• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seafair 2008

ATCer

imported post

I don't see why not. I do believe the pits are on city property. Or, you could just take a boat to the boom dock. That's fun too!

kc7riw

imported post

This is my first time posting here, I have been watching the forum for a number of months now, and have finally gotten around to applying for my WA CPL Tuesday. I am working on the volunteer committee with Seafair and because even I was unable to find an answer about firearms at Seafair, i posed the question to some of the staff who were able to point me to this portion of their website which prohibits firearms at Seafair.

http://www.seafair.com/about/AtoZ.asp Click "F" at the top.

Firearms:
Firearms at not permitted at the Chevrolet Cup and KeyBank Air Show at Seafair.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for the OC (and CC for that matter) community.

heresolong

imported post

kc7riw wrote:
http://www.seafair.com/about/AtoZ.asp Click "F" at the top.

Firearms:
Firearms at not permitted at the Chevrolet Cup and KeyBank Air Show at Seafair.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for the OC (and CC for that matter) community.
Genessee Park, which appears to be where you are going for this, is a city park. How do they ban firearms? Is Seafair an independent event, not put on by the city, and are they renting the park for the event?

Mightybigjosh

imported post

Any issues OCing or even CCing yet?
I'm going to be attending this weekend and need to know if I can bring it or leave it at home. We'll be taking a shuttle to and from, so it's not like I can just go back and put it in the car after I get there.
I'd hate to go unarmed but I HAVE to be there this year.

Any advice would be helpful.

Josh

arms_libertas

imported post

I was thinking about this and although Seafair is a private organization and has (my assumption)rented or otherwise procured Genesee Park & the Stan Sayres Memorial Park, the strip of dirt/grass between Lake Washington Blvd and the lake isn't either of those. I'm not sure if Seafair can rent that space from the City of Seattle, and therefore it might not be subject to the same restrictions that they can put on both of the rented park spaces. IANAL and don't know what the rental agreement looks like, so you may not want to chance it, but if you avoid the parks you might be okay. Otherwise, I'd take them at their word for enforcing the no weapons policy.

Also, it has beenmentioned to me that because of the numbers in attendance (100k+), the whole site falls under some special Homeland Security event classification. I'm not 100% on what that means, but it sounds like the law enforcement personnel have a few more powers granted to them in those conditions.

jepp114

imported post

Did anybody actually go to this? I'm planning on going tomorrow but don't want to be turned away at the gate. What type of security screening is there?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

jepp114 wrote:
Did anybody actually go to this? I'm planning on going tomorrow but don't want to be turned away at the gate. What type of security screening is there?
I use to volunteer at Seafair Hydros for many years. Some security guy in a yellow shirt or jacket looking at your ticket.... that is all. Considering the number of people CC would be in your best interest at this event.

Thundar

imported post

arms_libertas wrote:
Also, it has beenmentioned to me that because of the numbers in attendance (100k+), the whole site falls under some special Homeland Security event classification. I'm not 100% on what that means, but it sounds like the law enforcement personnel have a few more powers granted to them in those conditions.
It is BS

Lowski

imported post

If you OC you are most likely are not going to be allowed in or will be hassled when it'seventually seen inside the event.Lastyear there were quite a few cops and rental cops milling around.The area outside of the fencesshould be fine since that isn't in the area being rented, reserved or whatever agreement the Seafair organization has with the City of Seattle.

The security people hired by Seafair suck. Last year the Seafairwebsite said bikes were allowed inside the fences as long you walked them. Since traffic is horrible down there my wife and I rode our bikes. We get to the gate and the ticket taker won't let us in with our bikes. I show them the website print out and they still say no. I make them drag the head of security done for a chat. He pretty much told us that they can make the rules up as they see fit regardless of whats published. Says people with bikes are a safety hazard. Never mind all the strollers and coolers people are dragging through the crowds.

I have given upon Seafair. The air show is the only good part and I can watch that for free from elsewhere.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

I agree. I grew up living a couple miles south of the Stan Sayers pits. When I was little, my dad, brother, and I would ride our bikes down there and walk around the pits and see all the boats and cranes and people. This was during the races. There were no fences, no tickets,just people gathered down there to see the excitement. It's been so commercialized it's crazy. That's what happens though. If you can get down there, Lake Washington Blvd. has miles of access to the water. That place gets so packed with people though, it's hard to just walk around. I'll just stick to watching the races on TV. The Blue Angels...? Na, seen them so many times, it's just not that big a deal. Kinda like open carrying... I do it so much, it's just not a big deal... :cool: