• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This will give you a chuckle....

maclean

imported post

Two articles, two papers, two takes...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004442313_folklifeshooting28m0.html

"The man accused of opening fire at Seattle's Northwest Folklife Festival, wounding three people, had obtained a concealed-weapon permit from the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office even though federal and state laws should have prevented him from having one."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/364861_shooting28.html

"He had the right to carry firearm under state, federal laws."

I called Nancy at the Times, identified myself, and pointed out her error in fact.

As it turns out, she was relying on her reading of the application for a license, rather than the law.

I'm a pretty serious gun law nut, one of two in my department. It annoys me to no end when people suck up this stuff off the news and believe it.

Her number is at the bottom of the Times article.

It seriously annoys me to see the PI getting it right and the Times screwing it up. :banghead:

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

What's the error in fact, exactly? If he hadn't been involuntarily committed for a period greater than two weeks he would not have been ineligible under State law, unless he had been "judged" mentally defective, which would require a court order, no?

And I'm not aware of federal laws on concealed carry, merely on sales of a weapon, right? I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if someone has a citation.

maclean

imported post

You're reversing my assessment :D

The Times got it wrong, the Times said he was ineligible.

(Unless they have revised their article, that is)

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

I find it odd the focus is on the concealed permit. Would this not have happened if he had not been given the permit? If he lied on the 4473 or he obtained a handgun knowing he is prohibited, a felony is in progress and the fact he has a CWP is irrelevant.

If he were legal to buy the gun and possess it, he could open carry it without the permit. It’s the evil permit that did this!

Derka

imported post

I find it odd the focus is on the concealed permit.
I'm sorry, but I find this statement to be a little amazing.Have younot yet figured out that sheeple, much lesslaw enforcement personnel,have absolutely no understanding of what the permit is for?Many people I have encounteredbelieve, through "serial misinformation" (to quote our Washington State main page), that a permit is required to own a gun of any kind. If that is your misinformed belief, then it makes perfect sense to focus on the concealed carry permit. In the sheeples minds,without the permit,there is no firearm. Welcome to the irrationality of our world.