• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello Question New User

willfly777

imported post

Hello,

I'm trying to clear up some debate between friends. Is it legal to transport a handgun in a locked case with ammunition inside the case. The ammunition is in the original case and closed. The firearm is place with slide open and clip out. No ammunition is place inside the clip. All is locked...

Thanks and hope this is clear...

Legba

imported post

edit - sorry, you said a locked case.... I would think this would be ok in Ohio in that specific case. I was having flashbacks - ignore previous post. ;-/

-ljp

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

willfly777 wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to clear up some debate between friends. Is it legal to transport a handgun in a locked case with ammunition inside the case. The ammunition is in the original case and closed. The firearm is place with slide open and clip out. No ammunition is place inside the clip. All is locked...

Thanks and hope this is clear...

The rest of the story, that Most Valued menber Legba may not have made clear, is that the precise answer to your question depends on the jurisdiction, usually the State.

willfly777

imported post

Whoop guess the state would help... Sorry I know new user... HA HA anyways this is the CA we are dealing with... Yes I live in CA, lame I know and its gun laws...!

Legba

imported post

My condolences... Yeah, consult the Cali Penal Code for specifics in that case. I wouldn't presume that anything reasonable with respect to firearms is legal there.

Sorry I wasn't clearer for the new guy (thank you for pointing this out, Doug). Welcome to the forum in any case.

-ljp