• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pen test for firearm

thx997303

imported post

any of you guys tried this? I saw it in another thread on here.

Anyway, i decided to test the hi point I just bought, so I stuck a pen in the barrel, pointed it at the ceiling with the gun cocked, and pulled the trigger, and the pen flew and smacked the ceiling, which i was like, good the firing pin operates.

So I went to show my wife, whose gun it is, and I pulled the trigger, but the pen didn't go anywhere. I was like WTF? so I pulled the gun apart and couldn't find anything wrong.

I tried it again and still nothing. So I pulled the pen out of the barrel, and that's when I noticed..............................

A hole in the back of the pen. It wasn't launching it because the firing pin had punched a hole in the pen. I felt stupid, grabbed another pen, and fired one into the ceiling. It punched a hole in that one too.

I only spent $50 on this gun, as it had no magazine. I called hi point, and they're sending me a mag, extractor and firing pin assembly for free. Now to verify that it has a FTF FTE problem :D

I like spare parts.

GeneticsDave

imported post

Most people suggest using a pencil - put the rubber eraser end down the barrel. That way it doesn't go quite as far (won't hurt anyone) and you won't damage all your pens.

thx997303

imported post

I guess that is sound advice, I had no idea that it would penetrate the pen.

What do you mean hurt someone? Muzzle awareness.

GeneticsDave

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
I guess that is sound advice, I had no idea that it would penetrate the pen.

What do you mean hurt someone? Muzzle awareness.
What goes up must come down, just 'cause it goes up without hitting someone doesn't mean it won't hit someone on the return arc. :lol:

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Okay, so I just had to try this. Must remember, never ever ever tell the kids about this trick. Anything that makes a real gun act like a toy gun should not be done in front of kids.

scarletwahoo

imported post

I only spent $50 on this gun, as it had no magazine. I called hi point, and they're sending me a mag, extractor and firing pin assembly for free. Now to verify that it has a FTF FTE problem :D

I like spare parts.

I got my hi-point compact 9mm for $80 with a mag. They seem to be reliable guns and stays on target at 50 ft. Can't beat the price and they all have a transferable lifetime warrenty! They are ugly as sin though! If you need a cheap holster for it, you can pickup the crosman airsoft holster from walmart for about $7, it works fine.

thx997303

imported post

asforme, I agree, you should nost do this in front of kids.

And you're right about the return arc, but that would have to be a heavy pen to really inflict damage, or hit you in the eye.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

asforme wrote:
Okay, so I just had to try this. Must remember, never ever ever tell the kids about this trick. Anything that makes a real gun act like a toy gun should not be done in front of kids.
What the heck did you tell me for then?????? :lol: