• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vehicle Carry in Utah

eddified

imported post

Ok, I have read ScottyT's Utah Gun Law pamphletand based on that, it seems that I (as a NON-CCW holder) can only have a gun in my vehicle if it is 2 actions from firing, is this correct?

I am planning on getting my CCW soon, so then I will be able to keep a gun in my vehicle fully loaded, correct?

Now, after I get my CCW, what if I have a gun fully loaded in my car, but my wife is driving? Does it make a difference whether I'm in the car with her? I assume if I'm in the car with a her (after I obtain my CCW), it's OK for me to have a fully loaded gun in the car. However, if she's driving around town, she'll have to unload the gun before she pulls onto public roadways, right?

Just trying to grasp all the implications here.

If any of this is wrong, I'd really like to know, because I want to abide by the law.

Thanks

thx997303

imported post

Without the CCW, it has to be unloaded as per law, and perfectly visible. On the dash or the passenger seat is fine. But if you are in a school zone, the firearm must be unloaded and "securely encased" which does not mean in the glove box or center console. So if you were not in the vehicle, then your wife would need to abide by the rules set for people without permits.

And with a CCW, yes you can carry in the car when your wife is driving.

Outsider

imported post

Until you get your Concealed Carry Permit (CCP - AKA Concealed Firearm Permit {CFP}) you CANNOT carry a "loaded" firearm outside of your home. You must have an "unloaded" two mechanical actions (chambering a round and pulling the trigger) when outside of the home. If you or your wife or your brother is in the car without a CCP you must have an "unloaded" gun and it is best to have that gun is "plain view" when in the car just like open carry through Wal-Mart.

Once you get your CCP you can carry "loaded" and concealed all you want, but until then you have to carry "unloaded."

And since you are over 21 years of age with a clean record you should be fine.

thx997303

imported post

Outsider wrote:
If you or your wife or your brother is in the car without a CCP you must have an unloaded" gun and it is best to have that gun is "plain view" when in the car just like open carry through Wal-Mart.

He means that for anyone who does not have a CCP, this is the way it must be if you are carrying a firearm.

But if you have a CCP and you are the one carrying, then it doesn't matter who is in the car or driving the car, you may still carry loaded.

Just in case he misunderstands.:D

Outsider

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Outsider wrote:
If you or your wife or your brother is in the car without a CCP you must have an unloaded" gun and it is best to have that gun is "plain view" when in the car just like open carry through Wal-Mart.

He means that for anyone who does not have a CCP, this is the way it must be if you are carrying a firearm.

But if you have a CCP and you are the one carrying, then it doesn't matter who is in the car or driving the car, you may still carry loaded.

Just in case he misunderstands.:D

Gotcha. Mis-read.

eddified

imported post

So, If I'm sitting in the car (any seat, not necessarily driver's seat, but could be), and if the gun is in the glove box, then that is "concealed" and I have to have a CCP to do that. Gotcha.

Thanks.

Outsider

imported post

eddified wrote:
So, If I'm sitting in the car (any seat, not necessarily driver's seat, but could be), and if the gun is in the glove box, then that is "concealed" and I have to have a CCP to do that. Gotcha.

Thanks.
Yep yep. Anymore questions and TJ will answer then for you, he know much more then I do. Almost all I've learned is from him, Sgt Jensen and Dave. All greats guys. Two thumbs up!!!

thx997303

imported post

Lol I'm beginning to think that you are going out of your way to not mention me!

Ha! JK!:D

Yeah ask them, I learned all I know from them too!

Outsider

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Lol I'm beginning to think that you are going out of your way to not mention me!

Ha! JK!:D

Yeah ask them, I learned all I know from them too!

And a little bit from thx... :p

41 Magnum

imported post

Until you get a CCW permit-

DO NOT under ANY circumstances put your gun in the glove box or console, EVER! Not even if it's in a locked case and you have no ammo in the vehichle. Those two spots are speciffically mentioned as off limits in state code.

Why? Where do most people keep thier registartion and insurance materials?

swillden

imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
Until you get a CCW permit-

DO NOT under ANY circumstances put your gun in the glove box or console, EVER!
Not while you're in the car, anyway. If you don't have a better place, like a car safe, a locked glove box is a reasonable place to store your weapon while you're in a school or other location you can't carry. Just don't forget to take it out when you get back in the car.

Edit: Doh! I chose a very bad example of a place you might choose to lock your weapon in the glove box. Replace "school" above with "church".

tarzan1888

imported post

Outsider wrote:
Until you get your Concealed Carry Permit (CCP - AKA Concealed Firearm Permit {CFP}) you CANNOT carry a "loaded" firearm outside of your home.  You must have an "unloaded" two mechanical actions (chambering a  round and pulling the  trigger) when outside of the home...... 

.....Once you get your CCP you can carry "loaded" and concealed all you want, but until then you have to carry "unloaded.".....

This is not exactly true.

It applies ONLY to city streets and while driving in your car.

If you are hunting camping (not in a national park but OK in Forest Service and BLM ground) you can openly carry a fully loaded long gun OR hand gun, unless you are otherwise prohibited, such as in a game refuge or you are a felon etc.

Tarzan

thx997303

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Without the CCW, it has to be unloaded as per law, and perfectly visible. On the dash or the passenger seat is fine. But if you are in a school zone, the firearm must be unloaded and "securely encased" which does not mean in the glove box or center console. So if you were not in the vehicle, then your wife would need to abide by the rules set for people without permits.

And with a CCW, yes you can carry in the car when your wife is driving.