• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm Fat and need a conceal holster

xRapidDavex

imported post

I need some help from the husky forum members. I'm 6' 3" and have a really big gut... what are my options?

I was looking at www.smartcarry.com and ordered a holster. I got it but I feel like I can't draw from it very fast and I'll be fumbling around in a dire situation. And if the guy is attacking me, I would need 2 hands to reach the firearm... not the best of options.

I'm trying to conceal a full size springfield 1911.

Samuel Adams

imported post

xRapidDavex wrote:
I need some help from the husky forum members. I'm 6' 3" and have a really big gut... what are my options?

I was looking at http://www.smartcarry.com and ordered a holster. I got it but I feel like I can't draw from it very fast and I'll be fumbling around in a dire situation. And if the guy is attacking me, I would need 2 hands to reach the firearm... not the best of options.

I hope the Mods forgive me for making reference to another forum but this topic has been discussed at length here...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=361638&highlight=fat

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I and my... husky... friends all enjoy our comp-tacs. (some of them lurch on here so I have to be nice). I liked the concealment of the smart carry, but I always thought my gut would just cover it. I can draw from the comp-tac very easily and I carry a full size Glock 21, and a friend of mine carries a 1911.

This is the one my friends use: http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/pro...id=95&osCsid=7589b8c7fbf10c050348b7f29c382887

And heres the el-chepo model of the same thing if you're like me -- cheap and poor: http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/pro...d=102&osCsid=7589b8c7fbf10c050348b7f29c382887

Personally, I see no difference between the cheap model except that it doesn't look as nice.

xRapidDavex

imported post

asforme, I am VERY overweight and have love handles and a gut :(

I JUST found this holster you mentioned by looking on youtube. Do you feel that it digs in your side? I would love to speak a little with your friend who carries the 1911.

Thanks for any info.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just FYI, the Glock 21 is near the same length and height of the 1911, but about 1.5 times as wide. The minotaur can be adjusted for height and cant, so I have it just one notch below the highest ride possible. That way the handle is not covered by my love handles. Being in waste band holds it nice and tight to the body so it's well concealed, but the big advantage is the leather backing that keeps the gun from digging into my side (and protects the gun from my sweat). I wear mine about 4 o'clock, and my friend with the 1911, wears his at 5.

Because it is so customizable, it is at first a bit of pain to find the perfect spot, but once you do I think you will be very happy with it.

This may sound crazy to some, but I almost find the comp-tac more comfortable than OCing. I currently OC in an uncle mikes sidekick which puts all the weight of the gun on my belt in one spot. The comp-tac, on the other hand, holds close to my body and spreads the weight of the gun over an area of the belt wider than the gun itself. I suppose the only thing more comfortable would be a pancake holster that spreads the weight out but OWB.

As far as printing goes, I don't think you'll have to worry. That is the advantage of being fat: having enough width for a full sized girp to rest along without sticking out and printing. Especially true of the single stack 1911. I think I've covered everything, if you have any more specific questions let me know.

I really can't recommend it enough for concealing. Also the folks who make them are really nice, they include a nice hand written "thanks for your business" note and a couple packs of candy with the holster.
:celebrate

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

xRapidDavex wrote:

I was looking at http://www.smartcarry.com and ordered a holster. I got it but I feel like I can't draw from it very fast and I'll be fumbling around in a dire situation. And if the guy is attacking me, I would need 2 hands to reach the firearm... not the best of options.

My cousin is 6'3" and 275lbs and he carries with a Comp-tac Infidel IWB... if you are bigger than that, then you need a shoulder or thigh rig... or a harpoon :celebrate

xRapidDavex

imported post

I think I solved my holster problems for concealed carry.

First great thing I did was buy a smaller size gun. Then went down to Doug's and they pointed me towards a Galco Ultra Second Amendment IWB holster. I have to wear it at 4:00 - 4:30 on my waist so it doesn't dig into my gut, but I'm hoping this is the solution for me.

Gets the gun way down into my pants to eliminate printing of the grip. The holster was originally made for a glock 26, but fits my Sig 239 beautifully

FYI, they are all good guys down there but the person who sold me this holster + gun is named Cary - and I am forever in his debt with his patience.

Attachments

• Photo 41.jpg
    Photo 41.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 169

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

xRapidDavex wrote:
I think I solved my holster problems for concealed carry. 

First great thing I did was buy a smaller size gun.  Then went down to Doug's and they pointed me towards a Galco Ultra Second Amendment IWB holster.  I have to wear it at 4:00 - 4:30 on my waist so it doesn't dig into my gut, but I'm hoping this is the solution for me.

Gets the gun way down into my pants to eliminate printing of the grip.  The holster was originally made for a glock 26, but fits my Sig 239 beautifully

FYI, they are all good guys down there but the person who sold me this holster + gun is named Cary - and I am forever in his debt with his patience.

Wait... Explain again why you bought a CONCEALED carry holster!!!!!!:cuss::cuss:

Just messing with you man.. Hope it works out good for you.

xRapidDavex

imported post

Hhahaha yeah I guess its kinda odd posting that on a site called opencarry.org.

The main reason I'm going to be concealing is for when I'm in class.