• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TX - Robber Shingles Out Roofer and Gets Nailed

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Heard about this on the radio so did a quick search and found it:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5801033.html
May 25, 2008, 11:13PM

Robbery attempt ends in death for suspect in Houston

By MIKE GLENN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

A roofer fatally shot a suspected robber Sunday, only minutes after the man shoved a pistol in his back in the parking lot of a southeast Houston town house complex.

Identified by his employer as Juan Ibarra, the roofer was hitching a trailer to his pickup about 9 a.m. when the suspected robber moved up behind him, police said.
Ibarra "was ordered to go around to the cab of the truck and give him his money," said Ramon Cervantes, a Houston police homicide detective.

The man grabbed Ibarra's wallet and cell phone, then began walking away. Police said he stopped after noticing that some cash had fallen to the pavement.

That's when Ibarra pulled out his revolver and fired at least three times, police said.
The man was struck in the left chest area and fell to the ground, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Residents watched Sunday as police placed several evidence markers around the white Ford pickup.

"If it's a robber who got popped, that's his problem," said John Andre, who lives a couple of houses away.

Police said Ibarra has a license to carry a concealed handgun.

The suspected robber, 21, lived in the area, police said.

Ibarra had been working on the roof at the complex but decided to pick up the work trailer Sunday so it wouldn't remain unattended for the holiday weekend, his employer said.

Ibarra was not charged in the fatal shooting. The case will be referred to a Harris County grand jury, police said.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BUBB4H wrote:
There certainly seem to be a lot of these stories coming out of the great state of Texas.
Ihope that was not sarcastic :?. No, Texans don't like criminals any more than the next state, and luckily there are very good laws on the books allowing civilians to defend themselves without having to defend their defense. Castle Doctrine, Stand Your Ground, unlicensed CC in vehicles, and CHL applications have spiked by 40%. For aNon-OC state we're a pretty good place to be a gun person; better I would say than many OC states.

Now all we need is OC. Heck, I'll take it licensed (a CHL would allow OC as well as CC) just to get a foot in the door,IF I seriously thought that foot in the door would allow OCers to push for unlicensed (the problem being that opponents will say "You've GOT open carry" as soon as there is any form of it, and Texas CHL holders tend to argue against OC :cuss::banghead:).

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Liko81 wrote:
(the problem being that opponents will say "You've GOT open carry" as soon as there is any form of it, and Texas CHL holders tend to argue against OC :cuss::banghead:).

They sure do. Texasguntalk.com

Many people feel that they'd like to have the option, but that they probably wouldn't OC much of anywhere. I think it'd be hard to gain this right anytime in the very near future.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I do find it strange that these guys keep getting shot in the back, after they're no longer a threat.

It doesn't mention how he was able to force the guy to do what he wanted. I wonder if he was armed or if he pretended to be (Like doing the pointed finger inside your coat thing, lol).

I was also thinking, and please correct me if I'm wrong John:

John may disagree with the shooting him in the back thing (At least I don't particularly like it) if that's what happened. It is harder to feel sorry for someone who takes things by force like this though. He didn't just run into a store, grab something and leave. He actually took something via the threat of physical force, which is significantly more violent and threatening than the beer bandits. I don't feel bad for him because he came up to this guy and was like, "you're going to do what I tell you m***** f*****." It look's like the victim got the last word in this one though.

Another thing is, it's entirely possible that the victim did not plan on shooting initially, but when he saw the guy stop and turn he had a split second decision to make. I know I would have been thinking, "is this guy about to kill me?" As far as the victim knew, the criminal could be planning to leave no witnesses, something an idiot like that might really do. Since the criminal had already shown he was willing to use violent force to obtain what he wanted, the victim may have assumed he was in danger at that point in time.

MetalChris

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Another thing is, it's entirely possible that the victim did not plan on shooting initially, but when he saw the guy stop and turn he had a split second decision to make. I know I would have been thinking, "is this guy about to kill me?" As far as the victim knew, the criminal could be planning to leave no witnesses, something an idiot like that might really do. Since the criminal had already shown he was willing to use violent force to obtain what he wanted, the victim may have assumed he was in danger at that point in time.
Boom, there you go. I think based on that this would've been a good shoot in about 40 states.

imported post

BUBB4H wrote:
There certainly seem to be a lot of these stories coming out of the great state of Texas.
Good to see Law Abiding citizens thinning out the herd of BG's

Pointman

imported post

I have to wonder about the outcome if the worker had been openly carrying. Would it have been an attempted gun-grab? Would the robber stolen from someone else?

I haven't heard of a robber stealing from someone who was legally openly carrying. Given the anti-gun news media, I think it would be a popular story.

imported post

Pointman wrote:
I have to wonder about the outcome if the worker had been openly carrying. Would it have been an attempted gun-grab? Would the robber stolen from someone else?

I haven't heard of a robber stealing from someone who was legally openly carrying. Given the anti-gun news media, I think it would be a popular story.
Don't forget the fact that LE open carry, and many have been killed with thier own guns.

Pointman

imported post

563 wrote:
Don't forget the fact that LE open carry, and many have been killed with thier own guns.

I'd like to see statistics on that.

Most police officers aren't shot in the line of duty. Of few that are, 14% of all police officers are shot with their own guns (AACFI 2007), but most live. Unlike people who openly carry, police put themselves in dangerous situations and in close physical proximity to bad persons.

Of the attacks on people who've reported a defensive gun usage, 92% of the people draw, and then the bad person runs away. 1% are shot in a defensive situation and die. 7% are shot in a defensive situation and live. A very small fraction fall to the ground or otherwise assume an arrest position. No statistics showed a person with a permit to carry was disarmed. I have heard stories in the past of women who did not shoot and had their gun turned on them, but have not seen any such report in the paper; still, I believe disarming to be true in select instances.

I think the difference is that persons with a permit to carry have generally received training in defensive situations, are alert and try to avoid putting themselves in bad situations,and will fire when necessary.

imperialism2024

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Weak 9mm wrote:
Boom, there you go. I think based on that this would've been a good shoot in about 40 states.
That's why I'd call this a good shoot. Though I don't think a typical sh**ple jury would have seen it that way, and thus 40 states is kind of optimistic.

I'll admit that upon seeing the thread title, I was hoping that the roofer shot the robber with a nail gun... alas, no.