• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Class III Help Please

Dustin

imported post

Good Day Folks,

I'm very happy I found this site :celebrate

I'm a Marine Veteran now, and work on Ft. Polk as a Gov. Contractor. Since being out of the Corps and the Grunts I dearly miss the smell of gunpowder and the feel of Automatic Power :(

I'm looking to start collecting some Full Auto's and possibly a silencer or two for them.

My interest are:

Glock 18, AR-15, and maybe an MP5 or Skorpion in the future.

I've searched around for how to do this and found some interesting things like, the 200$ Tax fee, Finger Print Cards, recent photo, but I'm still stumped on who, what, and where to do all this stuff.

I'm also a little confused on the difference between a "Collector of Curios & Relics" and between a Class III.

I got one guy telling me that a Class III is a Federal License, but I thought it was just a State License.

So if someone can help me understand:

The difference between Class III, FFL, and Curios & Relics

And what I need and where I need to go in order to just purchase and own a Fully suppresed or Full Auto Weapon.

Thanks Alot guys, It's defintely good to see a website like this for this exact purpose :D

Dustin

imported post

Will do, But I'm actually looking for a Louisiana Native who already has a Class III. We have Parishes here that sometimes work like counties. Some allow stuff some don't.

Thanks for that link I've used it before.

As for as State Regs go, LA allows most if not everything to do with Full Auto and Silenced weapons.

Thanks again :)

ODA 226

imported post

Dustin,

I've been a Class III holder since 1985. You MUST be familiar with all state and federal laws.

Recently, I had to surrender a registered AOW with no reibursement due to a change in Virginia law that occured when I was out of the country. (I was gone for 15 years)

This cost me at least $3,000.00! Get on the ATF site or call the NFA branch to find all federal laws. Call your state police NFA branch to get all state laws also. State and federal laws don't always mesh. I had complied with federal law only to find out that I was in violation of state law, however innocently.

I was almost made a felon due to the stroke of a bureaucratic pen. Don't let this happen to you!

Dustin

imported post

Aw Man, what a bummer ! 3 Grand ?

I'll check it out more in depth and check back with you if I get lost in translation.

Thanks Again, it surely feels good to be aorund some people who don't bat their eyes at Gun lovers :cool:

aroundlsu

imported post

I recently acquired a suppressor. The procedure is exactly the same for a machine gun or AOW. I wrote a detailed narrative on the whole process at bayoushooter.com. Feel free to PM with with questions. Louisiana has a few extra steps that other states don't have and the trust method won't work at all here since we are on the Napoleonic Code system. So the online guides aren't 100% correct for Louisiana.

aroundlsu

imported post

The way around it is to set up an LLC instead. Very easy to do but must be maintained as long as you own the weapon.

Or do it as in individual and get a CLEO signoff and forget about it for the rest of your life.

Another one of the problems with the trust is getting it approved with the state. There is no place on the form to mark "trust". There is just "individual" and "corporation". Again this is how La is different. All transfers must be approved and registered with the state PRIOR to submitting your Form 4. Copies of the approvals must be enclosed with you Form 4 packet. Thankfully, this is relatively easy and only takes about a week.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Ahh, that is why I did not forsee the problem.

I was planning on doing an LLC anyway. Not for any particular reason, I just like LLCs.

The benefit is that I can name others to be a part of it and they can use the weapon, too.

aroundlsu

imported post

Yes good idea. I have to make sure to leave my suppressor locked in the safe when I leave the house with my girlfriend there. Technically, she would be in control of the suppressor and be in violation of the NFA if I just left it lying around I wasn't home.

Not a big deal UNLESS there was an incident while I was gone (like a home invasion and she shoots the BG with the damn suppressed .45).

We've been together for several years so she understands the NFA law and my weapons well even though she has her own names for certain parts. She calls an upper the "barrel". "Don't bring that barrel home until you get the permit!". lol

aroundlsu

imported post

OK, my bad. The correct term is "civil law" not napoleonic code. Still the point being, if anyone can find a way to make a trust go through please let me know. I've consulted two lawyers, the NFA examiners at ATF, and Kevin at Precision Firearms. They all say the same thing: Can't do a trust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana#Civil_Law

But don't take my word for it. Just call the ATF NFA branch customer service line. They are very easy to talk to and know their stuff.

aroundlsu

imported post

Looks expensive. Check it out and let me know what he quotes you. My next two NFA projects (a SBR & suppressor) are already in progress with the CLEO signoff for an individual transfer.

Before dropping any money on a trust I'd highly advise you talk to an NFA examiner at the ATF first. Kevin said he's seen several Louisiana trusts get rejected recently but he didn't say why.