• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio House Approves Castle Doctrine

Samuel Adams

imported post

May 28, 2008

Buckeye Firearms Association applauds the Ohio House of Representative’s 73-23 vote to pass the amended SB184.

SB184 passed the Ohio Senate in April with a 31-0 vote and has now passed the Ohio House in an amended form to include technical corrections and improve laws for law-abiding gun owners in Ohio.

SB184 is now headed back to the Ohio Senate where final approval is expected before summer recess. Once the amended bill is approved in the Senate, it will then go to Governor Strickland who stated, “I am proud to support this important legislation that protects gun owners throughout the state of Ohio. I look forward to signing these common sense protections into law.”

SB184, also known as Castle Doctrine, was originally introduced to protect crime victims and restore the presumption of innocence to those forced to act in self-defense.

The amended version contains technical corrections and improvements including:

• Clarification on how persons without a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) can legally transport firearms in an automobile
  • Allows lawful concealed carry in your home without a Concealed Handgun License (CHL)
  • Clarifies an unloaded firearm as one with no ammunition in the firearm or in magazines or speedloaders, regardless of where else ammunition is stored
  • Allows lawful Concealed Carry in retail establishments with a class D6/D8 liquor license (package sales only, not bars/restaurants)
  • Allows pick up/drop off by CHL holders in school safety zones
  • Provides for mandatory legal fees for gun owners who require court orders to have firearms returned to them.
  • Allows lawful Concealed Carry in state owned shelters, restrooms and parking garages.
  • Decriminalizes Concealed Carry in privately owned parking garages.
  • Prohibits landlords from prohibiting tenants from owning/carrying firearms
  • Allows CHL holders to carry firearm in unlocked glove compartment or center console.
  • Expunged/Sealed records are no longer considered when applying for a CHL.
  • Written test is no longer required for competency renewal of CHL
Further details are available on our web site at http://www.BuckeyeFirearms.org