• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OC at Cabelas

MountainManXD

imported post

Hey everybody I have been a lurker for a long time now, and wanted to let you know about my first time open carrying in a large crowded environment. I went to Cabelas with my wife 3 kids and a friend and his 9 yr old. I figured there could be no better way to celebrate Memorial Day than to exercise my 2A right in a new and open way for the first time. I tried to stick with my family or my friend and his son to show that I am a normal family oriented guy.There were a couple of stares, including one employee who sat and checked me out for couple of minutes while I talked to my friend about reloading equipment. But nothing really happened and after looking around and shopping for over an hour we leftwith no real incidents. Thanks to everyone for all of the great insight into the topic.

mountain man

GeneticsDave

imported post

Well, first of all, welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you here. Secondly, I'm glad that your first OC experience was positive. It's an adventure every day. But for those of us (including you) who know it to be our right to carry arms, it becomes an honor and a duty that we do not take lightly. Good on you for being observant of your surroundings (keep that up!). You will become more adventurous, just go at your own pace and do what you feel comfortable with. Nice to meet you by the way - hopefully I will see you at one of our upcoming meets. There is a thread here about adopting a highway to do some service. If you are interested, go over to that thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/11259.html and vote for the county that is most convenient for you! :D

Outsider

imported post

Good job and welcome from Orem!!! Keep it up. Need any help on the laws, Dave, Sgt, and UTOC are here to help... oh, and me and others. :D

BTW, is the XD in your nickname stand for "Springfield's Xtreme Duty handguns"? If so, AWESOME!!! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate I carry a SA-XD40 4" Service.

MountainManXD

imported post

Outsider wrote:
BTW, is the XD in your nickname stand for "Springfield's Xtreme Duty handguns"? If so, AWESOME!!! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate I carry a SA-XD40 4" Service.
I was carrying my SA-XD40 4" Service in a level 2 blackhawk serpa holster. My wife has the SA-XD9 SC that I sometimes carry if I want something smaller. Her's is all black and mine is 2-toned stainless slide on black. I love the gun but the new XDM looks even better.:what:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

MountainManXD wrote:
Hey everybody I have been a lurker for a long time now, and wanted to let you know about my first time open carrying in a large crowded environment. I went to Cabelas with my wife 3 kids and a friend and his 9 yr old. I figured there could be no better way to celebrate Memorial Day than to exercise my 2A right in a new and open way for the first time. I tried to stick with my family or my friend and his son to show that I am a normal family oriented guy.There were a couple of stares, including one employee who sat and checked me out for couple of minutes while I talked to my friend about reloading equipment. But nothing really happened and after looking around and shopping for over an hour we leftwith no real incidents. Thanks to everyone for all of the great insight into the topic.

mountain man

Awesome and welcome to OCDO.

TJ

thx997303

imported post

I would also like to welcome you, Mountainman.

Sticking with family will help you to get more comfortable. The only times I've ever had a real negative experience I was alone. When I'm with my wife and daughter, I never get bothered.

Anyway congratulations on your decision to OC. Hope you have many positive experiences.

MountainManXD

imported post

Thanks for welcoming me to your forum everybody. I have nothing but respect for all of you that are willing to spend your time educating everyone (leo included) about our right to open carry. To open carry is our right. CCW is a privilege. The more we educate the public the stronger that right will be. I am now trying to do my part as well. Thanks for all of the encouragement, and diligence in preserving our rights.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MountainManXD wrote:
Thanks for welcoming me to your forum everybody. I have nothing but respect for all of you that are willing to spend your time educating everyone (leo included) about our right to open carry. To open carry is our right. CCW is a privilege. The more we educate the public the stronger that right will be. I am now trying to do my part as well. Thanks for all of the encouragement, and diligence in preserving our rights.
Your correct, CCW is a privilege... a privilege that we give the government. We allow them to control that aspect of our lives...

We have to remember that we are the ones in control... I know it doesn't seem that way sometimes, but we have to remember it. We give the government ALL of it's power, and if we choose, we can take it from them.

It is only a matter of inactivity or lack of desire that keeps us from having the freedoms we want!

I didn't mean to rant on your post... It wasn't directed at you, just what you said sparked it out of me.:lol:

GeneticsDave

imported post

Yes, I would say that concealed carry shouldn't be a privilege, since it is a right to bear arms (it never says how or of what size). The problem is we have released this right over the years and now the government is regulating it and rehashing it back to us if we apply for, and pass the requirements for, a permit. It's a sham, something we shouldn't have to do, but since we have laws and obeying those laws (even though idiotic at times) keeps us out of jail it is something that is tolerated at the moment.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MountainManXD wrote:
[Snip] The more we educate the public the stronger that right will be. I am now trying to do my part as well. [Snip]
I applaud your efforts, and am excited to see new members "come out of the shadows" here on the forums.