• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age to transfer ownership/ open carry?

MechaCzech

imported post

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I've searched quite a bit and can't find a definitive answer, in forums or the Code. I would assume to OC, the firearm in question would need to be in my name. I'm 19, and I would like to start OCing my 1911, but it's in my dad's name. Is it possible to transfer ownership of the gun to myself? Even if I can, would I be allowed to open carry? (OC unloaded, of course ;)) Thanks for the help, and please share experiences with me! So far the stories I've read have been very encouraging. Thanks.

-David

awesomeness

imported post

You have to be 21 tobuy a handgun unless its a interfamily transfer then you can be 18. First get a HSC card and then go look at the DOJ site for the interfamily transfer paper, pay the fee and do all the other stuff needed. Also since you are about my age in order for you to get ammo your dad has to buy it for you thanks to the gun laws. Now regarding open carry, if you legally own the handgun and are not doing anything illegal you should be fine, but remember that is my opinion and always double check the laws. Now carrying handgun ammo maybe another question that i can't answer. Does the gun need to be in your name? Good question.Also calguns.net is very good with these question IMHO.