• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying a silencer through California

Agent 47

imported post

I am planning a motorcycle trip to Arizona and I want to bring A couple of silencers along. I am planning on traveling through California and I need to know if California is like other states that allow free through travel if your gun is legal where you are coming from and legal where you are going.

Decoligny

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
I am planning a motorcycle trip to Arizona and I want to bring A couple of silencers along. I am planning on traveling through California and I need to know if California is like other states that allow free through travel if your gun is legal where you are coming from and legal where you are going.

California Penal Code 12520. Any person, firm, or corporation who within this state possesses a silencer is guilty of a felony and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison or by a fine not to exceed ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or by both.

Since a silencer is not considered a "firearm", then U.S. Code Title 18, Part 1, Chap 44, does not apply.

If you get caught with any silencer while in California, expect to be staying in California for a period of several years.

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
Californias motto is "Come for Vacation, Leave on Probation"

you couldn't pay me to step foot in that state.

Paco Ramirez

imported post

Unless you're an 07/SOT, you can't bring a can through Kali. Send them to your house through the mail. What cans do you have?

Gunslinger

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:

Silencers are not banned by the federal government and 35 states allow civilians to own them but they require BATFE authorization to own. No license or permit is required; just fill out the ATF form 4 (to buy) or ATF from 1 (to make) and get the local sheriff to sign it. Send it in with finger print cards, passport photos and the $200 tax check. Approval is routine (takes 1-2 months) and I have never heard of the ATF disapproving a transfer as long as the forms were filled out correctly.

That being said, my advise is not to carry a silencer interstate under any conditions through the Peoples Demokratik Republik of Kalifornia.

Agent 47

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Silencers are not banned by the federal government and 35 states allow civilians to own them but they require BATFE authorization to own. No license or permit is required; just fill out the ATF form 4 (to buy) or ATF from 1 (to make) and get the local sheriff to sign it. Send it in with finger print cards, passport photos and the $200 tax check. Approval is routine (takes 1-2 months) and I have never heard of the ATF disapproving a transfer as long as the forms were filled out correctly.

What is your purposein telling me this?
I was not asking how to get a silencer, I already own six of them. Of course they are all legal and I did the paperwork on all of them, got that down pat.

Otherwise, thanks for the advise I guess I will look into UPS'ing them to myself.

Decoligny

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Agent 47 wrote:

That being said, my advise is not to carry a silencer interstate under any conditions through the Peoples Demokratik Republik of Kalifornia.
Well, obviously since Agent47 was planning on bringing a couple of silencers along with him, it would be a reasonable assumption that he already has a couple of silencers.

And since he has already been informed that California Penal Code Section 12520 makes possession of a silencer a FELONY, I highly doubt that he would be carrying one through the state.

Gunslinger

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

What is your purposein telling me this?
I was not asking how to get a silencer, I already own six of them. Of course they are all legal and I did the paperwork on all of them, got that down pat.

Otherwise, thanks for the advise I guess I will look into UPS'ing them to myself.
My 'purpose' was to pass on information you may not have been aware of under Federal Law. As you are evidently aware of it, take it for what it was intended.

calmp9

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
This is the Republic of Kalifornia! We're lucky that we can even own guns here. If LE finds out that you ave silencers, you're going away for awhile.

Good luck!