• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Beach CHP Process

denwego

imported post

So I dropped my CHP packet off with the clerk three days ago, and I've been thinking about an unusual lack of fingerprinting while I was there. VA Beach has a law about fingerprinting first-time applicants, which their website says will be either done at the time you drop your forms off or they'll schedule an appointment before you leave if they're too busy to do it right then.

They didn't mention it while I was there to drop them off, so when I came back a few minutes later to let them photocopy my DL I had left in the car, I asked them if they needed to; the clerk responded "we don't need to fingerprint you." Normally this'd be all well and good, but it started to gnaw at me... is this going to come back in two weeks and bite me without my doing, when they suddenly realize they can't process it by their fault? Does anyone else have some VA Beach experiences with something like this?

denwego

imported post

Awesome, thanks!

I was concerned after I saw their municipal code requiring it for first-timers. I hope they change that officially sometime soon!

denwego

imported post

Aye, that's what the clerk told me. She said there wasn't much of a glut of apps over the summer, so I might get it as soon as two weeks, but probably three. Much, much better than the 59th day out of 60 it took out in Boulder, CO.

vbnative73

imported post

My wife got hers about 6 months ago. She dropped it off on Monday and it was in our mailbox on Friday:what:. I'm sure that's the exception rather than the rule, but VB is pretty quick with CHPs.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

denwego wrote:
So I dropped my CHP packet off with the clerk three days ago, and I've been thinking about an unusual lack of fingerprinting while I was there. VA Beach has a law about fingerprinting first-time applicants, which their website says
link?

denwego

johnfenter

imported post

Correct; they are behind the times. I don't know how often the PD updates their site, or how often municode.com updates theirs, but VB no longer fingerprints. Last time I renewed, I downloaded the form from the VSP site, filled it in, had it notarized at a Pak n Post, and dropped the complete, notarized form with $50 cash at the window in the HQ building, got a receipt, and walked away. No demands for ID, or anything else.

VBPD does have some irritating notes on their site. For example, on their web page describing "what is suspicious"; http://www.vbgov.com/vgn.aspx?vgnextoid=5c7db4023704c010VgnVCM1000006310640aRCRD&vgnextchannel=cb9f54cf18ad9010VgnVCM100000870b640aRCRD&vgnextparchannel=c9dc54cf18ad9010VgnVCM100000870b640aRCRD

"Suspicious Vehicles" Defined:

Vehicle containing weapons - Suspicious under almost any circumstances.
POSSIBLE SIGNIFICANCE: Owner may engage in criminal activity.

So, if you are legally open carrying in your car, or just leave your legal handgun on the seat while driving, and someone sees it, they're supposed to call 911?! This section needs to be amended, I think...

They also demand your SSN for a criminal history record check on their Ride Along application, without the disclaimer that it's optional per the Federal Privacy Act. And, they have a policy that you cannot carry weapons on a ride along, right after the part where you have to sign a waiver that they are not responsible for anything that happens to you! This policy is a violation of VA Code 15.2-915.

LEO, what's your take on a ridealong carrying a CONCEALED pistol for self-protection? Given that the PD is not going to be held responsible for the safety of the rider, and that a concealed firearm cannot influence any interactions with suspects since they don't know it's there. There have been a few instances in the US where ridealong citizens have been murdered after the officers they were riding with were surprised and taken out...