• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shoots pitbull

Eagleeye

imported post

563 wrote:
Looks justified to me. case closed. owners need to be more responsible if they don't want there beloved pets killed
+1

No Excuse for having a aggressive dog not on a leash & fenced in properly.

ScottyT

imported post

I wonder if he got it in the throat point blank, "No Country for Old Men" style... that was intense!

+1 for this dude for doing what was necessary, especially since this dog had been reported before. It breaks my heart that people would raise such beautiful animals in a way that makes them so violent and aggressive, let alone allowing those same animals to roam around the neighborhood.:cuss:

Sheldon

imported post

A couple years ago my oldest daughter put the gun I bought her for her 21st birthday SW 649 to good use. she shot a red pit bull that was attacking her Llamas, the dog had already killed a goat and a couple of ducks before she ended it once and for all.

imported post

Was this the incident reported in the news in which the dog ripped off the testicles of the llama? or was that a different case?

Sheldon

imported post

563 wrote:
Was this the incident reported in the news in which the dog ripped off the testicles of the llama? or was that a different case?
Different one, the dog ripped the leg up so badly that a very valuable llama ended up dead, when she got there the dog was trying to rip the stomach out of the bigger one, that was when she screamed "Get away from my animals" and then it was "Bang.... Bang, bang, bang"

PT111

imported post

A friend of mine was on jury duty in which there was a case of a man suing another for killing his dogs. It seemed as if the the man would let his dog run loose and they killed2 of his cows. He told the man that if he caught them killing another cow he was going to kill the dogs. About a week later he caught the dogs killing one cow and had already killed another so he shot the dogs. They were on his property inside of his pasture where his cows were and the owner had been warned. The fellow sued anyway for the loss of his dogs.

Since the jury in a civil court did not require a unanimous verdict my friend was able to get the other jurors just to call it even and the fellow didn't have to pay for the two dogs but did not get anything for his cows. Most of the other jurors wanted to make the man pay for the dogs.

imported post

PT111 wrote:
A friend of mine was on jury duty in which there was a case of a man suing another for killing his dogs. It seemed as if the the man would let his dog run loose and they killed2 of his cows. He told the man that if he caught them killing another cow he was going to kill the dogs. About a week later he caught the dogs killing one cow and had already killed another so he shot the dogs. They were on his property inside of his pasture where his cows were and the owner had been warned. The fellow sued anyway for the loss of his dogs.

Since the jury in a civil court did not require a unanimous verdict my friend was able to get the other jurors just to call it even and the fellow didn't have to pay for the two dogs but did not get anything for his cows. Most of the other jurors wanted to make the man pay for the dogs.
Seems like the cows would have more value than a couple of mutts. next time, bury the evidence.

They never pick me for Jury duty :(

MetalChris

imported post

563 wrote:
Seems like the cows would have more value than a couple of mutts. next time, bury the evidence.

They never pick me for Jury duty :(
Me neither...only sheeple get picked for jury duty (mostly) :cuss:

cwp

imported post

Why didn't they file a motion to dismiss using:

Code:
[code]                                  TITLE  25
ANIMALS
CHAPTER 28
DOGS
25-2806.  LIABILITY FOR LIVESTOCK AND POULTRY KILLED BY DOGS. The owner,
possessor, or harborer of any dog or animal that kills, worries, or wounds any
livestock and poultry which are raised and kept in captivity for domestic or
commercial purposes, is liable to the owner of the same for the damages and
costs of suit, to be recovered before any court of competent jurisdiction:
1.  In the prosecution of actions under the provisions of this section it
is not necessary for the plaintiff to show that the owner, possessor, or
harborer of such dog or other animal had knowledge of the fact that such dog
or other animal would kill or wound livestock or poultry which are raised and
kept in captivity for domestic or commercial purposes.
2.  Any person, on finding any dog, not on the premises of its owner or
possessor, worrying, wounding, or killing any livestock or poultry which are
raised and kept in captivity for domestic or commercial purposes, may, at the
time of so finding said dog, kill the same, and the owners thereof can sustain

no action for damages against any person so killing such dog.
As a ruling on law, that should have been a slam dunk.
--Carl

[/code]

Sheldon

imported post

PT111 wrote:
A friend of mine was on jury duty in which there was a case of a man suing another for killing his dogs. It seemed as if the the man would let his dog run loose and they killed2 of his cows.

In Michigan there are very specific laws that protect the farm owner. If caught harassing farm animals it is a instant death sentence for a dog.

All dogs are required by law to be either under the direct control of the owner or confined on their property. A dog running loose in the country can be considereda nuisance andas long as it is a clean kill (don't let it go home wounded or AKA SSS), nothing is ever said.

In my daughters case the dog owner is fully liable for any and all damages done by their animal and no charges can be brought against her in court.

And yet another true story, a few years back some woman wrote into the local paper complaining about how her poor puppy was poisoned, how could anyone do such a cruel and horrible thing.....

A few days later the rest of the story came out...

There were several dogs in the area that died from the same poison, autopsy's and a further investigation showed it to be some kind of farm fertilizer, apparently the dogs hadlicked some Mt bags that had been stored for disposal...

That were traced to a farm almost 4 miles away, yeah nothing ever came of that either.

imported post

Here's a question, but first a story to frame the question.

Several years ago I was awakened early one morning to the sound of dogs barking and fighting, at first I thought nothing of it, as we always had stray dogs running around our neighborhood. after a few mins I suddenly hear the sound of a cat in distress. I jump out of bed, looked out my bedroom window, and witnessed 2 dogs playing tug'o'war with one of my cats in my front yard, Immediately I ran outside and responded to the location of my cat and chased away the dogs. (2 Border collies)

When I got to my cats location, it was too late, the dogs managed to break the back of my cat, and was unable to walk. this happened on a sunday. and I lived in the middle of BFE, all Vet offices were closed, So I had no choice but to put my own cat down.

in many county's Cats are not considered property, but yet Dogs are considered property. so my question is this, in the unlikely event the above scenerio happens agian. would I be within my rights to shoot and kill a vicious dog(s) if I discover them attacking one of my pet cats on my property?

Sheldon

imported post

563 wrote:

Several years ago I was awakened early one morning to the sound of dogs barking and fighting, at first I thought nothing of it, as we always had stray dogs running around our neighborhood. after a few mins I suddenly hear the sound of a cat in distress. I jump out of bed, looked my window, and there were 2 dogs playing tug'o'war with one of my cats in my front yard, Immediately I ran outside and responded to the location of my cat and chased away the dogs. (2 Border collies)

When I got to my cats location, it was too late, the dogs managed to break the back of my cat, and was unable to walk. this happened on a sunday. and I lived in the middle of BFE, all Vet offices were closed, So I had no choice but to put my own cat down.

in many county's Cats are not considered property, but yet Dogs are considered property. so my question is this, in the unlikely event the above scenerio happens agian. would I be within my rights to shoot and kill a vicious dog(s) if I discover them attacking one of my pet cats on my property?
The 3 S's cover this one Shoot Shovel Shutup

imported post

Sheldon wrote:
563 wrote:

Several years ago I was awakened early one morning to the sound of dogs barking and fighting, at first I thought nothing of it, as we always had stray dogs running around our neighborhood. after a few mins I suddenly hear the sound of a cat in distress. I jump out of bed, looked my window, and there were 2 dogs playing tug'o'war with one of my cats in my front yard, Immediately I ran outside and responded to the location of my cat and chased away the dogs. (2 Border collies)

The 3 S's cover this one Shoot Shovel Shutup
Where I live now, I have neighbors. so that is not an option.

sccrref

imported post

cwp wrote:
Why didn't they file a motion to dismiss using:

Code:
TITLE 25
ANIMALS
CHAPTER 28
DOGS
25-2806. LIABILITY FOR LIVESTOCK AND POULTRY KILLED BY DOGS. The owner,
possessor, or harborer of any dog or animal that kills, worries, or wounds any
livestock and poultry which are raised and kept in captivity for domestic or
commercial purposes, is liable to the owner of the same for the damages and
costs of suit, to be recovered before any court of competent jurisdiction:
1. In the prosecution of actions under the provisions of this section it
is not necessary for the plaintiff to show that the owner, possessor, or
harborer of such dog or other animal had knowledge of the fact that such dog
or other animal would kill or wound livestock or poultry which are raised and
kept in captivity for domestic or commercial purposes.
2. Any person, on finding any dog, not on the premises of its owner or
possessor, worrying, wounding, or killing any livestock or poultry which are
raised and kept in captivity for domestic or commercial purposes, may, at the
time of so finding said dog, kill the same, and the owners thereof can sustain

no action for damages against any person so killing such dog.
Code:
As a ruling on law, that should have been a slam dunk.
--Carl
Maybe they were wild cows and the owner was not raising themfor anycommercial purposes. Yea. Yea, that must be it. I am sure that came out at trial. :banghead::banghead: End sarcasm. I agree it should have been a slam dunk and the owner of the dogs made to pay for the cows, the rounds to kill his dogs, expense of getting them off the property, the call to the police and any other expenses incurred by the owner of the cows.

imported post

bourneshooter wrote:
Did you get the SBR done on that P90 563?

Whats another tax stamp for that gun? Hush it up!
you mean the PS90, the P90's are the full auto's for military and LE, I wish it was a P90!

In 2 weeks, I'll be ordering the SBR's (2) and will order a 2nd PS90, with a M4-2000 can. so I can use it on my 22's (GSG-5), 223's, and the 5.7x28mm. Still waiting for my Evo 45 can!

they are coming out with a 100rd magazine for the PS90's soon!

I'm going on a spending spree next month!

PT111

imported post

In my daughters case the dog owner is fully liable for any and all damages done by their animal and no charges can be brought against her in court.
Sad to say it doesn't always work that way just like the Castle Doctrine and motorcycle accidents. Deson'treally do any good to argue your case to St. Peter that you were in the right.