• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Open Carry Pamphlet

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

[align=left][font="Tahoma, sans-serif"][font="Times New Roman, serif"][/font][/font][/align]
"This case annunciates the states necessity to provide for a manner of carry or wield to amendment."
[align=left]
[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left][/align]
"School zone" means…: In or on the grounds of a school. Or Within 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school.
[align=left][/align]

Decoligny

imported post

Though not specifically related to Open Carry, I think it might be a good idea to add the rest ofthe School Zone Act, just so everyone knows how to legally get through the School Zones.

[align=left]2. If the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by a political subdivision of the state or bureau of alcohol, tobacco and firearms in which political subdivision the school zone is located, and the law of the political subdivision requires that, before an individual may obtain such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the political subdivision must verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;[/align]

[align=left]3. That is not loaded and is:[/align]

[align=left]a. Encased; or[/align]

[align=left]b. In a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;[/align]

[align=left]4. By an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;[/align]

apjonas

imported post

[align=left]State vs. Hamdan, This case annunciates the states necessity to provide for a manner of carry or wield to amendment.
[/align]

[align=left]How about -[/align]

[align=left]State v. Hamdan, 264 Wis. 2d 433, 665 N.W.2d 785 (2003) . The Wisconsin Supreme Court established a (restrictive) three-pronged test to determine whether a person charged with violation of Wis. Stat. 941.23 may raise a constitutional defense. The Court found that Article I, Section 25 does not establish an unfettered right to bear arms." Likewise, the court recognized in Hamdan, as it had in Cole, that " Wisconsin's prohibition of the carrying of concealed weapons is, as a general matter, a reasonable exercise of police power." The tests (all of which must be answered in the affirmative) are:[/align]
(1) Under the circumstances, did the defendant's interest in concealing the weapon to facilitate exercise of his right to keep and bear arms substantially outweigh the State's interest in enforcing the concealed weapons statute? The State generally has a significant interest in prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons. Thus, to satisfy this element, the defendant must have been exercising the right to keep and bear arms under circumstances in which the need to do so was substantial.

(2) Did the defendant conceal his weapon because concealment was the only reasonable means under the circumstances to exercise his right to bear arms? Put differently, did the defendant lack a reasonable alternative to concealment, under the circumstances, to exercise his constitutional right to bear arms?

(3) The defendant was not carrying the weapon for an unlawful purpose.

smithman

imported post

I don't think the language of the CC prohibition in WI favors the "partial concealment" theory. After reading on the Mississippi forum, for example, the state bans carrying a handgun "concealed in whole or in part". This clearly makes a CC licence required for OC.

The WI statues have no such language. I know there was that one oddball case of that guy arrested for carrying a gun and it was considered CC since a holster concealed part of the gun. But the language of the laws don't support this conclusion. And I believe the guy was never charged with CC anyway. Furthermore, we don't know what type of holster he was using. Maybe he had an IWB and only the top of his grip or the hammer was exposed. It could have been interpreted by a cop as sloppy CC. I don't recall being able to read these details anywhere.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just wondering if you have an updated version available. I'd be very interested, as a first step to educate our elected officials, I'd place at each seat and/or handout the pamphlets at various board meetings to elected officials, general public, and the press.

AaronS

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Parabellum asked me to edit the WI pamphlet and post it for him, and asks for OCDO member comments.

I updated some of the formatting, changed some text to avoid legal problems, and verified the statue information. The filename now has a -Year_Month_Day-Time insert that should be changed each time the file is saved in order to keep track of revisions. The document is in Rich Text Format, Zipped so that OCDO accepts the file type.

Parabellum did an excellent job. I regret not having more time to contribute, and thank him for his extensive efforts.

To be honest, I would love to make up a pamphlet the is made just for the police. One that states every law and example of law that we have. This way, when stopped, I could just clam up, and hand over a sheet of paper for them to read, and learn.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This is the most recent (updated) version of the Wisconsin pamphlet. Para updated it, and I had 5,000 printed. If you would like some of the already printed/folded ones PM and I'll send them to you.