• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Common sense writing from two of my literary heros.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have long read and admired both of these men and their superb common sense logic in their writings. I have read several of Dr. Sowell's books and really enjoy both him and Dr. Williams' columns in the Washington Times. So please enjoy these two recent installments of true American values and just plain rational prose.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/WalterEWilliams/2008/05/21/control_criminals_not_guns

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2008/05/28/the_bullet_counters

SouthernBoy

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Excellent articles! Thanks for sharing those...
Weren't they?

I have spoken to Dr. Sowell when he was a guest on the G.Gordon Liddy show. Two of his best works were, "The Vision of the Anointed" and "Inside American Education".

Dr. Williams heads the Economics department at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. He also writes a syndicated column. From time to time, he sits in for Rush Limbaugh when Rush is on vacation. He has a wonderful dry wit about him.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I can just barely tolerate SLimbaugh but he must be credited for making these fine Southern Gentlemen (Philadelphia and North Carolina) better known. The Wikipedia article on WEW mentions "his libertarian and sometimes conservative views", a distinction beyond some of our correspondents.

I suppose we are betraying our stereotypically racist Southeron roots by eagerly sitting at Walter E. Williams' and Thomas Sowell's knees.

Thanks for the articles.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

SouthernBoy

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I can just barely tolerate SLimbaugh but he must be credited for making these fine Southern Gentlemen (Philadelphia and North Carolina) better known. The Wikipedia article on WEW mentions "his libertarian and sometimes conservative views", a distinction beyond some of our correspondents.

I suppose we are betraying our stereotypically racist Southeron roots by eagerly sitting at Walter E. Williams' and Thomas Sowell's knees.

Thanks for the articles.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
Hopefully this bolded phrase is a tongue-in-cheek comment and not your view of Southern culture (I have to believe that is the case). Being a Southern man with a decent and respectful Southern upbringing, the hairs on my neck do a little dance at certain stereotypical inferences.

But like I said, I'm sure that is not the case with your comment (and Brutus was an honorable man).

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well heck, I would vote for Walter Williams over any candidate running. I am not a Ron Paul supporter, but I might be able to get behind him 100% if Williams were his running mate.