• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on TriMet a Bad Idea?

kingmonkey

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey everyone. I'm going to be moving from Texas to Oregon in a few months and have a question about open carrying in your state (Texans can't open carry so I'm new to this). I read one post were someone was carrying on TriMet and got arrested but apparently it wasn't because of the guns but some stupid "wiretapping" law. Is carrying on TriMet usually a hassel or do most of you have no problem doing it? I've lived in Portland before but never carried and when I move back I wont have a vehicle of my own so I'll have to ride the bus and Max but that post made me a little nervous about it. I don't care about getting arrested I just don't want my CHL pulled when I get one in Oregon because it could make it difficult to get one in another state if I should move again.

Overall what are your experiences OC on TriMet? Is there anything I should know to protect myself against harassment if it should ever happen?

Thanks!

jamesb3002

imported post

Technically it is legal but in the major cities such as Portland and Beaverton to open carry a loaded gun you have to have a CHL.

Tri-met tries to ban weapons on thier system but being public transportation it is totally legal if you have your CHL.

I know a few people around here who carry openly on MAX on a regular basis and have no problems.

The main problems you will have to deal with are the other passengers commenting and wanting to get into a argument about the legalities of open carry.

I have not OCd on MAX myself yet.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

You should expect to be accused of breaking other lawsso they canremove you from the transit system.

You have a handgun and every on can see it. That could scare someone.

Don't attempt to record any interrogation you may recieve regarding "why you have a gun." w/o gaining consent from the other party /police as you willget convicted of "stealing" those conversations.

If you have a CHL they will try and take it away.

Have a lawyer on your fave 5.

Attachments

• max_service.jpg
    max_service.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 435

NaT805

Opt-Out Members
imported post

SetivaSicWood wrote:
Personally I think it's a "nessary evil" to blunt Tri Mets "policies" that attempt to thrump state law. Tri Met is publicly funded and thus you can not be excluded from partaking in your constutional right to protect yourself with a fire arm; on your person.

The rub is you should expect to be accused of breaking other lawsso they canremove you from the transit system. Remember you have a handgun and every on can see it. That could scare someone.

But hey, if you follow the suggestionsof Tri Met security personal and "cover it up" and lets say..... you don't have a CHL. Then they could tell the police they saw a weapon on you and you get arrested for a having concealed weapon At least your not on the train scaring people any more. Yay Tri Met.

I say... OC in plubic and don't budge when asked to hide it. With a CHL carry loaded. Without a CHL carry your hammer proudly as if it were loaded. On private property obey the wishes of the property owner. If they don't lke guns, don't spend your money there.

Tri Met likes our money, we should all ride the train w/ guns displayed.My gut feeling is the crime would evaporate and riding the train might bea good experience for a change.

+1

grishnav

imported post

Couple quick things --

Consent is better, but Oregon law only requires you to give notification that a recording is taking place. If you say, "I'm required by law to let you know that I'm obtaining audio" and the cop says "I don't consent," well, they don't really have to consent... and stopping you from taping would be a violation of 1A, deprevation of rights under color of law, prior restraint, etc. etc. Just tell them that you are recording persuant to ORS 165.540(1)(c), which makes recording a law enforcement officer lawful. When they look it up and say that it requires that you notify them, you'll say, "Ah, but I did, remember? That's how you found out I was doing it!"

You don't need a CHL to carry on Trimet -- Oregon law gives municipal districts no authority whatsoever to regulate firearms. They only extend some limited authority to cities and counties. There is some debate as to whether or not you need a CHL to carry loaded in Portland (or other banned cities) while on Trimet, since you're technically not in the city but rather on District land. For now, play it safe, and unload before you cross into banned city borders unless you have a CHL.

Trimet has a policy (law, actually) banning weapons that are carried in a "manner that warrants alarm to staff or passengers" -- or something like that. This law is void under Oregon law, but they will still try to enforce it. Looking at how they've done things in Washington, I'm not entirely sure that flaunting the violation and/or dealing with the "street level" cops and security was or is the right approach to getting this overturned. After my vacation, I'm going to put together some money to have my attorney (or possibly OFF's attorney) write a letter to Trimet asking them to recind the law. Letterhead seems to go a long way. Problem is, until I have my charge dismissed and my record sealed, I don't have "moral authority" to be making such demands of Trimet, so I might be stuck actually getting the letter done until the end of June/beginning of July. If you choose to carry on Trimet, I advise you keep a copy of the laws handy -- both pre-emption and recording -- as well as recording case law, a copy of the trimet policy, a voice recorder, and a whole lot of professionalism and salesmanship. If you don't have an OR CHL, bonus points for keeping a copy of the coercion law with you and pointing out that they are committing a crime by asking you to cover up.:) I think coercion is even like a C felony in OR. :shock:

I have OC'd on the max many, many times. Of that, I've only had two incidents: 1 was an anti that wanted to start a fight (ignored him, he went away), another was the arrest. I'm not sure what I did differently the day I got arrested, but I'd suggest that whatever it is, you don't do it. :)

Do be especially aware of anti's on the max. They will try to pick a fight with you, and I imagine some of them are stupid enough to go physical. My best advice is to ignore them. They usually go away.

If you get arrested (unlikely, but if you're seriously considering OCing in the bleeding liberal heart of Oregon, you gotta be prepared for it), for the love of God, go watch the presentation on the fifth amendment found elsewhere on this forum, and don't make the same mistakes we did. It's best to talk to police as little as possible. If I hadn't told them I was recording, I wouldn't have gone to jail. If I hadn't told them where my "voice recorder" was, the charges would have been dropped immediately, and I'd still have my MP3 player (because none of them suspected the innocent little MP3 player until I made the mistake of cooperating :). On one hand, I came out looking a little better in the officers report because I cooperated. On the other hand, I still got charged and had to defend myself.

My personal plan is to inform them they're being recorded (because of being compelled by law), and cough up my ID if asked (because, sadly, they can detain me to investigate my ID persuant to an RAS investigation of a violation, but there is no corrosponding law which forces them to tell me if I'm being investigated, so I can never know for sure whether or not it's required to give them ID at any particular time), and not really say anything else. I'm not going to argue law with them. If they want to kick me off the Max, I'll leave, and then file a lawsuit. Especially if we've gotten the ordinance overturned and a training bulliten issued by then.

Oh, and you have access to an important tool that I didn't have that day: the Oregon pamphlet. Print that out and keep a few with ya. :)