• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who else open carries in Phoenix?

Michigander

imported post

Since I've got to the valley I have of course been open carrying every day, and its got to the point where I feel naked without my gun.:D

I've been all over the valley and outside of it too with my new job, and I've seen some OCing in Phoenix suburbs, including of course at Cabelas, but I haven't even seen a single person open carrying within the city of Pheonix, besides me. I've gone by cop after cop after cop, never even getting a second look, but it's still bothersome. It's like all the southern californians are taking over and it's no longer popular to OC in city. :(

So help me out here and give me some good news. Who else OCs in Phoenix?

Dahwg

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Since I've got to the valley I have of course been open carrying every day, and its got to the point where I feel naked without my gun.:D

I've been all over the valley and outside of it too with my new job, and I've seen some OCing in Phoenix suburbs, including of course at Cabelas, but I haven't even seen a single person open carrying within the city of Pheonix, besides me. I've gone by cop after cop after cop, never even getting a second look, but it's still bothersome. It's like all the southern californians are taking over and it's no longer popular to OC in city. :(

So help me out here and give me some good news. Who else OCs in Phoenix?

I guess lots of Phoenicians are drinking the "tactical advantage" Kool-Aid. :lol:

I dunno. I OC here in Tucson because I have no option- still working out some very old legal speed bumps that have held up my CCW permit (have a hearing on June 9), hopefully I'll know more then.

gamestalker

imported post

Well here is some good news. My self and my 5 boys open carry in Phoenix all the time and have never been hassled or other wise been told we can't. i have however been hassled by Border Patrol and asked the same question during the short but anoying interogation they like to impose. Do you have a permit for that weapon? I always with dignity and a polite response educate them of the arizona law that doesn't require such a permit for open carry, and that has always stopped the interogation process. And by the way one of my sons works at Border Patrol.:)

american-kiwi

imported post

I OC when ever im in PHX...i docarry a CCW...but like to OC..never had a problem yet....i go there every other month for Work training (toyota)....only time i have had to unload my sidearm (ODI 45acp), was in a pawn/used gun store on University Drive
...just a sign posted on the door....not asked..nice guys there.....John in Sierra Vista

gamestalker

imported post

The that fellow having issues with his CCW. I had the same problem due to a skeleton in my closet. But if you just jump throught he hoops you'll prevail as I did. And the really good news is that once you've finished the process you'll never have a problem again so long as you don't create new legal issues. My problem dated back to the mid 1970s and didn't prevent me from carying legally as my history was clean as couldbe except when the feds decided to ask why I was purchasing and that was when I had to provide all my old paper work that clearly showed I was completely restored. And in my case it was just that back when my problem started the local law enforcement wasn't keeping the federal authorities informed or records sent to them. So my advice is to fix the proble and then keep your nose clean, a second chance usually only happenes once!

gamestalker

Dahwg

imported post

gamestalker wrote:
The that fellow having issues with his CCW. I had the same problem due to a skeleton in my closet. But if you just jump throught he hoops you'll prevail as I did. And the really good news is that once you've finished the process you'll never have a problem again so long as you don't create new legal issues. My problem dated back to the mid 1970s and didn't prevent me from carying legally as my history was clean as couldbe except when the feds decided to ask why I was purchasing and that was when I had to provide all my old paper work that clearly showed I was completely restored. And in my case it was just that back when my problem started the local law enforcement wasn't keeping the federal authorities informed or records sent to them. So my advice is to fix the proble and then keep your nose clean, a second chance usually only happenes once!

gamestalker

Ya, thanks for that. I did get the issue resolved and now hold a CCW. Still OC most of the time because it's more comfortable- but I like the perks that having the permit gives. As for my skeleton suffice it to say, vindictive ex-wife, nasty divorce. It's all taken care of now. I was never in trouble before then, nor since (with the exception of the occasional traffic ticket) don't intend to be in trouble ever again.

gamestalker

imported post

I'm sorry for your circumstances and didn't intend for you to devulge your history. But with that said I'm glad you are thinking in a way that supports our 2nd ammedment being a productive element of society. We all have made mistakes, but those of us, you and I as an example,that have realizedthe difference between mistakes and it becoming a way of life, truely have earned our right to be respected and keeping our dignity in tact.

Hey I noticed your a Tucsonian, I movd to Tucson in the early 1970s and in all have spent at least 20 years in that wondrful city. In fact my wife and I are moving back in a couple of months. Two of my grown Son't live there as well. I'm only living inYuma because two of my Son's live here and wanted my wife and I to be with them during their deployment to Afghanistan and Iraq. Now that they are finished with that we are out of here!

Well have a great day and God Bless!

gamestalker

gamestalker

imported post

Phoenix is deffinitly becoming a little southern California. Jobs, cost of living, and the warm winters seem to attract them I think. But I've also found that if we educate them when they inquire about our OC, I find they are only thinking in that left wing way because they have never had the afforded opportunity to express their hidden right wing desires. My brother is a California resident, and has been for over half a century. I recently managed to get him interested in trap and skeet, and now he owns a shotgun for the first time in hs life and has a very acceptingand open mindabout me OCing. So don't feel like the odd ball in the Valley, its just that its kind of an unusual feeling when we seem to be the only one doing something, even if that something is perfectly legal, and morally right, such is the case with OC.

gamestalker

Michigander

imported post

That's my feelings exactly. It does make you the oddball, because it is indeed turning kali like. However, unlike Kali I have much more confidence in the people on the valley, and the cops are very well aware of the RKBA and what it entails.

But it does bother me, that I so rarely see it, especially in Phoenix. I mean it's way more common than Michigan, but Arizona itself is known around the country for people carrying weapons in the open. It's like Phoenix is losing its way, and I feel it's my job to do all I can to help curb that.

Just the same, we must be doing something right, because there are an awful lot of stores with no weapons signs in Phoenix, (something you almost never see somewhere where OC is uncommon or unheard of) and a lot of people who live there who don't OC are very well aware of it's legality.

gamestalker

imported post

Hey, speaking of signs that say "no weapons allowed". I've been told, and have read that so long as the establishment doesn't meet the criteriea for no firearms such as a bar, or other, they can prevent us from bringing our firearm in, but if that is their policy, they have to provide a safe place for us to store our weapon so it isn't at risk for being stolen from our vehicle. Also, they have to do it in such a way as to not interfere with us retrieving it in a timely fashion. Someone please research this, as I did, and give me your interpretation of the written law.

gamestalker

like_the_roman

imported post

gamestalker wrote:
Hey, speaking of signs that say "no weapons allowed". I've been told, and have read that so long as the establishment doesn't meet the criteriea for no firearms such as a bar, or other, they can prevent us from bringing our firearm in, but if that is their policy, they have to provide a safe place for us to store our weapon so it isn't at risk for being stolen from our vehicle. Also, they have to do it in such a way as to not interfere with us retrieving it in a timely fashion. Someone please research this, as I did, and give me your interpretation of the written law.

gamestalker

I think that only applies to local/state government buildings or events (libraries, etc.)

Michigander

imported post

That wouldn't be even remotely something that would make sense. A government building, yes. But private property? No way. That would be like a law that mandated that if you came to my movie theater where no food was allowed that I had to store your thirstbuster that you just bought while you saw the movie. Wouldn't make any sense at all. Private property is private property.

gamestalker

imported post

Well that is why I asked for others to provide their interpretation of the WRITTEN law that refers to this specific OC issue. i reaqlly didn;t think this issue or my opinion as it were, should have inspired anyone to respond with insulting remarks. I;m only trying to invoke opinions and clarity in these gray areas that do exist regarding our lawful right to OC, nothing else. Most gun advocate organizations have looked closely at this issue and have arrived at the same conclusion, of which is, their isn't a crystal clear interpretation of the law in this particular area. Its been further thought that the reason for the lack of clarity in this area is to provide law enforcement with a cause that would be according to their discretion that they can apply when they should so feel to, and as a way to structure suchto their needs. Kind of like the argument that was recently presented to the federal courts regarding our right to own handguns and keep them at least within our own home. This was a major fluster cluck because of multiple interpretations of the current law, and 2nd ammendment.But private property laws don't entirely apply, as a firearmpresents multiple risks if stolen,and thenbecomes a public saftey issue. I can't imagine a soft drink becoming a public saftey issue if stolen,its just rediculous to even consider that association. Regarding the library, parks and such, that law is referencing organized public events, or such that have a combined attendance of more than, or at least a certain number of individuals, and have a specific agebda.Again, this is only my opinion and needs some clarification before myself, or anyone else should proceed with my opinion as fact.Please research this as a cooperative organization so we can better understand our laws in this subject matter.

gamestalker:?

BigRick

imported post

I OC every where in AZ, I am cognizant of where I OC to not offend any place that has signage prohibiting weapons. I am comfortable with my weapon and more so with it on my hip.

OC'ing is a way of life for me, so much so that when I can't OC I feel like I am missing an appendage.