• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/CC and the DCJS

fnsnet

imported post

Hey, Lurker... I have come accross a problem I hoped that you could help me with. I've lived in Franklin, VA (and I'm proud to report I've yet to have a problem with OC down here) but I work in Richmond. I've never really felt the need to carry (OC or CC) to work, but I'll be moving to Richmond this summer and I will want to start carrying to work.

I work for a company in Richmond that is registered with the VA Department of Criminal Justice Services. We install high security card access systems, as well as your normal high security locks, and doors. I am their network administrator. I'd rather not leave my handgun in the car while I'm working in the office, but I've heard their could be issues with DCJS if I'm carrying while at work.

Advice?

Matthew

G9M&P15

imported post

Virginia has statewide preemption. IANAL, but it would seem to me that the worst you would have to deal with would be illegal harassment. They couldn't throw anything real at you. The real deal would be checking with your company to see if they have any restrictions.

Correct me if I misunderstood your question.

EDIT: Uh... do you mean you install locks in Federal Buildings and/or Courthouses? Because that would be a problem.

fnsnet

imported post

I guess you've got the jist of it... but the DCJS DOES have special requirments on some people. http://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/ That's their site, perhaps you'll be better at research that I am.

And no, I understand the Courthouse and other Gov't Buildings. I'm a Network Admin... I rarely go anywhere... but if for some reason I have to respond out to a gov't building... I'll be sure to leave the handgun. :)

Matt

Glock27Bill

imported post

I went to the dcjs website, then followed a link to Employment Opportunities, then to

Department of Human Resource, then to their EmploymentManual located here:

http://www.dpt.state.va.us/hrpolicy/web/pol1_80.html

This is under Prohibited Actions:

[*]possessing, brandishing, or using a weapon that is not required by the individual’s position while on state premises or engaged in state business;

G9M&P15

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
I went to the dcjs website, then followed a link to Employment Opportunities, then to

[*]
possessing, brandishing, or using a weapon that is not required by the individual’s position while on state premises or engaged in state business;
Well, there's your answer. May be a crock of shit, but there it is. And uh... State Premises? Does that mean that you couldn't carry one onto state property even when not working? And couldn't even leave it in your car (assuming state ownership of the parking lot).

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

Have your company make your position an armed (optional) one and just qualify for your handgun permit (EDIT: it's actually a firearms endorsement [had to look at mine to read what it was actually called]) through DCJS it's EASY!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

KimberG19 wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

[*]
possessing, brandishing, or using a weapon that is not required by the individual’s position while on state premises or engaged in state business;
Well, there's your answer. May be a crock of shit, but there it is. And uh... State Premises? Does that mean that you couldn't carry one onto state property even when not working? And couldn't even leave it in your car (assuming state ownership of the parking lot).
This is policy that applies to folks who are employed by the Commonwealth of Virginia. It has nothing to do with you if you are employed by a private company - even if your company has a DCJS license as an alarm installer/responder.
Check your own company's HR handbook, or be bold and ask your boss.

Based on state preemption, you should be able to carry unrestricted at most state government facilities if you are called on-site (as long as you are not classified as an alarm responder). You know the exceptions - prisons, secure areas of police stations, courts, etc. Your company may have some rules that could effect your carrying.

As a former Armed Security Guard/Courier I do not support the suggestion that you get DCJS armed certification. It imposes severe limitations on what, where, when, and how you can carry, and imposes greatly on your right to self defense. You also are prohibited in most cases from concealed carry even if you have a CHP. On top of all that, you will be required to wear a badge, nameplate, and some form of company ID while "on duty". You also cannot have personal firearms in your vehicle unless they are listed (by type) on your DCJS hard card (the ID you get at DMV after passing training & paying your yearly fees). Some DCJS inspectors do not allow you to have non-permitted type ammo (you are listed for .45acp & get caught with a box of 9mm in the trunkcan = bad).

stay safe.

skidmark

fnsnet

imported post

Thanks for the guidance. I sent DCJS a message asking this peticular question. When I get the answer from them I will post it here FYI.

Thanks!
Matt