• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for class for CHP

allawd

imported post

I'm new to this forum, but I was referred by "unrequited"

I would like to find a good class for me and my girlfriend to take in NOVA (Fairfax or Alexandria)that would qualify for a CHP. I have someexperience, but no formal training, she has been to the range twice with me.

Thanks!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Guns and Ammo Warehouse in Manassas offers NRA Home Firearms Safety classes which will qualify. They are offered on the weekends about twice a month.

mkl

imported post

allawd wrote:

I would like to find a good class for me and my girlfriend to take in NOVA (Fairfax or Alexandria)that would qualify for a CHP. I have someexperience, but no formal training, she has been to the range twice with me.

Thanks!

I did mine at Gilbert's range. http://www.gilbertrange.com/

Basic Handgun class. Pretty cheap, 50$ or so. The classroom was mostly introduction to firearms in general, like the different typesof guns, different types of ammo.The usual firearms safety. Range time at theend. No in depth into legal issues, self defense etc.

nova

imported post

mkl wrote:
allawd wrote:

Thanks!

I did mine at Gilbert's range. http://www.gilbertrange.com/

Basic Handgun class. Pretty cheap, 50$ or so. The classroom was mostly introduction to firearms in general, like the different typesof guns, different types of ammo.The usual firearms safety. Range time at theend. No in depth into legal issues, self defense etc.
I plan on taking that course at Gilberts in the next week or two just so I'll have my certification (which starting July 1st will never "expire" in those certain VA jurisdictions). I have another two years to go but I believe one of the guys there said I don't have to be 21 to take the class to get certified.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

allawd wrote:

Thanks!
contact pourshot at 4permits@gmail.com

He has a class next weekend, I believe. He's in the Stafford area, so it'll be a little drive, but I expect it would be worth it.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you decide to take a "bare bones" course that only goes over firearm safety and basic usage, fine, but I'd strongly advise you to get a good education for yourself about firearms law, state and federal, in regard to armed self defense and its aftermath. Offhand, I can't think of a good book about this, but I'm sure someone else on this forum could help you out.

Almost all the CCW courses give good instruction in firearms usage, but those which also tackle the legal issues don't always play to great reviews. We've all seen posts here from people who have been misinformed about the law by CCW courses. And the subject of open carry in particular is often distorted by the biases of the instructor.

Anyway, welcome aboard. Go to some of the dinners with Unrequited and OC if you and your girlfriend are comfortable with it.