Thread: Looking for nevada laws on open carry

Post imported post

Where can I find the open carry laws for Nevada that I could copy and keep with me.so that when I do OC and anyone asks I can show them.

I am in the process of getting my CCW permitt but I still OC till that time. and would like to be ablke to show something when asked.

Post imported post

bgbdbld wrote:
    Where can I find the open carry laws for Nevada that I could copy and keep with me.so that when I do OC and anyone asks I can show them.

I am in the process of getting my CCW permitt but I still OC till that time. and would like to be ablke to show something when asked.

Nevada doesn't have laws regulating the carry, possesion or registration of firearms... unless they are specifically concealed on your person.

Look up http://www.leg.state.nv.us/74th/repo...ory.cfm?ID=260

Post imported post

Thank You for the Info.

Post imported post

There used to be an FAQ page on the AGs web site that said some things about this. The current AG has removed that page from the site. Does anyone here have a copy of that old FAQ?

Ken

Post imported post

If the law doesn't say you can't, then you can.

This is true for any action.

Post imported post

If anyone has the URL of the old AG's open carry FAQ, you can go to archive.org and use the Wayback Machine to find the version you're looking for. Then I recommend someone post the text here and we pin it up as a Nevada section FAQ that all can see...

By the way I open carry every day here in rural Washoe County (Gerlach/Empire/Black Rock Desert) and nobody turns a head.

Post imported post

FYI, here are the Nevada state laws concerning weapons.

NRS 202.x

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html

They are worth the read if you have the time...

Post imported post

wayneco wrote:
    If anyone has the URL of the old AG's open carry FAQ, you can go to archive.org and use the Wayback Machine to find the version you're looking for. Then I recommend someone post the text here and we pin it up as a Nevada section FAQ that all can see...

By the way I open carry every day here in rural Washoe County (Gerlach/Empire/Black Rock Desert) and nobody turns a head.

Thanks for the lead. I did a little scratching around and here is what I found:

http://web.archive.org/web/200602030...rryfirearm.htm

I cannot get it to paste on here.

[b][font=Verdana][color=#333366][size=2][b][font=Verdana][color=#333366][size=2]Ken

Post imported post

From that URL you just posted (interner archive wayback machine crawl of the AG site) I thought I'd just paste in the text. I never have seen an "open carry law" (laws don't allow they restrict) but I get the point.

The FAQ looks to be crawled by the wayback machine sometime in 2006 baseed on the URL.

here we go:

Attorney General FAQ's

Firearms on your person in Nevada

Can I carry a firearm on my person in Nevada?

Nevada has an open carry law that permits a person to carry a handgun in plain view, however, there are exceptions. For instance, Clark County requires you to have a registration to open carry, and you must carry your registration with you when you are carrying a gun.

Some cities such as North Las Vegas and Boulder City have "deadly weapon" laws, and you could be cited or arrested if you pass through their jurisdictions with a firearm in your vehicle.

Activist Member

Post imported post

BTW, all those local laws etc. that are mentioned above are all now void due to state pre-emption law. Clark county still requires registration, but you can be in LV for 60 days without registring, and there are no limitations on carrying your gun.

Post imported post

bgbdbld wrote:

I took the bit from the state constitution; the definition of concealed carry; the pre-emption statute; the terry stop statute; the 'brandishing' statute;and made copies of them that I keep with me.

Anybody asks--here's the state constitution; here is the CCW statute which is the only regulated method; here is the pre-emption statute so no one can say 'but my city has a different rule'; no, OC is not brandishing; and the Terry stop rules which specify the limits on the police for such a stop.

Post imported post

Loneviking wrote:
    bgbdbld wrote:

I took the bit from the state constitution; the definition of concealed carry; the pre-emption statute; the terry stop statute; the 'brandishing' statute;and made copies of them that I keep with me.

Anybody asks--here's the state constitution; here is the CCW statute which is the only regulated method; here is the pre-emption statute so no one can say 'but my city has a different rule'; no, OC is not brandishing; and the Terry stop rules which specify the limits on the police for such a stop.
    Would you be so kind as to post the info that you carry? :celebrate

Post imported post

The Constitution of the State of Nevada, Article 1, Sec. 11(1) provides that "every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes".

Then, NRS 202.350 which includes the definition of a 'concealed weapon' as:

'that is carried upon the person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation'.

The Preemption can be found by going to NRS 244.364, or 268.418, and 269.222 which were amended to state:

'Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada and no county, city nor town may infringe upon those rights and powers'.

NRS 202.320 is the statute dealing with 'drawing deadly weapon in a threatening manner'..i.e. brandishment.

NRS 171.123 is the Terry Stop provisions.

As I said, do a 'cut and paste', then print, clip, laminate or tape and always carry with you!

Post imported post

Loneviking wrote:
    The Constitution of the State of Nevada, Article 1, Sec. 11(1) provides that "every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes".

'that is carried upon the person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation'.

The Preemption can be found by going to NRS 244.364, or 268.418, and 269.222 which were amended to state:

'Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada and no county, city nor town may infringe upon those rights and powers'.

NRS 202.320 is the statute dealing with 'drawing deadly weapon in a threatening manner'..i.e. brandishment.

As I said, do a 'cut and paste', then print, clip, laminate or tape and always carry with you!
    What about private property laws?

Post imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
    Loneviking wrote:

What about private property laws?
    Any particular ones in mind? The most obvious is that the owner/tenant of a property can ask you to leave, and if you don't you can be arrested for trespass. That's well established law.

Post imported post

Loneviking wrote:

Thank you very much. :celebrate

Edit: Hey, maybe we should get some t-shirts with that info printed on them... That way the LEO's and general public don't HAVE to ask you