be completed I was approached by an older man accompanied by his wife. Now, mind you, I already had an odd experience earlier this morning. He said, "Are you from around here?" I replied, "Yes, born and raised." I was fully prepared for him to grill me about all the Dangers Of Blood In The Street™ caused by my foolish and reckless public. But his reason for asking, I discovered, is that "down here" it was rare, and refreshing, so see someone carrying a 1911 instead of a Glock.

So he, a retired Probation Officer, and I chatted up a storm. His wife ended up ordering (and paying for) their food because he and I were discussing the merits of Condition One and the reverence for John Browning. He told me of a friend that carried a non-functional 1911 as a backup because of the psychological effect to goblins of racking the side in the dark.

Hey, I at least admitted I like (just don't prefer) Glocks, something he would not do.

We ended up wishing each other a good weekend. Wow, I wish more encounters were this way.

exgabrit

imported post

now thats a good story !!
its amazing how the sheep only half know how things work. 1911 is an amazing sidearm, so natural has far as grip, safety design way ahead of its time. Now I'm going to let the team down, I carry a Glock 17 in a blackhawk serpa (yes I want a 1911 too). I got a Glock because I wanted it good-to-go right off the bat. At the time, I didn't know all the safety features of a 1911, unlike now. i built a kit 1911 as a teen, but alas didn't understand why part of the grip moved.

do you get much eye stairing or hassling by folks when you OC ?

officerjdc

imported post

I haven't tried OC very much. My area (Liberty County/Hinesville/Fort Stewart area) isn't the most gun friendly in southeast Georgia, especially Hinesville. I live out in the eastern part of the county where things aren't quite so bad, so I have occasionally open carried within the trailer park where I live. My neighbors all know I work armed security on Fort Stewart, so they are not alarmed by seeing me with a weapon showing on my hip. Last week I did open carry when I drove one of my neighbors to the corner store so he could buy a pack of cigarettes, but I didn't get out of my truck.

My problem is that my employer wouldn't stand behind me if I was arrested even if the arrest was later proven to be improper. I would be terminated as soon as my employer found out I had been arrested, and I wouldn't get my job back even after I was cleared of any wrongdoing.

I've only seen one person who was obviously not a LEO open carrying here. This was a man who was pushing ashopping cart around the grocery sectionof the Hinesville Wal-Mart with a nickel finished1911 of some type on his hip. No one seemed to be alarmed by his weapon being in plain view on his hip.

Has anyone here ever open carried in Hinesville or Liberty County? If so did you have any problems with anyone? Any friendly comments or discussions of weapons with people who approached you? Was law enforcement called because of you OCing?

Samuel Adams

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
Has anyone here ever open carried in Hinesville or Liberty County? If so did you have any problems with anyone? Any friendly comments or discussions of weapons with people who approached you? Was law enforcement called because of you OCing?
I do occasionally. So far no problems.