• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Steve Corbett attacks Dickson Dozen; says they would be shot on site in Philly

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://wilknetwork.com/Pack-More-Bra...epower/2186256

class=Box_22658898_HeadlinePack More Brainpower And Less Firepower

class=Box_22658898_BylineSteve Corbett Reporting
corbett@wilknewsradio.com

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Pistol-packing pals recently bellied up to the buffet table at a Dickson City restaurant to make a pistol-packing point.

This was no chicken wing eating contest.

If these boys – and some women, too – wanted to, they could do more than merely wing an assailant who stumbled into this fine eating establishment intent on doing the same deadly damage as cholesterol does.

These buffet buckaroos could plant an outlaw once and for all in a fuselage of lead and bury the bandito firmly in the far end of the salad bar.

Proponents of what is known as the OC or the open carry of loaded firearms seem more intent on publicly making their point that the practice, however showy, is perfectly legal in Pennsylvania.

Unless, of course, you are openly carrying your pistol in Philadelphia, where one caller to “Corbett” yesterday said cops frown on the practice and have made it known that they might very well shoot first and ask questions later.

Edgy trigger fingers remain an issue in Philly, where the most recent city cop to die fell under a hail of fire from an assault rifle.

But the rest of the state has nothing to fear when it comes to open carry advocates who made a public display out of their hobby – excuse me, their Second Amendment right – to tote big firepower while taking the family out for a nice dinner at a hometown buffet.

Friday night’s event in Dickson City brought men, women and children to the buffet table.

The children were not armed.

The right to publicly pack heat is only available to those who are 18 and older. Then, carrying a gun in the open to a buffet restaurant can be fun for the entire family.

Gramps can pack a loaded pistol on a replaced hip. Grandma can wear one over her Sunday-go-to-meeting dress. Junior can strap on a couple of heaters instead of joining the Army and heading to Afghanistan where Taliban kids have likely been packing for years.

But somebody spoiled the party on Friday night and called 911.

Police arrived at the restaurant and confusion reigned.
As it turns out, gun owners apparently are indeed free to wear loaded guns in public.

But most cops don’t like it and neither do I.

Society is making a paranoid spectacle of itself.

Buffet table regulars have a greater chance of dying of a heart attack and obesity-related disease than they do from an assailant’s bullets fired across a steam table loaded with chicken-fried steak gravy and biscuits.

Because state law does not prohibit the practice, advocates say open carry is legal. That can change, but it won’t. Lawmakers are petrified of the armed gravy and biscuits crowd.

Even U.S. Sen. Bob Casey fears gun owners and won’t take a hard line against assault rifles, dismissing pleas for help from fellow Democrats Gov. Ed Rendell and Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, who want a renewed federal assault rifle ban.

Pro-life Casey does, however, favor the death penalty for certain heinous crimes.

That’s great news for the children of the latest dead Philly cop. Maybe Casey will even present them with a folded American flag that flew over the Capitol on the day daddy died.

Maybe he can get them front row seats at the next cop killer execution.

Better yet, maybe he can show some real leadership and courage under fire.

Casey and other lawmakers must realize that regular death and destruction comes from the barrel of a gun.

We need fewer displays of firepower and more displays of brainpower.

Lawmakers worry more about losing the next election than about losing more lives on the streets of America. Lawmakers concern themselves more with their own political survival than with the survival of victims gunned down on a regular basis.

I have two suggestions until lawmakers come to their senses: If you see someone wearing a handgun in public, call 911. And if you own a restaurant or any other private business, ban all guns from the premises.

Using your head is always better than using your trigger finger.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

My e-mail to Steve Corbett:

Mr. Corbett:

Do you research anything before you spout your opinion?

You wrote: "I have two suggestions until lawmakers come to their senses: If you see someone wearing a handgun in public, call 911. And if you own a restaurant or any other private business, ban all guns from the premises."

Concerning the first suggestion, wearing a handgun in public is perfectly legal, throughout the Commonwealth. Are you suggesting people call the police when no crime is evident? Wouldn't that be a waste of police manpower, which certainly could be used elsewhere? And what, exactly would you have the police do in response to such a call? The Pennsylvania Supreme Court, in Commonwealth v. Hawkins, stated that the open carrying of a firearm is not sufficient cause for a police stop. Should the police stop, and harass the person wearing the handgun, they would then be guilty of Abuse of Office under the color of law - see Section 5301 of the Crimes Code.

Concerning the second suggestion, how would you suggest banning guns from the premises? A sign? First, it has no legal standing. And second, it sure isn't going to stop a criminal. Gun bans don't work! Asking the lawful, firearm-carrying potential customer to leave? Turning away business is always a good move, especially for the bottom line.

So, in wrap-up, you want people to call the police unnecessarily, you want the police to commit criminal acts, and you want businesspeople to turn away customers.

No thanks. I'm glad I'm in Westylvania, where common sense still reigns. Keep your fear of inanimate objects. Some day, hopefully not soon, you just might wish you had one with which to defend yourself.

Henry Statkowski
Cherry Tree, Pa.

scarletwahoo

imported post

Guess it's better if I post my letter here. I was very annoyed by his lack of professionalism, he mearly made offensive stereotypical comments and used fear as a vehicle for his personal adgenda. Propaganda at it's best.

Steve Corbett,

I am a supporter of first amendment, just as I am a supporter of the entire bill of rights. You're article stuck me as juvenile, offensive, and lacking of any supporting facts or statistics. It would help to update your article answering these questions, "How has banning assault rifles been proven to reduce the number of violent gun crimes?", "How many of the violent gun crimes committed are done so with legally owned firearms?", and "Is there any statistically significant correlation between open carry of a firearm and violent crime?". My current state of residence, VA, allows open and concealed carry and has less than half the violent crime per capita as my old state of residence, NJ (which effectively has neither open nor concealed carry and an assault weapons ban). Oddly enough, my apartment was robbed by men with guns in NJ, while I was living in a 'gun free' zone.

I also find it sickening in the idea that you are exploiting the death of the Philadelphia cop to scare people into supporting your beliefs. I doubt an assault rifle ban would have stopped the criminal from acquiring such a weapon. Any similarly biased pro-gun article could quote the famous /Warren vs. District of Columbia/ case where 3 women were raped for 14 hours in their own apartment in DC. They called 911, but when police failed to respond, the city defended itself stating, "A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." DC is a gun-free zone.

The parts of the article that offended me (besides the condescending title of the article) were the personal attacks and stereotyping of gun owners. You stereotyped gun owners as bumbling redneck idiots. I myself am a gun owner, hold an engineering degree, and am currently working towards a graduate degree in engineering; I fit your description exactly. Anyone with common sense can see the right to bear arms is protected by the bill of rights and the same is true for your right to free speech. How would you feel if the government only allowed free speech after obtaining a permit and obeying guidelines?

I will agree that both store and restaurant owners have the right to ban firearms, and should do so if they feel the need. If you do not like guns, you can go to those places, and I will go to the others. After Virginia Tech, Delaware State, Northern Illinois, and the other recent school shootings, I learned how safe gun free zones realy are.

I enjoy reading a good article counter to my personal beliefs and actually learning from other view points is how I found some of my beliefs. If you ever write an article without stereotyping, fear mongering, and full of supporting facts, I'd love to read it.

For the record, I have a permit for concealed carry of a handgun and live in a state that permits open carry; personally I rarely carry a handgun openly or concealed. I might just start open carrying now, since you encourage people to call 911 and the police. An unlawful detention happened once in my state for the open carrying of a firearm and it resulted in a 6 months suspension (3 of which were unpaid) and being sent back to the academy for 6 months of remedial training. That sounds like a fitting punishment for the police of Dickson City.

sccrref

imported post

Well thought out and right on point. It is obvious that he does not research anything and tries to get by on the shock value. It is amazing what the light of facts can do.

imperialism2024

imported post

Did the original article have a point? Or was it just a compilation of name-calling and cliches? 'Cause it's lookin' like the case of the latter... I think this guy is a disgrace to the anti-gunners due to his lack of journalistic skill. At least articles from the Brady campaign and thier ilk have some substance to them. Wrong substance, mind you, but substance nonetheless.

Phssthpok

imported post

These buffet buckaroos could plant an outlaw once and for all in a fuselage of lead and bury the bandito firmly in the far end of the salad bar.
Any 'reporter' who doesn't know the difference between a fuselage and a fusillade needs to get off his high horse and go back to school.

And some of his sentence structure... OY!:uhoh:

tarzan1888

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Any 'reporter' who doesn't know the difference between a fuselage and a fusillade needs to get off his high horse and go back to school.

Great catch.

He knows as much about writing and word meaning as he does about guns and the second amendment.

Tarzan

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Phssthpok wrote:

EXCELLENT catch. I just skimmed it when it was first posted and entirely missed that. Upon reading thoroughly I agree with you. He writes like an 8th grader at best.

ne1

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:

At least he spelled it right.A little gem found on another site:

My New Spell Checker

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

-Sauce unknown

KAHR54

imported post

Corbett talks like he writes. If you've ever been to Northeast PA and heard the Scranton area natives speak what they call the 'Coal Cracker' dialect, Corbett talks like dat inna real gruff soundin' voice.

Corbett comes from afamily of policemen- his dad and I think an uncle or two were/are PA State Police. I guess you can probably find as many policemen who are against armed citizens as those who are in favor of law abiding citizens protecting themselves and their loved ones with a firearm.

Corbett has a talk show between 3pm and 7pm ET on radio station WILK, which is broadcast over the net. His show is sandwiched between Rush and Mike Savage.:D

Years ago Corbett was a hack writer for the Wilkes-Barre newspaper and wrote about selling his 9mm pistol, because guns are bad, don't you know. Besides, he is a martial arts master. I wrote to him and asked how he could sell a gun for money. And how was he to know that HIS gun wouldn't fall into the hands of a bad guy and HIS gun might be used to injure an innocent. I offered to take his gun and destroy it for him, free of charge, but he said he was going to buy himself a dress !! I started to wonder about that sitting down observation from an earlier post. He said it was a martial arts costume. I guess it has the ability to deflect bullets, hence no need for the pistol. And I guessthe money was more important to him than his fears about people running around with malevolent 9mm pistols making them wound and kill.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So because Steve Corbett is an admitted danger to society, irresponsible gun owner and general jerk, we should all have to follow new rules because he was unable to be a responsible gun owner? What a dickhead!

imperialism2024

imported post

I mean, my biggest criticism is Corbett's utter lack of writing skills. My freshman year (of high school) English class could, any day of the week, produce writing that better conveys the intended message. What he writes, from the examples I have seen regarding gun control, is a mish-mash of over-emotional imagery and name-calling. While the garbage that he spews onto the paper may be sufficient to reverberate with Americans' over-active emotions, it ultimately shows poor discipline in writing. I would feel shame if I posted something in this forum that utilized his abuse of the English language.

I have no problem with people who disagree with my opinion on guns and gun control, but in order to have that conversation, the arguments must be well presented. As I posted earlier in this thread, I have read many anti-gun pieces that were very well written, and I have seen anti-gun positions arged very well by very intelligent people. However, by the time you strip away all of the informal logical fallacies from Corbett's writing, all that is left is a disorganized outline of talking points, and that's being generous.

Edited to add the last sentence of paragraph 1.