• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fox 13 poll

xRapidDavex

imported post

I have been reading lately about discussions relating to how the public view "open carry". I was wondering if we should contact a news agency and ask them to hold a poll to see what most Utahns think.

We could also provide some facts for the news agency to report before they mention that there is a poll. We could also perhaps mention that we are considering an adopt a highway project and invite people to come to one of our dinners.

ScottyT

imported post

I think that hearing about it on the news and seeing it in person are two VERY different things for most people.

If someone hears about guys carrying guns around town on TV, they will freak -- but if someone sees a guy with a gun who is shopping for vegetables or having a nice dinner with his family, the reaction would probably be different.

I think the best way to get exposure is talking other people into OCing and getting out and about while openly strapped every day!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
I think that hearing about it on the news and seeing it in person are two VERY different things for most people.

If someone hears about guys carrying guns around town on TV, they will freak -- but if someone sees a guy with a gun who is shopping for vegetables or having a nice dinner with his family, the reaction would probably be different.

I think the best way to get exposure is talking other people into OCing and getting out and about while openly strapped every day!

I'm sure the"Dickson Dozen" will agree on this.:uhoh:

I agree.:)

Outsider

imported post

I agree as well. Best to do it ourselves because the news will twist it in the end just like they do the Iraq War.

GeneticsDave

imported post

xRapidDavex wrote:
**Cowers in the corner Dejected**

:?
I believe your intentions are good, but the media is not our ally. It would be interesting, no doubt, to see what most Utahns think about OC, but the media will not present an impartial medium through which to gauge a result. You will find that the majority of responses will be from close-minded liberals who read the liberal newspapers - subscribing to their every thought and assertion without question. You will also have a minority of activist gun owners who try to "make their point" in favor of what OC really is and why it is legal. None of these comments will give you a good idea of what the "majority" thinks or feels.

I would suggest continued exposure and education as the best methods we have (besides public service announcements) to promote positive reception regarding OC. My two cents.

Outsider

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
xRapidDavex wrote:
**Cowers in the corner Dejected**

:?
I believe your intentions are good, but the media is not our ally. It would be interesting, no doubt, to see what most Utahns think about OC, but the media will not present an impartial medium through which to gauge a result. You will find that the majority of responses will be from close-minded liberals who read the liberal newspapers - subscribing to their every thought and assertion without question. You will also have a minority of activist gun owners who try to "make their point" in favor of what OC really is and why it is legal. None of these comments will give you a good idea of what the "majority" thinks or feels.

I would suggest continued exposure and education as the best methods we have (besides public service announcements) to promote positive reception regarding OC. My two cents.

I believe Front Sight's DVD said it the best, really just repeating what everyone else says: (summary) We can change the image and prospective of guns in the United States by becoming positive influences in our community. By word of mouth from you to your friends and to their friends and to their friends we can change the way Americans view guns.

Well, something like that. I think with the I-15 Service Project, OC meets, and other activities like handing out UCC business cards where we can make the public aware of what guns really are, a right to carry and a protection for self, family, and others, then we'll be a lot better in our efforts.

And Rapid, it was a very good idea and keep them coming. We need fresh views, right, Dave and TJ?