• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new nember in dayton.

Timmer

imported post

hello, my name is Tim. i just fund this site a month ago, and have been doing a lot of reading. I have learned a lot. like for one, how crazey ohio law is about having a gun in a car.

when you guys open cary, what do you do about getting in and out of your cars? you cant really expect people to unload the gun, place it in the trunk, drive around unarmed. stop to get fuel at UDF, get out, go to the trunk, get your pice out, load it.......... yeda yeda yeda.. 'sides, wouldent that be brandishing? (ps, i cant spell to save my life, forgive me.)

i notice some of you all live close to me. karma, that waffle house you talked about carying in is the one i go to on sunday morning for cary out. i love waffle house :lol:

i just bought a new springfield xd 45 compact, i will be using it for my ccw when i get back home. i havent even shot it yet. bought it at the last bill goodmans. i work on a ohio river coal barge, and im gone for a month at a time, so its driving me crazy not being able to shoot it. but i get a month off to do a lot of shooting. :celebrate

id love to oc, but im scared of the cops more than anything. hearing about Legba makes me wonder what the hell is going on in this great country.

so do you guys just take your chances or what?

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Howdy Tim!

I live in Champaign County, but work in Dayton.

The car thing sucks, but only if you don't have a concealed carry (CC) license. If you have a CC, then you can open carry in your car. :)

For the last couple of months I've been open carrying whenever I'm out shopping, which is usually on the weekends. I haven't been hassled yet.

Timmer wrote:
id love to oc, but im scared of the cops more than anything.

Courage, my man, courage. You know those Minutemen in 1775? Did fear stop them? Open carry is a cake walk compared to what they went through. If they had the courage to fight the Redcoats (wich was illegal, BTW), certainly you can muster the courage to openly carry a handgun (which is legal).

Some quotes to think about:

He who lives in fear will never, in my judgment, be a free man. -- Virgil - "Epistulae" (c. 19 B.C.)

A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does his own personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Legba

imported post

I used to do the load/unload/trunk shuffle with the gun and ammo while driving, yeah. I ran afowl of the cops when I started driving a van without a trunk. The new senate bill 184 may relieve a lot of the bullshit about transporting guns, but I think it's still worthwhile to get a carry permit if you plan to travel with a gun and want it accessible.

-ljp

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Timmer wrote:
when you guys open cary, what do you do about getting in and out of your cars? you cant really expect people to unload the gun, place it in the trunk, drive around unarmed. stop to get fuel at UDF, get out, go to the trunk, get your pice out, load it.......... yeda yeda yeda.. 'sides, wouldent that be brandishing?
Does Ohio have a brandishing statute? If so, tell us what the text states in this matter.

Legba

imported post

Well, that falls in a grey area. If you're just loading/unloading at the trunk of your car in connection with transporting a gun, I don't think you would have problems. There's no "brandishing" law as such, but it might fall under the ubiquitous threat of "disorderly conduct" or "inducing panic" if you were handling/loadinga gun publicly (there's also a "making of a terroristic threat" law, but that would be a stretch unless you were doing something patently stupid, like handling a gun in a school parking lot).

I used to load up in the morning in the parking lot next to the shop here, which is right on the main thoroughfare in town (I now have to leave my hardware at work as a condition of probation). Had a few funny looks, but no dashes to the pay phone to call the police. Just holster the thing immediately and explain what you were doing if/when accosted by the Man. I'm sure their response will vary greatly by jurisdiction, but that's how it is still. Good luck and consider getting the permit so you don't have to worry about it. It would have saved me thousands of dollars if I had one already.

-ljp