• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Action on Open Carry in State Parks

VApatriot

imported post

To make, what would other wise be a long story, short, Attorney General Bob McDonnell will hopefully soon be reviewing the validity of the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation’s policy that requires individuals, who wish to carry a firearm for personal protection while visiting one of Virginia’s state parks, to possess a CHP and carry concealed while in the park.

On 04/29/08 I sent a letter to my state senator (Ken T. Cuccinelli II) that explained why I believe that the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation’s current policy is contrary to state preemption, and I asked if he would request Attorney General McDonnell’s office to officially review and deliver an opinion of the validity of the current policy that the DCR put in place after former-Attorney General Kilgore’s 2002 review of the departments previous policy that hadput a complete ban on the carry of firearms by the general public in state parks.

On 05/22/08 I received a letter from Senator Cuccinelli that thanked me for bringing the matter to his attention and informed me that he had sent an official request for review to Attorney General McDonnell. Senator Cuccinelli also enclosed for me a copy of his letter to the Attorney General, which very clearly expressed his support of the right of Virginians to keep and bear arms and his wish to see the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation policy corrected.

Right know I am feeling very optimistic that Attorney General McDonnell with produce a favorable opinion for Virginia’s gun owners, and I am simply waiting for some further contact from Senator Cuccinelli.

I also sent this information to PVC through the contact section on the VCDL website, but my internet browser has been doing some strange stuff lately, and I can’t always quite tell for sure what went out O.K. and what didn’t. I hope that one way or another this will make its way to a VA-Alert, so everyone can have the opportunity to contact 1.the AG’s office to support a correction and 2. Senator Cuccinelli to thank him.

-Steve P.

Attachments

• Letter from Ken (blackout).JPG
    Letter from Ken (blackout).JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 228

vt357

imported post

That would be fantastic! Even more so in light of the possibility of being able to open carry in a national park based on those upcoming rule changes. Ken Cuccinelli has got to be one of the best representatives we have in VA. As sad as it would be for him to leave the state senate, what an even better AG he would make.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

That would be fantastic! Even more so in light of the possibility of being able to open carry in a national park based on those upcoming rule changes. Ken Cuccinelli has got to be one of the best representatives we have in VA. As sad as it would be for him to leave the state senate, what an even better AG he would make.

No, you would not be able to open carry in a National Park if the current NPS promulgated regulation passes because that is a federal regulations which explicitly states the firearm must be concealed. That's why it's important to leave comments on the regulatory change using the VA Alert suggested regulation wording.