• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Athletic holster?

Walleye

imported post

I currently use a simple belt holster which was actually designed for a Glock 17, but it 'fits' my S&W39 fairly snugly. However, I noticed that while running or other quick motions, the holster feels as if it will bounce right out. It's not a particularly comfortable feeling, especially when trying to discourage 2 year old thoroughbreds full of piss and vinegar.

Basically, I need a holster that will fit my pistol well and protect it (especially the muzzle - I don't need a barrel full of mud or sand) while remaining snug and stable through a lot of fast motions, including running. I've looked at a variety of holsters, from shoulder harnesses to 'tactical' thigh but I honestly don't know which type is best for what I'm usually going through. Does anybody have some good recommendations?

Veering off-topic, given my sidearm and the above motions, would it be incredibly stupid to keep a round in the chamber with the safety on while doing the above? I'm not particularly fond of the idea as I was taught never to trust a mechanical safety device. Thus far I've only carried with a full mag, requiring me to pull back the slide if the need arises for me to use it. I've been considering getting a M1911 in SA for horseback duty, since the multitude of safety devices built in are ideal for cavalry - at the moment though, that is not an option.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

IMO, you should look for a retention holster. If it has to be closed-end, I'd recommend a Federal holster, though for most other cases I personally prefer the counterpart Uncle Mike's holster. Both are inexpensive, but they'll do the job unquestionably. You can also look for a rig with a thigh strap; that'll keep the holster from flopping about when you run.

As far as chambering it, yes, I would keep one in the pipe with the safety on. No, you never trust a mechanical device; that's why you strictly adhere to the 4 rules. Number 3 is of special importance here; keep your finger OFF the trigger until your target is sighted and you wish to fire at it. If you obey the four rules unwaveringly, you can keep that gun cocked with the safety off and it won't ND.

Walleye

imported post

Liko81,

Thanks for the reply but I would like to know what type of holster should it be (if that matters) - I've looked at everything from hip holsters to thigh tactical and I really just need pointers as to which direction to take from there.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, it sounds like you can answer your own question from here. You need a holster that will stay securely on your belt, will cover the muzzle to keep out dirt, and will provide retention so the gun can't be jostled out of it. There are many holsters that will do exactly what you need; if you need more specific guidance as to the design, materials, more questions must be answered.

For instance, do you plan on keeping the gun in the holster all the time even when you're not wearing it? If so, I would recommend against a leather holster as such holsters hold moisture and can cause rust. You can, if you wish, treat such a holster with a leather waterproofer to ameliorate this. Leather is more durable than cloth and more stylish than molded nylon (unless you're going for "tacticool") so if those matter then get a leather holster and either treat it or take the gun out at night and let it breathe.

Are you going to be sweating a lot? I recommend against a paddle, IWB or shoulder holster if so. They will either soak up moisture or force your shirt to do so, then hold it against your skin. A belt holster would be best in most of these cases.

Do you see a need to remove the holster without taking off your belt? If so, I would recommend a paddle holster, sweat notwithstanding. It's the most secureand comfortable design that you can still easily remove; a belt clip will wobble about and other holsters are cumbersome to remove (however easy to draw from).

Do you see a need to quickly draw your gun from retention? If so I would recommend a holster with a thumb break strap, or a Serpa brandholster which has pushbutton retention. I would also get one that has a forward cant (the muzzle is pointing below and behind you rather than directly beneath you) which increases draw speed.

Now, as far as brand names, you really can't go wrong. Federal and Uncle Mike's are inexpensive, solid, no-frills clothholsters that will do the job for years. Serpa and Galco are a little more high end in materials (molded nylon, leather etc), have a few more features you may want, and cost a little more. There are plenty of small-shop holster makers out there that each provide variations on a theme. Really nothingavailable for OC is going to be a total POS unless it doesn't have the features you want or is uncomfortable, and those are totally personal decisions.

I'll tell you right now, you are very likely to end up with a sock drawer full of holsters that "didn't quite work". That'sbecauseyou can read any review, whether here, in a magazine or word-of-mouth at the store, thatrecommendsa particular holster as being "the best",but if you buy it anddon't agree it goes in the sock drawer and you try again.

Walleye

imported post

That's the kind of advice I needed, many thanks.

While working on the pasture I don't need fast access to my weapon, only maximum retention and protection. I figure I can use my current holster or a different belt holster for when I'm not running around. I will definitely be sweating a lot. Being able to take the holster off easily is not a concern.

I may try out a 'tacticool' thigh holster and see where that gets me, as thus far it looks like the extra straps could keep it pretty secure through a variety of movements.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

If the make a serpa for your model firearm, i would highly suggest the serpa thigh rig! i use it because i am able to easily access my pocket and depending on what i feel like carrying, 3 screws and i can just slap another holster on there!

Walleye

imported post

Update on this:

I got two new holsters, a cheap tactical thigh rig and a Uncle Mike's belt holster. The cheap tactical rig is ok but needed modification to fit around my fat legs. :D It also doesn't fit my S&W39 that well - definitely designed for larger weapons, I'd say at least with 4" barrels.

The Uncle Mike's belt holster however is excellent. They label it as a "Law Enforcement Super Belt Slide" holster but it fits my weapon (and me) extremely well. It supports the weight easily and is very comfortable. Draw is very easy although the button snap on the retention strap is a little difficult to snap for reholster. I also got a double universal magazine pouch which now sits on my 7:30 position. Had no problems running or moving quick - holster kept everything locked down tight.

I might try the thigh holster when I get a larger sidearm but I'd need to modify the retention strap for it.