• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ran into an anti open carry person

xRapidDavex

imported post

I was in a gun store (ommitting name on purpose) and asked about their open carry policy. He replied that he didn't have a problem in his shop as long as you were respectful, but that open carry around town was a terrible idea - stating that you become a target for someone who specifically means to do you harm. The situation he used involved that person realizing you had a gun at that point and would hold of his attack until he was prepared.

Said he knew someone who gets harrassed by West Valley Police Dept - WVPD. Apparently the neighbors compalin about this guy a lot as he walks through the neighborhood and openly carries. The owner also said he would support the neighbors if a "disturbing the peace" charge was ever brought against the guy.

From what I've read in Mitch Vilos' book, this is a possibility for every person who openly carries.

The owner also asked me why I would risk so much to open carry, which I replied "because I can". Seems to me that a right unused is a right lost.

Don't know how you all feel about this, let's discuss!!

UTOC-45-44

imported post

xRapidDavex wrote:
I was in a gun store (ommitting name on purpose) and asked about their open carry policy. He replied that he didn't have a problem in his shop as long as you were respectful, but that open carry around town was a terrible idea - stating that you become a target for someone who specifically means to do you harm. The situation he used involved that person realizing you had a gun at that point and would hold of his attack until he was prepared.

Said he knew someone who gets harrassed by West Valley Police Dept - WVPD. Apparently the neighbors compalin about this guy a lot as he walks through the neighborhood and openly carries. The owner also said he would support the neighbors if a "disturbing the peace" charge was ever brought against the guy.

From what I've read in Mitch Vilos' book, this is a possibility for every person who openly carries.

The owner also asked me why I would risk so much to open carry, which I replied "because I can". Seems to me that a right unused is a right lost.

Don't know how you all feel about this, let's discuss!!

Let me Guess......Dougs Shooting Sports, it was either Dave or Mike that you spoke with.It was more than likely me the person referred to:lol:.

I'm pretty much the only one that OC in West Valley, as far as my neighbors....nah, they know who I am and they don't complain.

TJ

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

*sigh* I'm tired of the "tactical advantage" argument. I'm not saying it has never happened, however, I have yet to see a single news story or documented case of it happening.

xRapidDavex

imported post

haha, I should have put 2 and 2 together.... I did notice you were in WVC. So, since you busted the case wide open... ya that was the place. I figure he's entitled to his opinion, and it wasn't worth getting into it and making a scene and tension... because I generally like to shop there.

xRapidDavex

imported post

I brought it up to him that you never see the news reporting that "someone who was open carrying a firearm legally was shot and killed today", but he figured they wouldn't report that at all.

By the way, do you mean that you are sick of the "concealed is a tactical advantage" argument?

deepdiver wrote:
*sigh* I'm tired of the "tactical advantage" argument. I'm not saying it has never happened, however, I have yet to see a single news story or documented case of it happening.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

xRapidDavex wrote:
I brought it up to him that you never see the news reporting that "someone who was open carrying a firearm legally was shot and killed today", but he figured they wouldn't report that at all.

By the way, do you mean that you are sick of the "concealed is a tactical advantage" argument?

deepdiver wrote:

"Tactical Advantage":quirky.

Give me a barf bag (where is that emoticon when I need it).

TJ

xRapidDavex

imported post

Yeah.... well anywho, I'm not against open carry - but the person should look respectable to calm people (not look like a gang banger). But I WILL need to conceal carry on campus.

XD40coyote

imported post

Yeah the old " criminal will rob you of your gun" statement is plain getting old along with the "surprise advantage" crap.

Had a cop telling me all this, must be the 100th time I have heard it...

Yet the only incidents I know of withOCers being robbed, or targeted for OCing are the one guy in VA at 4 am and the others are of uniformed cops being targets BECAUSE they are uniformed cops. All the people on this board and the PAFOA board, and not 1 of you has come on and said " OMG some guy snuck up on me and stuck a gun in my ear and stole my OC gun!" or " I was at a 7/11 and some robbers came in and shot at me because they saw I was OCing". It seems most OC negative incidences are with cops heckling you due to them seeing you somewhere or people calling in "man with a gun" calls, and in some cases the cops are committing unlawful acts againstyou the OCer. I haven't read of any street criminals doing anything to OCer's except that one 4 am VA incident. I bet that guy was half asleep or something, and that is why it happened. Funny that the crimes being committed against OCers are not from gangbangers or crackheads, but by LEO's such as the Dickson City idiot cops.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I had my CCW instructor here in Nevada tell me OC was illegal in Clark County (this was 2 years ago.) I told him that was bullshit, pulled out a $100 bill and said "this is yours if you can fuckin' prove it..." I then offered to call CCW detail at the sheriff's office on speaker phone.

He told me to knock it off or he'd kick me out of the class... everyone laughed (at him, not me.)

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Really? the whole "9mm is for women or pansies" thingis an argument? I figured it would be common knowledge that it was for pansies, and not even be thought about or up for debate! :p:p:p

xRapidDavex

imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
Really? the whole "9mm is for women or pansies" thingis an argument? I figured it would be common knowledge that it was for pansies, and not even be thought about or up for debate! :p:p:p

Awwwwkwaaaaarrrd......

There's nothing against a guy using a 9mm if that's what they are comfortable with. There are pros & cons on both sides of this fence.

(I know you were probably joking, just throwing in my $0.02)

MamaLiberty

imported post

that plus the whole 9mm is for women or pansies...:cuss:

The most effective gun is the one you happen to have in your hand when you need it. I have guns of all calibers and any would be better than none, of course... but I still prefer to carry an XD .45 all the time. And I'm a 62 year old woman! :celebrate

Weak 9mm

imported post

I love the 9mm, it has great performance per dollar, practice ammo is cheap, high magazine capacity (Generally) and pretty low recoil (Although it can still be reduced further with a DPM system :lol:). With good ammo it performs very well when compared with the .40S&W and .45ACP, although many will have you believe it doesn't come close.

XD40coyote

imported post

I once knew a flamboyantgay man who owned a .38, so I must conclude that .38's are for "pansies". His dad's legal machineguns(including a class 3 EBR!) etc made up for it though LOL

Oh and being I am a woman, I guess my XD9 sub is permissible! The XD40 4" is better for OC though, but the 9 loaded with rat shot is pretty fun on barn rats. 9mm is great for varmint hunting LOL