Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John McCain for President?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

(after this, I guess we can talk about religion and then if brunettes are better than redheads.. I did not say"blondes" cuz most blondes ARE brunettes) :P

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/...e1c07d2fbd.htm

Protecting Second Amendment Rights

John McCain believes that the right of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is a fundamental, individual Constitutional right that we have a sacred duty to protect. We have a responsibility to ensure that criminals who violate the law are prosecuted to the fullest, rather than restricting the rights of law abiding citizens. Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals - criminals who ignore gun control laws anyway.

Gun Manufacturer Liability

John McCain opposes backdoor attempts to restrict Second Amendment rights by holding gun manufacturers liable for crimes committed by third parties using a firearm, and has voted to protect gun manufacturers from such inappropriate liability aimed at bankrupting the entire gun industry.

Assault Weapons

John McCain opposes restrictions on so-called "assault rifles" and voted consistently against such bans. Most recently he opposed an amendment to extend a ban on 19 specific firearms, and others with similar characteristics.

Importation of High Capacity Magazines

John McCain opposes bans on the importation of certain types of ammunition magazines and has voted against such limitations.

Gun Locks

John McCain believes that every firearms owner has a responsibility to learn how to safely use and store the firearm they have chosen, whether for target shooting, hunting, or personal protection. He has supported legislation requiring gun manufacturers to include gun safety devices such as trigger locks in product packaging.

Banning Ammunition

John McCain believes that banning ammunition is just another way to undermine Second Amendment rights. He voted against an amendment that would have banned many of the most commonly used hunting cartridges on the spurious grounds that they were "armor-piercing."

DC Personal Protection

As part of John McCain's defense of Second Amendment rights, he cosponsored legislation to lift a ban on the law abiding citizens of the District of Columbia from exercising their Constitutional right to bear arms.

Criminal Background Checks

John McCain supports instant criminal background checks to help prohibit criminals from buying firearms and has voted to ensure they are conducted thoroughly, efficiently, and without infringing on the rights of law abiding citizens.

Background Checks at Gun Shows

At a time when some were trying to shut down gun shows in the name of fighting crime, John McCain tried to preserve gun shows by standardizing sales procedures. Federal law requires licensed firearm sellers at gun shows to do an instant criminal background check on purchasers while private firearm sellers at gun shows do not have to conduct such a check. John McCain introduced legislation that would require an instant criminal background check for all sales at gun shows and believes that such checks must be conducted quickly to ensure that unnecessary delays do not effectively block transactions.

The Firearm Purchase Waiting Period

John McCain has opposed "waiting periods" for law abiding citizen's purchase of firearms.

The Confiscation of Firearms After an Emergency

John McCain opposes the confiscation of firearms from private citizens, particularly during times of crisis or emergency. He voted in favor of an amendment sponsored by Senator David Vitter prohibiting such confiscation.

Stiffer Penalties for Criminals Who Use a Firearm in the Commission of a Crime

John McCain believes in strict, mandatory penalties for criminals who use a firearm in the commission of a crime or illegally possess a firearm. Enforcing the current laws on the books is the best way to deter crime.

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

John McCain is not a friend of gun owners. But he is not an enemy of gun owners like Hillary or Barack.

McCain wants all sales, including private sales, to have a background check simply because they're at a gun show. Not only is this an infringement on individual property rights and commerce, it is also the first step to requiring ALL private sales, whether at a show or not, to go through an FFL for a background check.

He also wants gun locks sold with all guns. WhileI don't think it is a bad idea, it should not be REQUIRED by law. It should be up to the individual gun owner to store his firearms as he sees fit. Should a person be prosecuted for leaving his car doors unlocked, and later someone who stole his car kills someone with it? Do we need a law requiring steering wheel locks and ignition cut-off switches supplied with every car sold? Heck no!

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    John McCain is not a friend of gun owners.
    Agreed. When given the choice of three evil's, choose the evil you know.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

I'll end up holding my nose and voting for McCain. I disagree with him on most issues, including Foreign Policy. He claims to be a small government conservative while attempting to turn the damned thing into a Whale. But I would still rather go with the candidate who will allow me to keep my arms, for now, than one who would like to nab them from me. We'll need them when it's time to man the harpoons.

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    Holding your nose and voting for anyone not qualified is absurd.
    It's the old "lesser of two evils" argument and it's still a bad idea.
    Vote your conscience, let the chips fall where they may.
    ALWAYS do what is right, not popular or convenient.
    Well, I agree entirely. But who am I going to vote for? Bob Barr? It's not what's popular or convenient, it's what's neccesary. Any vote for a third party candidate in the US is a vote thrown away. I don't like it, I don't know anyone who does, but that's the way it is. I would consider a vote for McCain a vote against Obama.

I still think Obama will win in the end, though. We'll weather four years and he'll lose to a challenger, who'll hopefully be a real candidate. If, at any time, however, someone tries to confiscate my guns, there'll be a bloodbath.

Post imported post

You mean vote for Ron Paul? lol.. I try to do what I think is right. If I did only what was popular and convenient I would not Open Carry.. It certainly is not very popular.. and it is not convenient either as I carry a recorder when I OC and I make sure I don;t have to go to the Post Office (or MD or DC for that matter) or am going to a place that is not posted, etc etc etc
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    You mean vote for Ron Paul? lol.. I try to do what I think is right. If I did only what was popular and convenient I would not Open Carry.. It certainly is not very popular.. and it is not convenient either as I carry a recorder when I OC and I make sure I don;t have to go to the Post Office (or MD or DC for that matter) or am going to a place that is not posted, etc etc etc
    Funnily enough, I voted for Ron Paul in the primary. I'm talking General Election. That's where you really get screwed.

Post imported post

I'm voting Ron Paul.

Post imported post

I've watched for decades how the masses become mesmerized by the trance of the mainstream media and flock to the polls to select evil # 1 or evil #2, year after year after year after year.
    Yes, by all means, vote for Ron Paul. Does he stand a real chance? Nope, sure doesn't. Is he the most qualifed? Absolutely !
    Quit this nonsense about " a vote for Ron Paul is a vote for Obama."
    A vote for Ron Paul is a vote for what is right.
    But do not, for a second, take your eyes off what is coming in this country.

Ron Paul has stated repeatedly that he will NOT run as a third party candidate. So... how are you going to vote for him? I'll end up voting for McCain, but spending my real focus on local elections. If we start to infiltrate the State Legislatures, and then the Congress, with Ron Paul minded individuals, it would gradually become more spoken about in the Mainstream Media, and it would therefore educate the sheeple, who are more intelligent than people give them credit for.

I'm still waiting for a Jesse Venture/Ted Nugent ticket (in any order) :celebrate

Post imported post

KimberG19 wrote:
    Ron Paul has stated repeatedly that he will NOT run as a third party candidate. So... how are you going to vote for him? I'll end up voting for McCain, but spending my real focus on local elections. If we start to infiltrate the State Legislatures, and then the Congress, with Ron Paul minded individuals, it would gradually become more spoken about in the Mainstream Media, and it would therefore educate the sheeple, who are more intelligent than people give them credit for.

I'm still waiting for a Jesse Venture/Ted Nugent ticket (in any order) :celebrate
    That would definitely be... interesting.

Post imported post

The same old, tired game plan. Go ahead and vote for someone not qualified until such time (if ever) a truly qualified candidate is on the ballot.
    Infiltrate state legislatures and then the congress? It'll never happen. Your friends over at the mainstream media will do everything they can to work against you.
    Educate the sheeple? Again, ain't gonna happen. And no, they are NOT more intelligent than people give them credit for. If they were, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Uh... overthrow the government and butcher the unbelievers in the streets? Because voting for a write-in candidate or a 3rd party won't do anything to help our cause either. There's huge grassroots support for Ron Paul. And the fact is that while the sheeple turn out "en masse" (still low numbers, obviously) for Presidential Elections, they don't do so for locals. More passionate positions tend to win the day there-- and that's exactly what Ron Paul supporters excel at.

And while you say filling the local legislatures and Congress with supporters will never happen, it's a hell of a lot more likely than a write-in winning.

Post imported post

One more time.
    Voting for the WRONG person is NOT helping our cause. Period.
    Here, let me offer you a clue straight out of the history books.
    When things get this far along, working within the system rarely turns things around.
    It amazes me how people keep trying the same, old, wornout, proven-to-be useless approaches, hoping for totally opposite results.
    Again, it ain't gonna happen.
    You're missing the point entirely. There is no other option, plain and simple. Yes, it sucks. When there's only one option, and it sucks, you have to take it.

One more time.

Voting for a THIRD PARTY CANDIDATE will NOT help our cause. Period. Here, let me offer you a clue straight out of the history books. When things get this far along, working within the system rarely turns things around. It amazes me how people keep trying the same, old, wornout, provent-to-be useless approaches, like voting for a third party candidate, and hope for totally opposite results.

Again, it ain't gonna happen.

Post imported post

I have really tired of all the complaints about disliking the idea of voting for "the lesser of two evils". Guess what? Over 40 years of voting in elections, there has been only one candidate whose views almost perfectly matched mine: Ronald Reagan. In every other election, I was of course voting for the lesser of two evils, since we have a 2-party system, and that means it is rare that a voter will feel great kinship with ANY candidate. Voting for a 3rd party candidate (i.e., a loser) isn't going to "give a message to the other parties" and it doesn't show how principled you are. After all, if Barack and Hillary are the absolute worst candidates out there, the most principled thing to do is just stay home, since voting for a 3rd party candidate from the right wing will indirectly be a vote for your worst enemy.

We don't have a parliamentary democracy like in Europe, with dozens of parties, one for every possible belief system, from which a coalition is patched together to make a government and prime minister. That system has its pros and cons like all others, but it makes no sense to vote here as if we had that kind of system. We don't! Neither of the 2 present parties are going to go belly up or change their stripes any time soon. That only happened once when the Whigs self-destructed in the 1850's, and the circumstances were very different then.

Rant over (for now) Flame away!!:X

Post imported post

Some of you voters out there that are stuck into the two-party system belief shouldn't never expect any better results than we just got for the last 8 years, or really the last 20 years to be more accurate. When you are at the voting booth, there is not a "vote against" box, you are voting FOR a candidate. That means you would be voting FOR McCain andall of his unconstitutional past and future.If it is not voting my principles to vote for who I feelwould be the closest candidate to abide by their oath of office, then I think we have alreadylost our country. To say that a vote FOR somebody is a vote for somebody else is mind-boggling.

The continuation of voting for the same thing time and time again will guarantee one thing and one thing only. More of the same. I'll be damned if I will ever cast another vote for a candidate that treats the constitution like scrap paper.

Nothing will ever change unless the votersshow they have had enough and I have had enough. My vote will not be a "protest" vote. I will vote for a specificcandidate that will actually protect the constitution and not spear it at every opportunity.

To be perfectly honest, I think the only way the republican party can ever feasibly recover it's principlesis for Obama to win in a landslide. They obviously haven't learned anything aftergetting their asses handed to them for the past two elections. The people are tired of having to choose between a democrat and a democrat with an (R) next to their name.

Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

Soooo... what some of you are saying is that if someone comes up to you and says that they will either kick you in the balls or beat you over the head with a bat, those are the only options?

Kimber G19 did you sleep through civics class? it's called a write in.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

The lesser of two evils is still.....evil.

Post imported post

Well, I was going to vote Libertarian this year, but those ****** bags nominated a Republican for President, so...now that Libertarian Party is now Republican Lite, I suppose I'll have to vote fourth party or write someone else in.

Ron Paul is the probable write-in choice.

Post imported post

I just cringe at the idea of Obama or Hillary selecting a Supreme Court Justice or two.

That choice could last 30 years!!!!

That is why I have to vote against them.

Post imported post

Ric in Richmond wrote:
    I just cringe at the idea of Obama or Hillary selecting a Supreme Court Justice or two.

That choice could last 30 years!!!!

That is why I have to vote against them.

That's the only reason I may be able to bring myself to vote for McCain. If it were highly unlikely that a SCOTUS opening would arise under the next presidency I wouldn't vote for the man.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

John wrote:
    Well, I was going to vote Libertarian this year, but those ****** bags nominated a Republican for President, so...now that Libertarian Party is now Republican Lite, I suppose I'll have to vote fourth party or write someone else in.

Ron Paul is the probable write-in choice.
    The 'drug legalization' plank is still in the LP platform. That kind'a excuses them from Republicanism, lite or otherwise or, indeed, from conservatism...and my vote.

Yes, I will write-in Ron Paul as my own shot in Operation Chaos.

Post imported post

savery wrote:
    I'm voting Ron Paul.
    +1,000,000

I refuse to vote for the man who gave us McCain-Feingold, McCain-Lieberman, and McCain-Kennedy.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Prophet wrote:
    Doug Huffman, I am a libertarian and I have never done an illicit drug in my life. The libertarian party isnt a "pro-drug" party but rather a pro freedom party. In that if someone wants to **** up their life by taking drugs they are more than free to do so. Just like if someone wants to defend themselves with a firearm for protection they are free to do so. And I find that this is your reason that you wouldnt vote for a Libertarian yet are willing to vote for Ron Paul, the Libertarian Candidate for mayor in 1988. Mr. Paul also believes that the War on Drugs is a huge waste of money and time and we would be better off without it. He says so right on his webpage.
    No one said that you had.

Here are the relevant planks from the LP http://www.lp.org/issues/platform_all.shtml

2.9 Health Care

We favor restoring and reviving a free market health care system. We recognize the freedom of individuals to determine the level of health insurance they want, the level of health care they want, the care providers they want, the medicines and treatments they will use and all other aspects of their medical care, including end-of-life decisions.

1.2 Personal Privacy

We support the protections provided by the Fourth Amendment to be secure in our persons, homes, and property. Only actions that infringe on the rights of others can properly be termed crimes. We favor the repeal of all laws creating "crimes" without victims, such as the use of drugs for medicinal or recreational purposes.

When John Q. Public, the (healthcare) taxpayer is not responsible for the misdeeds of his brother then we can do more than pay lip-service to personal freedom.

Ron Paul is not the GOP and the GOP is not Ron Paul (same as Bush). My vote for Paul is a 'none of the above.' If the Pres was the head of his party and/or the party kept the Pres in line then things would be different. If froggies had wings then they wouldn't bump their butt.

Post imported post

Prophet wrote:
    Well sir, if Obama wins and some goosestepping nazis come for my gun, im blaming people just like you.

Prophet, I can see where it may make more sense for some voters to hold their nose and vote for McCain in a blue state that is closely contested like yours. However, the statement above is something I cannot get behind. If you want to blame somebody, there is a lot of places to end up pointing fingers and the first place you should start is the people that were actuallysocialist enough to place their vote for Obama.

If McCain loses, it will not be because of people that vote third party. It will be because the GOP hasn't given us a decent presidential candidate since Ronald Reagan and we were left with nobody worthy of our vote. People must vote their convictions and live with that vote the rest of their lives. I realize I live in a state that will vote for McCain no matter what I choose to do, but I had decided this way 4 years ago.

Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

+1 flintlock , the GOP has failed us.

I saw a report some time back that showed McShame as getting an F from the NRA the previous 2 years and a C the 2 years before that. How is this good for gunowners.

He claims to want to put in adherants to the constitution on the bench but he does'nt adhere to the constitution himself.

At this point I can't vote for him, I just don't see where I agree with him on anything.

Post imported post

While my vote leads to McCain. I assure you that noway in hell will I ever give a second thought to voting for an Anti-American like Osama Obama. The man refuses to wear the flag pin and put his hand over his heart. 2 simple gestures that show respect to the flag and this country. Not to mention the thousands of men and women across this country that never made it home in defence of it. I don't see how anyone could even consider someone who doesn't believe in the country they want to run. God help me and us all if he becomes our Commander and Chief. Hell McCainhas even asked Osama to join him several times on a trip to Iraq and has been told no thus far. Don't get me started on his immigration ideas. His mentor is a black power extremist preacher.

Billary is no different in my mind. She's supportive of the troops and the flag at least. But she wants to take our guns as well. She's on record as saying "ONLY LEO's and Military in the line of duty should be allowed access to weapons". At least she's not out for an outright ban. Her views on immigration lack common sense.

McCain may not be 100% on the side of gun owners but no candidate is. At least he's willing to say that the law abiding citizen should be allowed to have guns and keep them. He supports the troops and has made trips to the Middle East to show his support. He's for harsh immigration laws.

While no candidate will see my way of thinking 100%. I'll at least go for the one that shares the most at at least is willing to shift toward those views.

I'm a Pro gun, Pro military, Catholic, and if your not here legally get the hell out. My .02
    AD1(AW) USN (ACT) 12/07/1997-10/02/2011
    TSgt USAFR 10/03/2011-?
    Owner-Bullbuster Taxidermy
    Kids who hunt and fish, don't steal and deal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast