Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: OC at Thanksgiving Point

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bountiful, Utah, , USA
    Posts
    472

    Post imported post

    OK, the wife and I are going to take the manchild to the Dino Museum at Thanksgiving Point. I looked online and didn't see anything about general policy. I would rather not be kicked out (as I would like to see the exhibit), does anyone know if there is a no-guns policy in effect at Thanksgiving Point? I know the theater is a LHM venue, but excluding that...

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orem, Utah, USA
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    I was going to do this on monday if we didn't goto the zoo, but ended up there and not TGP to watch Indiana Jones IV. If you are our "lab rat" let me know how it went for future carry.
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

  3. #3
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    I have carried there. I spent 5 hours there two weeks ago during the UVSC Auto Expo, and nobody said a word. I did not see any signs anywhere.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    I talked to GD today as he was at the TP OCing. Seemed to go well.

    Who wants to go there this weekened?

    I've heard there Garden Area is very Beautiful.

    Never been to TP



    TJ

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orem, Utah, USA
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    What time? Or does Dave really want us to show up and chase the day with his wife?
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

  6. #6
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    I would want to go, but I don't have a weapon to OC right now, as I don't have ammo for the new Hi-point. Plus Our anniversary is on Monday, and the wife wants to make a weekend out of it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orem, Utah, USA
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    Well, if Dave gives the go ahead then I'm game. If not the rest of use can meet up for an unofficial OC meet. The wife is working and I'd rather talk guns then clean the house.
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

  8. #8
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Definitely the better choice.

    I wish that somehow you could incorporate shooting drills in cleaning the house.

    Would make it so easy to clean.

    I've got it!

    Make a machine that performs a cleaning task, and is activated by shooting targets.

    And the better you shoot the better it cleans.

    Guess you'd have to use airsoft.

    Would be fun anyway.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orem, Utah, USA
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    thx997303 wrote:
    Definitely the better choice.

    I wish that somehow you could incorporate shooting drills in cleaning the house.

    Would make it so easy to clean.

    I've got it!

    Make a machine that performs a cleaning task, and is activated by shooting targets.

    And the better you shoot the better it cleans.

    Guess you'd have to use airsoft.

    Would be fun anyway.
    So when the wife gets home little yellow/white bbs are all over the place! YEAH!
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

  10. #10
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Lol, but it would clean up the bb's as you were target practicing.

    Oh yeah, remember, if she comes home and there's still a mess, she wont be near as mad if it's a completely different mess then the one she left.


  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bountiful, Utah, , USA
    Posts
    472

    Post imported post

    OK, sorry this is so late - this has been a long day!

    Spent about 2-2.5 hours at the Museum of Ancient History (the manchild wanted to see "Dinos"). Had a good time - you gotta see the Supersaurus!!! - played in the sand and saw a water dragon (anyone seen the Lochness Monster?) skeleton to boot. No hassle whatsoever. I didn't go anywhere else at TP, so I can't vouch for the other venues, but no problems at the Museum.

    After that we had lunch at Cabela's (yucky food... ick!), stopped at Tai Pan Trading Co. so the wife could look aroundsies, then over to Kinko's for copies (they can never print anything right, I swear!), then off to get the mop cut where a lady kept eyeing my hip - turns out she's in my Stake and goes to the same Church building I do - weird how small the world is, then over to Costco to activate our new membership and a 2 hour "walk up and down the ailes to see what they have". Finally home to relax, eat take-out and enjoy a movie - which I just finished and am now online typing to you guys at 12:25 am 'cause you guys RULE! That and I am addicted to gun talk

    Anyways, good time, no hassles today!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    GeneticsDave wrote:
    OK, sorry this is so late - this has been a long day!

    Spent about 2-2.5 hours at the Museum of Ancient History (the manchild wanted to see "Dinos"). Had a good time - you gotta see the Supersaurus!!! - played in the sand and saw a water dragon (anyone seen the Lochness Monster?) skeleton to boot. No hassle whatsoever. I didn't go anywhere else at TP, so I can't vouch for the other venues, but no problems at the Museum.

    After that we had lunch at Cabela's (yucky food... ick!), stopped at Tai Pan Trading Co. so the wife could look aroundsies, then over to Kinko's for copies (they can never print anything right, I swear!), then off to get the mop cut where a lady kept eyeing my hip - turns out she's in my Stake and goes to the same Church building I do - weird how small the world is, then over to Costco to activate our new membership and a 2 hour "walk up and down the ailes to see what they have". Finally home to relax, eat take-out and enjoy a movie - which I just finished and am now online typing to you guys at 12:25 am 'cause you guys RULE! That and I am addicted to gun talk

    Anyways, good time, no hassles today!
    How much is it to get in to TP???

    TJ

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orem, Utah, USA
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    GeneticsDave wrote:
    OK, sorry this is so late - this has been a long day!

    Spent about 2-2.5 hours at the Museum of Ancient History (the manchild wanted to see "Dinos"). Had a good time - you gotta see the Supersaurus!!! - played in the sand and saw a water dragon (anyone seen the Lochness Monster?) skeleton to boot. No hassle whatsoever. I didn't go anywhere else at TP, so I can't vouch for the other venues, but no problems at the Museum.

    After that we had lunch at Cabela's (yucky food... ick!), stopped at Tai Pan Trading Co. so the wife could look aroundsies, then over to Kinko's for copies (they can never print anything right, I swear!), then off to get the mop cut where a lady kept eyeing my hip - turns out she's in my Stake and goes to the same Church building I do - weird how small the world is, then over to Costco to activate our new membership and a 2 hour "walk up and down the ailes to see what they have". Finally home to relax, eat take-out and enjoy a movie - which I just finished and am now online typing to you guys at 12:25 am 'cause you guys RULE! That and I am addicted to gun talk

    Anyways, good time, no hassles today!
    How much is it to get in to TP???

    TJ
    Ah, he already went!!! Glad you had a fun time, Dave. I'll remember that for next time, after I put my gun back together from a good cleaning and face lift.

    As for how much, to walk around the grounds it is free, but if you want to go into the museum or whatever I don't know. Ask the boss man.
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bountiful, Utah, , USA
    Posts
    472

    Post imported post

    We paid $10 for the museum. The movie (IMAX I think) is $7 extra or you can get both for $15 and save $2. I thought the movie would be too scary for a 2 year old, so we skipped that part. Each area has it's own fee, you really just go and do one thing - there's not a general admission pass. You can get a membership (?) where you get in for free for a year and can take like one person or something, but I didn't really look into it too much. I'm sure you can find all the pricing on their website.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Firestone, Colorado
    Posts
    1,189

    Post imported post

    Keep in mind that if you go to the gardens at TP and start taking pictures of your kids, and if you have a nice camera, they'll try to charge you a $150 photography fee because you're doing "portrait photography" on their grounds. If you don't want to pay, they'll try to take your camera.

    I didn't pay, and when the five-foot-nothing 100-lb woman tried to take my camera I put it behind me, and told her she couldn't have it and that we would leave immediately and never come back. She then asked me to erase my memory card and show her that it was cleared. I ignored her and we left.

    Yes, I still have a rather bitter taste in my mouth for TP over that.

  16. #16
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Wow, that's ridiculous. Oh well, I don't have a nice camera.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    swillden wrote:
    Keep in mind that if you go to the gardens at TP and start taking pictures of your kids, and if you have a nice camera, they'll try to charge you a $150 photography fee because you're doing "portrait photography" on their grounds. If you don't want to pay, they'll try to take your camera.

    I didn't pay, and when the five-foot-nothing 100-lb woman tried to take my camera I put it behind me, and told her she couldn't have it and that we would leave immediately and never come back. She then asked me to erase my memory card and show her that it was cleared. I ignored her and we left.

    Yes, I still have a rather bitter taste in my mouth for TP over that.
    Well then....Then I'll just use my cell ph camera and will be walking with it in my hand as if I'm looking for service and take Pics:celebrate.

    TJ











  18. #18
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    There you go, show 'em who's boss.

    What ever happened to the customer is always right mentality?

    Sure, the practical business practice will not always find the customer to be correct, but I think this phrase applies more to a customer service attitude then to actual practice.

    Anyway, businesses aren't using this mentality anymore, and it pisses me off.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    47

    Post imported post

    Wow. Utterly Rediculous. I wonder what a 'nice' camera is?

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Firestone, Colorado
    Posts
    1,189

    Post imported post

    thx997303 wrote:
    Wow, that's ridiculous. Oh well, I don't have a nice camera.
    I thought it was. In the interest of full disclosure, I WAS taking portraits. But I'm not a professional photographer, just a guy trying to take some pictures of his kids and hoping they turn out good enough to avoid shelling out $$ to a real photographer.

    I didn't think their rule ought to apply to me, but I could deal with that. What really made me mad was the way it was handled. Do NOT tell me to give you my camera. It's almost as bad as asking for my gun. I've certainly got more money invested in the camera stuff. The bit about wanting me to erase any photos I'd taken was just silly.

    I probably shouldn't be so annoyed with TP, since it was likely just an overzealous employee who needs a little remedial customer service training, but I haven't been back.

    I got better pictures at the Layton city park after getting kicked out of TP anyway.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Firestone, Colorado
    Posts
    1,189

    Post imported post

    eddified wrote:
    Wow. Utterly Rediculous. I wonder what a 'nice' camera is?
    In my case, a Canon 350D with a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. It is the sort of thing a pro photographer might use, though the pro would probably have had a 30D or even a 1Ds body, rather than the "prosumer" 350D.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •