Thread: Carrying a silencer through California

Post imported post

I am planning a motorcycle trip to Arizona and I want to bring A couple of silencers along. I am planning on traveling through California and I need to know if California is like other states that allow free through travel if your gun is legal where you are coming from and legal where you are going.

Post imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
    I am planning a motorcycle trip to Arizona and I want to bring A couple of silencers along. I am planning on traveling through California and I need to know if California is like other states that allow free through travel if your gun is legal where you are coming from and legal where you are going.
    California Penal Code 12520. Any person, firm, or corporation who within this state possesses a silencer is guilty of a felony and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison or by a fine not to exceed ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or by both.

Since a silencer is not considered a "firearm", then U.S. Code Title 18, Part 1, Chap 44, does not apply.

If you get caught with any silencer while in California, expect to be staying in California for a period of several years.

Post imported post

If legal, perhaps UPS it to yourself in AZ. Or take the long route around CA.

State Researcher

Post imported post

cato wrote:
    If legal, perhaps UPS it to yourself in AZ. Or take the long route around CA.
    +1. Avoid this state.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
    Californias motto is "Come for Vacation, Leave on Probation"

you couldn't pay me to step foot in that state.

Post imported post

Unless you're an 07/SOT, you can't bring a can through Kali. Send them to your house through the mail. What cans do you have?

Post imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
    Silencers are not banned by the federal government and 35 states allow civilians to own them but they require BATFE authorization to own. No license or permit is required; just fill out the ATF form 4 (to buy) or ATF from 1 (to make) and get the local sheriff to sign it. Send it in with finger print cards, passport photos and the $200 tax check. Approval is routine (takes 1-2 months) and I have never heard of the ATF disapproving a transfer as long as the forms were filled out correctly.

That being said, my advise is not to carry a silencer interstate under any conditions through the Peoples Demokratik Republik of Kalifornia.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
    Silencers are not banned by the federal government and 35 states allow civilians to own them but they require BATFE authorization to own. No license or permit is required; just fill out the ATF form 4 (to buy) or ATF from 1 (to make) and get the local sheriff to sign it. Send it in with finger print cards, passport photos and the $200 tax check. Approval is routine (takes 1-2 months) and I have never heard of the ATF disapproving a transfer as long as the forms were filled out correctly.

What is your purposein telling me this?
    I was not asking how to get a silencer, I already own six of them. Of course they are all legal and I did the paperwork on all of them, got that down pat.

Otherwise, thanks for the advise I guess I will look into UPS'ing them to myself.

Post imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
    Agent 47 wrote:

That being said, my advise is not to carry a silencer interstate under any conditions through the Peoples Demokratik Republik of Kalifornia.
    Well, obviously since Agent47 was planning on bringing a couple of silencers along with him, it would be a reasonable assumption that he already has a couple of silencers.

And since he has already been informed that California Penal Code Section 12520 makes possession of a silencer a FELONY, I highly doubt that he would be carrying one through the state.

Post imported post

double tap

Post imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
    Gunslinger wrote:

What is your purposein telling me this?
    I was not asking how to get a silencer, I already own six of them. Of course they are all legal and I did the paperwork on all of them, got that down pat.

Otherwise, thanks for the advise I guess I will look into UPS'ing them to myself.
    My 'purpose' was to pass on information you may not have been aware of under Federal Law. As you are evidently aware of it, take it for what it was intended.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
    This is the Republic of Kalifornia! We're lucky that we can even own guns here. If LE finds out that you ave silencers, you're going away for awhile.

Good luck!