Thread: Common sense writing from two of my literary heros.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I have long read and admired both of these men and their superb common sense logic in their writings. I have read several of Dr. Sowell's books and really enjoy both him and Dr. Williams' columns in the Washington Times. So please enjoy these two recent installments of true American values and just plain rational prose.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/W...inals_not_guns

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/T...ullet_counters

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Excellent articles! Thanks for sharing those...

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Excellent articles! Thanks for sharing those...
    Weren't they?

I have spoken to Dr. Sowell when he was a guest on the G.Gordon Liddy show. Two of his best works were, "The Vision of the Anointed" and "Inside American Education".

Dr. Williams heads the Economics department at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. He also writes a syndicated column. From time to time, he sits in for Rush Limbaugh when Rush is on vacation. He has a wonderful dry wit about him.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I can just barely tolerate SLimbaugh but he must be credited for making these fine Southern Gentlemen (Philadelphia and North Carolina) better known. The Wikipedia article on WEW mentions "his libertarian and sometimes conservative views", a distinction beyond some of our correspondents.

I suppose we are betraying our stereotypically racist Southeron roots by eagerly sitting at Walter E. Williams' and Thomas Sowell's knees.

Thanks for the articles.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

Post imported post

Two good reads.....Thank you.

Tarzan

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    I can just barely tolerate SLimbaugh but he must be credited for making these fine Southern Gentlemen (Philadelphia and North Carolina) better known. The Wikipedia article on WEW mentions "his libertarian and sometimes conservative views", a distinction beyond some of our correspondents.

I suppose we are betraying our stereotypically racist Southeron roots by eagerly sitting at Walter E. Williams' and Thomas Sowell's knees.

Thanks for the articles.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******
    Hopefully this bolded phrase is a tongue-in-cheek comment and not your view of Southern culture (I have to believe that is the case). Being a Southern man with a decent and respectful Southern upbringing, the hairs on my neck do a little dance at certain stereotypical inferences.

But like I said, I'm sure that is not the case with your comment (and Brutus was an honorable man).

America First!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

If I'm not mistaken, Doug is a displaced gentleman from South Cac-a lackey.

Banned

Post imported post

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/stereotype

Noun Singular
    stereotype

Plural
    stereotypes
    stereotype (plural stereotypes)
    1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.
    2. A person who is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.
    3. (printing) A metal printing plate cast from a matrix moulded from a raised printing surface.

Banned

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Yes. I arrived in Charleston, SC by submarine, USS SandLance SSN-660 in 1971. I worked in the shipyard until BRAC-03/1995 when I (was) retired. Milady and I left on Friday 13 January 2006 to make room for two more 'imports'.

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    My remark was just funnin'. I was playing with his head. Guess I should have made that clear.

America First!

Post imported post

Walter Williams is one of the folks Ron Paul has mentioned as a potential VP running mate.

Banned

Post imported post

Well, Paul needs to 'mention' it a bit louder because that would cut the legs fromunda the racist candidate.

Mod: 'fromunda' is a "sexual reference."

Post imported post

Well heck, I would vote for Walter Williams over any candidate running. I am not a Ron Paul supporter, but I might be able to get behind him 100% if Williams were his running mate.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."