• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ran into an anti open carry person

protector84

imported post

A 9mm is no joke. Any handgun which has the ability to stop a threat in a few or less shots is a serious gun. Weak calibers that I would consider would be the .22 for instance. I would also be hesitant about relying on a revolver as a primary carry gun and prefer it as a concealed backup. I own a 9mm gun and it is the worst kind of gun in many ways for bad guys. It is a Glock semi-automatic where a standard magazine holds 15 rounds. I own a high-capacity magazine that holds 33 rounds. I regularly carry the gun with the standard magazine in and an extra backup standard-capacity magazine totaling 30 rounds of available firepower. So should about 6-7 Mexican gang-bangers walk up to me and pull out their switchblades, they would not be receiving a liberal education filled with medication, group therapy, treatment, and hugs. Instead, they would receive a conservative education. The Glock 9mm with my assistance would shoot half of them and then the other half would now be educated.

A handgun that can fire dozens of rounds in a short period of time and can be quickly reloaded is not a "pansy" weapon.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Jesus people, it was a joke, calm down.

The best caliber isthe biggest oneyou can accurately and controllably put on target. End of discussion.

Walleye

imported post

One I recall was about the post-WWII builds of Walther P38s, which were supposedly of very poor quality.

"You get 8 warning shots and one well-aimed throw."

A little off topic, but you get the picture... ;)

SQLtables

imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
Jesus people, it was a joke, calm down.

The best caliber isthe biggest oneyou can accurately and controllably put on target. End of discussion.

Disagree.

The size of the bullet isn't even close to the only factor that should determine the "best caliber." I can easily handle .45, but I feel .40 is a better round for defense due to penetration, etc....

It's all personal preferences. I carry my 9mm quite a bit and I'd dare anybody to bet their life that it won't be effective.

XD40coyote

imported post

I almost got into the old stupid 9 vs .45 argument with one of my customers the other day! HoweverI told him about OC in PA and perhaps he should go to the Old Country Buffet in Dickson City LOL. He was very interested in OC as he has a full size HK .45, and said he hates CC, as he can't keep it from printing like crazy, and he hates subcompacts because he thinks none come in .45(I told him otherwise! Kimbers and whatnot). Oh and he is a part time sheriffs deputy, I had forgotten all about that.

I showed him my XD40 and he was almost like he was looking down on a .40, and he must have really hatedmy 9mm! I told him hardball .45's are not that great, but good quality hollowpoints are much much better. He had some weird hollowpoints, they were not jacketed and no creases on the sides to aid in opening up- very generic looking, said ww on the bottom. I showed him mygold dots, maybe he will get some of them.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
Really? the whole "9mm is for women or pansies" thingis an argument? I figured it would be common knowledge that it was for pansies, and not even be thought about or up for debate! :p:p:p
[gay with a lisp]Oh my, yes it is for all of us pansies, we just love our 9mm pistols. [/gay with a lisp]

But I like .45ACP too. ;)

And no, I'm not picking on anyone. I just love the subject. :) With no ill will to anyone, regardless what they think of my pansied weapons. :D

Lthrnck

imported post

I have to agree with White on this...

The best caliber isthe biggest oneyou can accurately put on target.

You can talk all day about caliber, penetration, knock down ability, hollow point, jacket whatever..

If you can't put it on target, you might as well use as a paper weight or like the comment on the P38... fire warning shots and throw it at them.

My wife plays World of Warcraft and they get into thisdebate about their different spells and skills they can earn for themselves or their weapons. The same debate goes on there, do I use spells and skills that increase my accuracy or do I use ones that increase my DPS (damage per second).

My wife has a simple answer for this.... If you can't hit it, you can't hurt it.

UtahRSO

imported post

I used to give that gun shop my business, but I don't go there anymore. My impression is the owners are unfriendly and the service leaves a whole bunch to be desiired. I' once stood at the counter for many minutes waiting for help, while the guy behind the counter shot the breeze with someone.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Chris Byrd, in the 4th edition of "The Concealed Handgun Manual," on page 117, quotes Bill Davison, owner of Tac Pro Shooting Center in Texas and ex-Royal Marine SBS guy, as saying, "I have never had someone not die because I shot them with a nine mil. They all died immediately."

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
"Tactical Advantage":quirky.

Give me a barf bag (where is that emoticon when I need it).

TJ

spew.gif

barf.gif

I line the second one better. We definitely need more emoticons.

spyderdude

imported post

I remember a couple guys working the gun counter at Sportsmans Warehouse told me they wouldn't carry anything but .45 ACP and 10mm. When I told them what I carry (Glock 19) they told me that 9mm is too weak for defense and that I should reconsider. I asked them if they'd be willing to take a couple 124 gr. HSTs to the chest, and of course they said no.

Then I reminded them that the gunman at VA Tech used a Glock 19 and Walther P22 to kill 32 innocent people, that shut them up real quick.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

spyderdude wrote:
I remember a couple guys working the gun counter at Sportsmans Warehouse told me they wouldn't carry anything but .45 ACP and 10mm. When I told them what I carry (Glock 19) they told me that 9mm is too weak for defense and that I should reconsider. I asked them if they'd be willing to take a couple 124 gr. HSTs to the chest, and of course they said no.

Then I reminded them that the gunman at VA Tech used a Glock 19 and Walther P22 to kill 32 innocent people, that shut them up real quick.

There's nothing that can stand up to logic. :celebrate

Even a .22 can kill.