• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

not open carry but...

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely....................he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor

Your knife looks ok under that....

but.......your blade is more than 3 inches so stay away from a school.....

18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon (a) the property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (b) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (c) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
what exactly is legally clasified as "any dirk, bowie knife,"?

these seem like very loose definitions, especially a bowie.

I carry a cheap fixed handle knife with a tiny brass guard and a wannabe bone handle. Is that a "bowie"? :quirky

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

So an officer is permitted to empty my gun or take it from me while he is questioning me despite me having done nothing wrong? He is legally permitted to disarm me while questioing me?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely....................he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor

Your knife looks ok under that....

but.......your blade is more than 3 inches so stay away from a school.....

18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon (a) the property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (b) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (c) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
what exactly is legally clasified as "any dirk, bowie knife,"?

these seem like very loose definitions, especially a bowie.

I carry a cheap fixed handle knife with a tiny brass guard and a wannabe bone handle. Is that a "bowie"? :quirky
From Wiki -
In the USA, dirk is a word used in the knife laws of several states. While it generally means any double-edged knife, the legal meaning may vary from state to state.

Bowie knife specifically refers to a style of knife designed by Colonel David "Davy" Bowie, who lived in Texas, and originally created by James Black, though is commonly used to refer to any large sheath knife with a clip point. Bowie knives are commonly used as hunting knives.

Remember too that 308 covers weapons of like kind....

ProShooter

imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
So an officer is permitted to empty my gun or take it from me while he is questioning me despite me having done nothing wrong? He is legally permitted to disarm me while questioing me?

There is no legal authority to do it, nor is there a prohibition against it.

It all boils down to officer safety. In a court of law, the officer's safety (and yours) totally outweighs your feelingsbeing hurt because he unloaded your gun.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I have seen officers EMPTY the gun and magazine and give it back. I guess they are scared that you will "load it and fire quickly" before they have a chance to escape. :shock:
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Why is an officer trying to escape?

Back to knives, is it legal for me to keep a 6" survival knife in my first aid kit in my car? Does the federal transportation act that lets you travel with a gun apply to knives? On road trips I often drive through mountain roads of WV, and cutting down brush for shelter would suck with a 3" pocket folder.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
asforme wrote:
On road trips I often drive through mountain roads of WV, and cutting down brush for shelter would suck with a 3" pocket folder.

I'd much rather just sleep in my car with a 3" pocket folder.
Well I'd at least need to cut firewood. Come on, don't you watch survivor-man?

ProShooter

imported post

asforme wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
asforme wrote:
On road trips I often drive through mountain roads of WV, and cutting down brush for shelter would suck with a 3" pocket folder.

I'd much rather just sleep in my car with a 3" pocket folder.
Well I'd at least need to cut firewood. Come on, don't you watch survivor-man?
or, you could just flip on the heat control knob :)

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think you have a much better car than I. I don't trust mine that much.

So does anybody know if this would be illegal? Knife laws are entirely more complicated than gun laws, especially since they just list random names of knifes without a good definition for what they are.

Would a 6" survival knife in a closed container in the back of my car be considered illegally concealed in Virginia? Are there any applicable federal protections like the federal firearms transportation law?

Virginian683

imported post

The "Harbormaster of the City of Hopewell" exception always cracks me up everytime I read it. You have to wonder what kind of political connections the guy had at the time they wrote the law to get that put it there. :D

LEO 229 wrote
I have seen officers EMPTY the gun and magazine and give it back. I guess they are scared that you will "load it and fire quickly" before they have a chance to escape.:shock:
I guess it doesn't occur to them that if somebody had a mind to shoot a cop he would try it before he let himself be disarmed.

LEO 229

imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
The "Harbormaster of the City of Hopewell" exception always cracks me up everytime I read it. You have to wonder what kind of political connections the guy had at the time they wrote the law to get that put it there. :D

LEO 229 wrote
I have seen officers EMPTY the gun and magazine and give it back. I guess they are scared that you will "load it and fire quickly" before they have a chance to escape.:shock:
I guess it doesn't occur to them that if somebody had a mind to shoot a cop he would try it before he let himself be disarmed.
Agreed.

LEO 229

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
thorsmitersaw wrote:

It all boils down to officer safety. In a court of law, the officer's safety (and yours) totally outweighs your feelingsbeing hurt because he unloaded your gun.
If the officer has some justification to stop you (suspects you are involved in criminal activity in some way... before, during, or after... or believes you to be a danger to yourself or the public)he can certainly disarm you.

The courts have ruled that the officer has a right to work in a safe environment. In keeping that environment safe he can pat you down for weapons and can remove those weapons for his safely.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
If the officer has some justification to stop you (suspects you are involved in criminal activity in some way... before, during, or after... or believes you to be a danger to yourself or the public)he can certainly disarm you.

The courts have ruled that the officer has a right to work in a safe environment. In keeping that environment safe he can pat you down for weapons and can remove those weapons for his safely.
LEO 229 - You can pat me down anytime you want. :lol:

Yata hey

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
thorsmitersaw wrote:

I am not one to give two shits about "officer safety"

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

LEO 229 - You can pat me down anytime you want. :lol:

Yata hey
Careful, Citizen will get jealous...

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
From Wiki -
In the USA, dirk is a word used in the knife laws of several states. While it generally means any double-edged knife, the legal meaning may vary from state to state.

Bowie knife specifically refers to a style of knife designed by Colonel David "Davy" Bowie, who lived in Texas, and originally created by James Black, though is commonly used to refer to any large sheath knife with a clip point. Bowie knives are commonly used as hunting knives.

Remember too that 308 covers weapons of like kind....

hmm... then i suppose because my knife has a clip point it would be considered a "bowie". But I suppose then, because I do not hide it concealed, that it would be okie dokie, which is what I do anyway.

ProShooter

imported post

thorsmitersaw wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
thorsmitersaw wrote:

I am not one to give two shits about "officer safety"
Well then, perhaps you will be lucky enough to run into an officer who feels the same way about your safety..........then you'll be on even ground. :)