• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Young Lawyers invite in Fairfax City

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

http://oxroadsouth.com/2008/05/29/young-lawyers-event-tonight.aspx

Young Lawyers Event tonight

Tonight is our annual Young Lawyers event at the Hard Times in Fairfax City, directly across the street from the courthouse. It's from 5:30-7:30 pm. Crowds in past years have ranged from 50 to 250. Everyone is welcome and there is no charge for admission.

I know that several of our 11th District Congressional candidates will be there. In addition, there will belocal officials and candidates for statewide office in 2009. You can come and mix with them. Ask them about their vision for this great state.

What's with the name?

When I ran for the House in 2001, I asked my friends Sandy Thomas and Scott Surovell to help me with a fundraiser in the legal community. We knew that the senior partners and lobbyists would not supporta challenger. So I figured we'd advertise the event to "the young lawyers" we knew.

We picked a host committee, sent out the invites and reserved a small room at a localrestaurant. My sole goal for the event was to avoid total embarassment.

Amazingly, the room was packed and the party rocked til late in the night. We went on to win the election and "Young Lawyers" became an annual staple with bands, speeches and (occasionally) donations.

The event is not limited to lawyers, young people or Democrats. It's open to anyone who enjoys Virginia politics or a cold beer. Or both.

Hope to see you tonight.

[line]

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
http://oxroadsouth.com/2008/05/29/young-lawyers-event-tonight.aspx

Young Lawyers Event tonight

Tonight is our annual Young Lawyers event at the Hard Times in Fairfax City, directly across the street from the courthouse. It's from 5:30-7:30 pm. Crowds in past years have ranged from 50 to 250. Everyone is welcome and there is no charge for admission.

I know that several of our 11th District Congressional candidates will be there. In addition, there will belocal officials and candidates for statewide office in 2009. You can come and mix with them. Ask them about their vision for this great state.

What's with the name?

When I ran for the House in 2001, I asked my friends Sandy Thomas and Scott Surovell to help me with a fundraiser in the legal community. We knew that the senior partners and lobbyists would not supporta challenger. So I figured we'd advertise the event to "the young lawyers" we knew.

We picked a host committee, sent out the invites and reserved a small room at a localrestaurant. My sole goal for the event was to avoid total embarassment.

Amazingly, the room was packed and the party rocked til late in the night. We went on to win the election and "Young Lawyers" became an annual staple with bands, speeches and (occasionally) donations.

The event is not limited to lawyers, young people or Democrats. It's open to anyone who enjoys Virginia politics or a cold beer. Or both.

Hope to see you tonight.
Funny.. being in this oc forum, I read this line as " Amazingly, the room was packing and the party rocked til late in the night. "

IanB

imported post

Hmmmmmm...

Free munchies and beer? And it's right down the road from me? I'll be there.

I'll be unarmed as I do like drinking free beer provided by Democrats.

Edit: The information posted does not make it clear that either the food or beer will be free.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

I'll be unarmed as I do like drinking free beer provided by Democrats.
Where did you see that the beer was free? There's no admission charge.

Even if it was free, there's no way humanly possible that you could consume enough beer in one sitting to offset the extra amount of money per year you pay for having Democrats in office... at any level.:shock: