• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NV- Permit holder stops killer in bar.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

From the WVCDL

1. CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT HOLDER STOPS POTENTIAL BARROOM MASSACRE IN NEVADA
Many states prohibit carrying in bars—and some in any establishment, including most restaurants, that serves alcoholic beverages. If the story below had happened in any of those states, it would likely have ended with many more dead because the concealed handgun permit holder who ended this potential massacre would have followed the law and not had the ability to shoot the killer before he killed more people. Like almost all other gun control measures, restaurant and/or bar carry bans are based on emotion and fear unfounded by fact; states that have no restaurant and/or bar carry bans have not experienced significant problems with concealed handgun permit holders committing crimes there or any other place where we can legally carry.

Nevada and West Virginia are among the states that have no restaurant or bar carry restrictions.

http://tinyurl.com/5jty7r

Gazette-Journal

May 27, 2008

Three shootings leave small town shaken

Jason Hidalgo (jhidalgo@rgj.com)

WINNEMUCCA -- Yellow police tape surrounded the deserted parking lot of Players Bar on an overcast Monday afternoon, a sign on the road informing passersby that the facility is closed until further notice.

Just a day after gunshots fired inside Players left three people dead and two injured, the facility's manager said the bar's interior has been cleaned and it can be opened at any time. But with many of its workers still "shook up" from the incident, the bar stayed closed for now, 27-year-old manager Erin Hayes said.

"I was there. I saw everything," said Hayes, who lay stomach down on the floor just six feet away from shooter Ernesto Fuentes Villagomez, 30, of Winnemucca.

"(Villagomez) looked very determined. You could see it in his eyes. He wasn't just shooting random people. He was focused on those two."

The two were Winnemucca residents and brothers Jose Torres, 20, and Margarito Torres, 19, who Villagomez shot with a high-capacity handgun about 2:30 a.m. Sunday, police said. Residents of Winnemucca, a town of 8,000 people about 160 miles northeast of Reno, still were reacting Monday to the shooting, saying they couldn't believe this could happen in their town.

"I'm just sad that something like this could happen in a little town like Winnemucca," said resident Heather Huerta, 22. "I probably would feel different if someone from out of town did it. But having local residents involved makes it scary."

At first, Hayes thought someone set off a firecracker in the bar; no warning or fight preceded the shooting. But once it became clear what was going on, everyone hit the floor, Hayes said. Including employees, about 40 people were in the bar, Hayes said, disputing police reports that about 300 patrons were in and around the bar.

"I saw (Villagomez) shoot one guy, come back around and shoot the other guy," Hayes said.

Villagomez then started walking toward the middle of the bar before suddenly collapsing to the floor. Hayes later found out that Villagomez was shot by a 48-year-old customer from Reno who was carrying a concealed handgun. Authorities declined to release the Reno man's name, only saying that the man had a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon. The man was released after authorities ruled the death a justifiable homicide.

"He was just some random guy in jeans and a shirt who happened to be there," Hayes said. "I was just glad that there was somebody there who was able to help us out."

Villagomez and the Torres brothers died at the scene, the Winnemucca Police Department said. Police said Monday that the two injured victims, a 34-year-old man and 22-year-old woman, were released from Humboldt General Hospital.

Authorities ruled out disputes from rival motorcycle gangs as a cause for the altercation. Winnemucca's "Runamucca" motorcycle event was going on at the time of shooting. Police are investigating whether the shooting was related to a longstanding feud between the families of the three people who were killed.

"We've talked to the families," said officer Jeff Murdock of the Winnemucca Police Department when asked about the feud. "(Retaliation) is a legitimate concern ... so we're out there being visible and staying close to the families and making sure we're doing whatever we can to help them at this time."

Murdock declined to comment on any previous incidents between the families. Winnemucca police Chief Bob Davidson said Sunday that the bar incident may be related to an earlier drive-by shooting.

Hayes also said she was shocked to learn Villagomez and Margarito Torres were involved in the incident because she remembered them being "nice" guys, especially Villagomez.

"Ernesto has always been polite," Hayes said. "He was always nice and courteous. He never started a fight, at least not in this bar."

Reaction from residents about the shooting ranged from surprise to sadness. Resident Pat Lee, 66, said that although the shooting was unfortunate, it has not changed her perception of the town.

"I still think Winnemucca is safe," Lee said. "I don't think it has affected my feelings about the town at all."

Zack Pruitt, 17, said the shooting was unexpected.

"I was surprised to hear about it," Pruitt said. "It's very rare for something like this to happen here."

Hayes was also saddened by the local link from the incident. Like many people in the town, Hayes -- who grew up in Los Angeles -- said she moved into Winnemucca to get away from all the troubles typically seen in bigger cities.

"I like the small town politeness," Hayes said. "I like how everyone knows you and says hi and holds doors open for you and says, 'thank you.' The fact that the shooting involved members of the community makes it even more sad. The three people who were killed have families here. And now those families are mourning."

hsmith

imported post

http://www.ktvn.com/Global/story.asp...&nav=menu549_2

Three Men Killed in Winnemucca Shooting on Sunday

Posted: May 25, 2008 11:35 PM
Rebecca Bessler
Channel 2 News

Deputies with the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office are investigating a shooting in Winnemucca early Sunday morning that left three people dead and others injured.

The shooting happened at the Player's Bar & Grill on South Grass Valley Road.

Investigators say a feud between two local families is behind the early-morning shooting inside the bar. Three men from Winnemucca died from gunshot wounds, and two others are in critical condition at the hospital.

Deputies say about 2:25 a.m., 30-year-old Ernesto Villa Gomez walked into the bar and starting shooting. 20-year-old Jose Torres and his 19-year-old brother Margarito Torres were killed. When Villa Gomez was reloading his semi-automatic gun, a man from Reno took out a gun and shot Villa Gomez. That man has a concealed weapons permit.

The unidentified man who shot Villa Gomez is not expected to be charged in this incident; law enforcement call it a justifiable homicide.

Local police, the Sheriff's Office and the Nevada Highway Patrol are preparing for retaliation from one or both of the families, and rumors are already circulating in the small town of Winnemucca. There is a sense of sadness for losing three local men in this violent incident.

The Player's Bar & Grill was full of about 300 people, because a local biker event "Runnemucca" is going on this holiday weekend.

Loneviking

imported post

I don't understand your question as why would you NOT need a gun in a bar? This was a bar and GRILL, so both drinking and eating were going on. In Nevada, it is legal to carry in bars, along with drinking as long as your BAL is .10 or under.

Within the last month, in Reno, there have been at least two violent bar robberies. One man was shot and killed in the Good Times bar by an armed robber. A second bar was robbed when a man walked in, fired one round into the wall, and took everyones wallets. Both of these are the types of bar where locals gather before or after work to eat, have a beer, place a bet on a game and catch up on the local gossip.

The police say that they have stepped up patrols and done all that they can do. The police have said that it's up to the individual to protect themselves and that's what the patron with the CCW was doing.

compmanio365

imported post

This is why I carry......no matter where I am.......if I have to face a charge for carrying where I'm not "supposed to", then so be it......better to face charges than dead.......

hsmith

imported post

Loneviking wrote:
I don't understand your question as why would you NOT need a gun in a bar? This was a bar and GRILL, so both drinking and eating were going on. In Nevada, it is legal to carry in bars, along with drinking as long as your BAL is .10 or under.

Within the last month, in Reno, there have been at least two violent bar robberies. One man was shot and killed in the Good Times bar by an armed robber. A second bar was robbed when a man walked in, fired one round into the wall, and took everyones wallets. Both of these are the types of bar where locals gather before or after work to eat, have a beer, place a bet on a game and catch up on the local gossip.

The police say that they have stepped up patrols and done all that they can do. The police have said that it's up to the individual to protect themselves and that's what the patron with the CCW was doing.
rhetorical question :p

VA Governor Tim "Guns and Alcohol Don't Mix" Kaine doesn't think we need the right to protect ourselves in establishments that serve, so it hits close to home.

John

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
This is why I carry......no matter where I am.......if I have to face a charge for carrying where I'm not "supposed to", then so be it......better to face charges than dead.......
Better to face a jury than a pine box.

Weak 9mm

imported post

It's times like this that I'm glad I don't drink. A bar is often an unstable environment and I'm glad I don't feel the need to go to one, around these parts I'd have to disarm. You're supposed to disarm in any establishment that serves alcohol for consumption in NC. I guess my ability to eat in certain restaurants will be limited, otherwise I'd be forced to break the law if I want to be protected (And I'm not going to break any laws so it looks like I wont be eating in a lot of places).

John

imported post

If you conceal properly and something does happen where you need the firearm, you'll be happy to take it to the jury rather than have yourself or someone you love laying dead on the floor.

PT111

imported post

Why would you need a gun in a bar?
Than's an easy one, to take care of that drunk that is trying to fondle your wife. :shock: I don't think anyone ever would think that you wouldn't ever need a gun at a bar it's just that the odds of it being used for more than self-defense are higher than in church. :lol: I know plenty of people that when they are sober I would trust them with almost anything but when they get a few drinks in them I don't want to be near them. :what:

Weak 9mm

imported post

If you conceal properly and something does happen where you need the firearm, you'll be happy to take it to the jury rather than have yourself or someone you love laying dead on the floor.

Oh yeah, I agree, that's why I'll be staying out of anywhere that wants to disarm me. If there was a situation in which I found myself having to go into one of these places I guess there is always the option of carrying a pocket pistol, but I would NEVER do this because again, it would mean I was breaking the law. No law breaking here.

I know plenty of people that when they are sober I would trust them with almost anything but when they get a few drinks in them I don't want to be near them.
Yes, it often completely changes someone into a person I can't stand. The reduction of inhibitions and judgement skills often makes people just plain obnoxious. It's also addictive for a lot of people and I've watched a number of folks decline badly in both mental and physical health due to it.

MetalChris

imported post

John wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
Better to face a jury than a pine box.
Not in my case. If I go to jail, my wife is SOL, but if I'm killed she get's a nice sum from my life insurance policy. :p

Lew

imported post

hsmith wrote:
...a man from Reno took out a gun and shot Villa Gomez. That man has a concealed weapons permit.
Sounds like a Johnny Cash song...;)

Did you know the way we act while imbibing is in part due to culture effects? Not every society acts the same while intoxicated. Can't even recall the article I was reading...but my point is, don't just blame the poor booze :p

imperialism2024

imported post

Ah, but you see, the killer only killed these people because the gun in his hand sniffed out the gun on the CCW-permit holder, and then proceeded to start shooting. Had no one been carrying a gun but the shooter, and had no one tried to fight back or resist, the evil gun wouldn't have hurt anyone. Clearly, carrying a gun causes violence.

:?

wayneco

imported post

http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080526/NEWS18/80526010

Winnemucca police statement on bar shootings

MAY 26, 2008

Statement from the Winnemucca Police Department:

On Sunday May 25, 2008 at approximately 2:30 a.m. the Winnemucca Police Department was dispatched to the Players Bar and Grill located at 1062 South Grass Valley Road on the report of numerous shots fired and multiple gunshot victims. A combined law enforcement team consisting of Officers from the Winnemucca Police Department and Deputies from the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office responded to the dispatch call and secured the scene. There were approximately 300 patrons in and around the bar. No shots were fired by law enforcement during the incident.

The officers on scene discovered three adult males who had died from obvious gunshot wounds. Two additional gunshot victims were also located. One of these victims, a 34 year old male, was transported to Humboldt General Hospital via private vehicle. The other victim, a 22 year old female, was transported via Humboldt County Ambulance. Both of these injured parties were treated and admitted to Humboldt General Hospital in “stable condition”. Both victims have now been released from the hospital.

The initial investigation indicated that there had been two separate shooters during the incident. One of the alleged shooters, Ernesto Fuentes Villagomez, age 30 of Winnemucca, was among the three men who were dead on arrival. The other was a 48 year old Reno man who was initially taken into custody at the scene as a person of interest.

The subsequent investigation lead detectives to believe that Villagomez entered the bar and at some point began firing multiple rounds. At least two of these rounds struck and killed the other two decedents, Jose Torres age, 20 and his brother Margarito Torres, age 19 both of Winnemucca. At some point during this shooting spree Villagomez allegedly stopped and according to witnesses reloaded his high capacity handgun and began shooting again.

It was at this point that the second shooter, the Reno resident, produced a concealed handgun and proceeded to fire upon Villagomez who succumbed to his wounds. The Reno resident was in possession of a valid Concealed Carry Permit issued through the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office.

After further investigation as well as ongoing discussions with Humboldt County District Attorney Russell Smith, the decision was made that the shooting of Villagomez by the Reno man was a justifiable homicide as outlined in Nevada Revised Statute 200.120 and 200.160. Because of this the Reno man was released from police custody.

Although the shooting occurred during the Runnamucca event weekend there is no evidence linking the incident to any rival motorcycle gangs or clubs. Additionally, each of the decedents and victims were all Winnemucca residents. The investigation is currently pursuing a lead that indicates that this event may have been the result of a long standing feud between several families. There have been no further acts of violence reported in relation to this incident.

The Winnemucca Police Department utilized the services of the Washoe County Crime Lab to assist with the processing of the crime scene. Additional support in the investigation was provided by the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office, the Department of Public Safety – Investigation and Highway Patrol Divisions, and the Humboldt County District Attorney’s Office.

AbNo

imported post

Hey, it says he had to stop to reload his "high capacity handgun".

I guess this is proof that so-called "hi cap" guns don't have any effect on a shooting.

Or that if they do, only a few people died as opposed to say, VA Tech or Columbine.